Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Control Arm Pivot Shaft Failure, Almost got the shaft...
bulitt
post Feb 9 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

So, pulled my control arms to change out the rubber bushings and they looked fine from the outside and the pivot shaft surface looked fine so for a moment I almost left them alone.

The procedure as documented by Eric in the classic section looked easy enough and since I had already purchased the bushings I decided to change them out.

Both shafts had heavy rust on the outside ends. Looks like the bushings were wore, allowing water to penetrate between the shaft and bushing.

Approx 120 degrees of one shaft was eaten away to the point I could stick a screwdriver into the shaft. This would have failed sometime in the future.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ww914
post Feb 9 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #2

914 Convert

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

I am certainly not surprised. In a partial restoration of my car I am finding that anything I take apart, needs to be cleaned, lubricated, painted or simply replaced. Guess that comes with 35 plus year old cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:57 PM