Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Share a quick 'haha', PO mysteries revealed!
mercdev
post Sep 3 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Read, search, then read some more

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,374

Having just started working on a 914, I decided to start with the electrical work last night. I managed to round up many of the needed relays/fuses/etc. from local sources and dug in.

After 3 or 4 hours, and a bunch of contact cleaner/scrubbing, I had brakelights, running lights, fog lights, head lights, and the interior light all functioning. Feeling pretty full of myself I decided to get IN to the cockpit and see what I could fix there (after all, I WAS superman at this point, right?). Foglight switch, new bulb, voila. Moving on... Cig. lighter? No problem! Cleaned the ground contact and re-seated, wooo! Defrost light? Hmm...that's weird...pull it on, nothing.

"Ok..." I think to myself. I start at the connection points on the rear window, cleaning and tracing the wiring up to the fuse panel. No problems so far! Fuse is good. Well...Ok. I'm feeling pretty brave. So I put YE OL' ARM under the dash to see if I could feel the wiring on the defrost. Switch isn't connected to anything at all. "Now we're getting somewhere!", I think to myself. Pull out the knob, unscrew the retainer, plop goes the switch.

So now, I'm at a point where I can't reach the switch because it's fallen back. "Ah crap!" A quick look at the speedometer housing, leads me to unscrewing the screws and removing. I look back and down in the direction of the defrost and what do I see?

A completely working defrost switch with with knob, bezel, etc. all together. Just sitting there. I pull the knob, it lights up, current hits the contact on the glass. WooOOOoOOOOoOOoO!

Now...I wonder what other, uh, interesting things I'm going to find? Anyone else have a previous owner mystery equally amusing at 4am? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 11:13 PM