Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exhaust bolts, Old vs. New
RustyWa
post May 3 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Working Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 72

Just pulled off my heat exchangers and exhaust manifold "thingy-ma-jig" off the heads from my stock '75. There seems to be quite a bit of difference between the old nuts that attach the manifold to the heads and the new nuts I got from Pelican.

Are the existing ones I took off stock? They are much thicker and look much more "stout".

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 3 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

That is what most shops would have used in the past. I dont *think* they are stock.

The ones on the right are what everyone one sells now. They are less prone to "rust" to the studs than the ones you pulled off.

Most parts places found this out several years ago. They come from the exhaust manifold of a 924.

You did good. What exhaust did you buy ?

B
+Quote Post
RustyWa
post May 3 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #3

Working Member

I picked up some 2.0L SS exchangers (used) and ended up with the Dansk OEM banana type....We'll see how it sounds and performs....I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It'll surely be better than that '75 exhaust I had on there.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 3 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

We received a Dansk today that we will cut up for "information" purposes. The quality is pretty good. It will sound just like a stock 73-74 914 with SS HE's and a stock banana muffler. You will like it.

B
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 3 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The ones on the left are the stock ones. They are really absurdly expensive--something like $10 each. The ones on the right are from an Audi (evidently a 924 as well) and work just fine. They are also much less $$, under a buck each I think.

Differences:
The new ones are shorter.
The new ones use a 12mm socket instead of 13mm; I have found the smaller socket is easier to get to the exhaust nuts when installed.
The new ones are "squeezed" to lock; the old ones have a slice taken out of them to lock.

They both have the "shoulder" that seats on the exhaust flange. They both are copper coated. They both work just fine.

--DD
+Quote Post
RustyWa
post May 3 2003, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Working Member

Thanks Dave. I've heard about the VW replacement ones, that are supposedly pretty bad to use. I don't have much history on the engine if it's every been apart and no idea what stock nuts looked like.

The old stockers are sliced? I was wondering how they locked in place.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:05 AM