Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Probs w/ Fuel inj. logical to swap to carb setup?
Jake Raby
post Sep 7 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The only solution either way comes from understanding either system that you choose.

If you don't understand it, its impossible to work with it!

I have a thorough understanding of carbs because I never gave up on them. I never had that luxury! When something kicks your ass and you are forced to make it work it has a way of force feding you with its understanding.

I shoot for simplicity, these engines were made by VW a company known for simplicity and practicality. Me definition of simple is effective, BUT only having as many components as it MUST.... Thats why I like the EMS system, it gets rid of alot of crap the stock system needed because its ancient.

Carbs may be ancient, but you'll appreciate that when you can patch it up on the side of the road and save a tow bill. These cars are all I have ever driven (aircooled VW and Porsche) and never once have I had to walk! I have had to patch things up many times but never had to walk.

Someone mentioned above that not everyone has my ability. That may be true, BUT each and every soul here has the capability to learn it(its not rocket science and I don't have a degree nor the first day of formal training in automotive engines! It can't be too hard if a dumbass like me can figure it out!

challenge yourself! Put out! No pain no gain!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Sep 8 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #22

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

[ "It can't be too hard if a dumbass like me can figure it out!" Jake Raby, 2004]

This quote is from somone who has probably forgotten more about air cooled motors that I will ever know? I am sure that will make my repair shop owner happy.

I think the next generation of computerized FI systems will be the ticket. In the next couple of years a lot of carburator folks may re-evaluate as will a lot of D and L jet owners.

That is why we keep on keeping on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 8 2004, 01:06 AM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

I am lucky.... When the good lord was thinking about me he gave me a little bit of an edge..

Due to this I haven't really forgotten any of what I have learned... A few years into school my teachers noticed that I never forgot anything. They gave me some tests and found out that I had a photograpic memory..

when I spell I don't sound words out, I remember where I saw them and then spell them! I don't type normally either, I just have the key positions memorized but not in the conventional manner....

All my combos are in my head, I have 43 camshaft grinds memorized to the digit, carb jetting, timing and the works...... I did get lucky!
+Quote Post
Next GenRacing
post Sep 8 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,701

well i am definatly more comfortable w/ FI believe it or not, i am 20 years old and have a 423WHP neon (believe it or not) i am using a product called SMT6 built by perfect power (its similar to mega squirt, it has pretty complete fuel and ignition tuning ability's) anyway i just didnt want to pay for another full session of dyno tuning $$$$. i am just stumped on this one. the worst part is that it worked for about a day all the sudden, then it stopped working again. i dont want it to be that unreliable, it would be worth it to me to have the reliablity of the carbs. otherwise i think i may just try and start replacing the FI system till i get it worked out (problme is w/ this the cost could be much higher then a carb setup)

also the carb kit i was looking at was on ebay, it was a progressive weber setup, it was also a single carb kit.

thanks for the replys i'll keep everyone informed.
Danny
+Quote Post
Next GenRacing
post Sep 8 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,701

also how do i adjust the spring in the air flow sensor? i used to mess around w/ some electronic stuff under the black cap, but my new one has the black cap glued on and i dont want to loose a warrenty cause i took it apart.

thanks
Danny
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 8 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #26

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The progressive single carb setups suck. Tuning them so they work under all conditions is very difficult. I tried for several weeks and ultimately gave up. I don't know of anyone that's managed to get one working acceptably. If you're not at all picky about drivability, they're a cheap alternative, but if you're used to EFI drivability, it will drive you nuts.

The L-Jet airflow meter can be opened, and once you see the spring, it's pretty obvious what needs to happen. There are several adjustment notches, and the looser the spring, the richer the mixture. You REALLY need to buy one of the books mentioned above. It sounds like the L-Jet is very close to working. It's also possible the "old" one still works, since swapping to a new one didn't fix it. Try adjusting the old one. If you approach it systematically and eliminate all possible problems, you'll eventually stumble across the problem. Sounds to me like it's something really stupid you're overlooking. Happens to everyone.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 8 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

warrenty
.....from who??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

do a search here for L-jet info, I know a few good links have been posted in the past...the L-jet is so simple it's not even funny once you figure out what does what......basicly, the engine during it's intake stroke creates a vac, opening the flapper door, when the flapper door opens, it turns on the fuel pump and engerizes the injectors (when the key is on)...if you have any vac leaks, the engine will have a harder time "sucking" in the air in order to open the flapper valve.......

find the vac leaks either with the method Otto mentioned or I mentioned (disconnect the hoses going the air intake tube, and plug or cover the holes in the tube)....
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 8 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #28

Engine Surgeon

The Weber progressive is not classified as a Carburetor.

Its a piece of shit that should be recycled and used to make new Hondas with.
Pure junk
+Quote Post
Andy
post Sep 20 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,194

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 8 2004, 03:04 PM)
The Weber progressive is not classified as a Carburetor.

Its a piece of shit that should be recycled and used to make new Hondas with.
Pure junk

Talk about a definitive answer!

Funny thing is I haven't been lurking around much lately and missed this thread, just did a search for "progressive weber" since it sounded like an easy cheap way to get my type IV off the garage floor... I guess not...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:15 AM