Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tired or ordering parts, just tired of the attitude...
thomasotten
post Sep 9 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

I am really getting tired of placing orders for parts. I don't want to mention any names but I just placed an order from this place that borders a state that got hit real hard by the last hurricane, and there is just this attitude or smugness that just rubs me the wrong way. I asked if a particular item they had was OEM. Instead of just saying, "I'm sorry, OEM is not available on that part", I get "Now, you tell me where your going to find an OEM of that!" I mean, it's not said in a mean way, but I get off the phone feeling like a kid asking his Dad for something and being told no. And it's just not this one place, I have experienced this with other places and even walk-up places.

It is like the people who dish out the parts have this gnostic know-it-all smugness. If you show any sign of doubt or questions, they sieze on that to show how they know so much more. I am getting to the point that I would just rather place orders completely online, or from Ebay.

Rant Over
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 9 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

You should send the exact same message to the attention of the sales manager of that company. I don't think they want that attitude from their employee. Someone may get their chain jerked and for good reason.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Sep 9 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #3

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

You should tell Dr. Hustle to move to the Florida Keys!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 9 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #4

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

To slightly change the subject, I hate getting jacked over on parts when you try and support the little guy and buy locally.

I've been swapping out shocks on my daily driver Jetta. I didn't have the forsight to order new rubber bits when I was ordering the shocks so when I went to buy them locally the price is 3.5X the online rate. Screw that. I am not paying $70 for two bump stops that probably cost 15 cents to manufacture especially when I can get them online for $10/each. Who cares if I have to pay $7 in shipping I'm still way ahead.

$70 was from the dealer so I tried another place that specializes in German parts. They wanted $20/each. I told them that the online places charge $10 and then he gave me the song and dance about how they operate on a 10% margin and drop ship everything but he would sell them for $15/each but they were out of stock and I'd have to wait 2 days. I get the messsage - just order from the online places and save the bucks. I'm not getting any service or knowledge from these guys.
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Sep 9 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

I would never deal with those criminals. If you are looking for new 914 parts, I would call GPR German Parts & Restoration in SLO California @ 800-321-5432
They should have everything you need.
+Quote Post
post Sep 9 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 703

You can call and complain all you want, I think they encourage rudeness there! I dared not to have ordered the "Tips" guidebook they are so proud of and wanted to order a control arm - they said you better buy the book, read it, then call us when you know what you are talking about. I have never used them since. Turns out, my control arm is bent and i needed a new one (guess i knew what i was talking about after all)....
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 9 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

You should send the exact same message to the attention of the sales manager of that company

If this is the company I think it is, contacting the sales manager will, if anything, get you even more attitude. They continue to exist primarily because of a regular flow of new customers who don't know any better.

To slightly change the subject, I hate getting jacked over on parts when you try and support the little guy and buy locally.

The life of a retail parts house is hard, esp. now. The smarter ones aren't fighting, but joining, setting up e-commerce sites and expanding their business with phone and online orders, rather than just trying to survive on local business.

I had a conversation with a guy who runs a one-man British parts place that's been in business for nearly 30 years. Business was very good then, and stayed good until about 10 years ago. The slow decline in the number of British cars still needing parts, coupled with the growth of the mail/online businesses, are hurting him badly. However, I don't feel too bad for the guy, because he's refusing to change to adapt, or even go out of his way to reverse the trend. I asked him if we was planning to attend a local British car show that was happening that particular weekend, and he looked at me like I was insane, saying he didn't have time for that. Now, think, advertising costs serious money (he only has an ad in the Yellow Pages!), but with little return. Paying for a booth at a car show full of dedicated and local customers who probably didn't even know he existed would have a far better return. He completely failed to grasp that supporting local clubs and making himself visible at events paid off far better than an ad in a phone book no one even looks at anymore. Zero on-line presence, and no desire to acquire one. Yet his shop is in one of the most plugged-in areas in the country.

I do try to support local businesses, but some clearly don't deserve to be supported. The successful ones do support the local clubs. The most succesful actually create events (Moss Motors, one of the top retailers of British parts in the US, has a huge event every year).
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 9 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #8

2270 club

If the bump stops had been in stock I would have bought them at the inflated $20/each (2X of Worldpac price). But if they can't even keep basic stuff in stock and then tell customers that we can get it in two days what's the point? I can get it in two days as well for less $$$.

You're right. Shops/part houses need to adapt if they can't survive just on service. For VWs, New Dimensions in Santa Clara is the model business. They have had an internet presence for 10+ years (started in the newsgroup days). They do top notch service. They are helpful and friendly, they send me a nice newsletter once or twice a year, and they have charity car shows every year that bring hundreds of people to their business.

It surprises me that no Porsche shop in the Bay Area runs a similar operation. I guess most good Porsches shops are full up with service calls anyway.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Sep 9 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #9

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I think this is a growing trend of lesser customer service and it is not just limited to parts suppliers.

Same scenario happens to me almost weekly at Barnes and Noble. Do you have Porsche, Ducati, Triumph book XYZ? "No, we can order it and have it ready for you to pick up here at the store in two weeks". No thanks, I'll just order it from Amazon.com and have it tmorrow (OK, or three days later if I go priority mail).

The online suppliers seem to fall into two main catagories as well.

1.) I'll sell you this piece of crap part because you won't know any better and what can you do about it. Once I get your credit card number you are dead to me. I could never imagine any value of your repeat business or care for that matter. I'm so cool, I don't need any repeat customers, I make plenty of money without 'em.

2.) I'll sell you the part you need, the exact part you need, and if you need special washers & nuts for the part I will alert you about it before checking out. I will also provide you with step by step instructions or point you to an excellent online article detailing the install. I will meet or exceed your every expectation to earn your repeat business. If something does go wrong, I will own the problem and do whatever it takes to make it right.

I know what sort of companies are getting my business.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Sep 9 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

There just isn't any human interaction in business any more. I would rather buy a part in person than order from someone over the phone who doesn't know me or my car or much about anything but is going to try and impress me with what a genious he is. If you know exactly what you want, the internet or phone orders are ok but if you have any questions...good luck. It's hard getting help and advice on the phone anymore especially when the person you are talking to is in India. Find someone local, someone you like and trust. Good luck to us all.
Cheers, Elliot Cannon
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Sep 9 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #11

OK, now I am totally pissed. I just checked my email and I get the Fedex shipping info on the order I placed at 8 AM Tuesday morning, saying "Can I still get this by Saturday?" The answer was yes, and since shipments from the state near Florida to my house have been 3-days in the past, I decided OK, I'll go with them. And I even bought the freekin tech tips so I don't have to hear "well, you know if you had the tech tips...blah blah blah" anymore.

Well, what does the Fedex email say? What do you know. Just shipped today. Won't arrive till 9 freekin 14! I am so pissed because I ordered the engine bay seals for my car...the only thing keeping me from putting my engine back in. So there goes the whole weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Sep 9 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

No offense, but what baffles me is how you still ordered there after hearing all the comments on this BBS. It's like that story of the guy who goes to the doctor and says it hurts when I do this...

DON'T DO IT!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Sep 9 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #13

Well, I guess I order from them because I have never really been screwed in a monetary sense by them. I know there is a lot of loathing on this board for them, but I really haven't found a good replacement for them. I suppose Pelican will be my new way to go...never have to talk to anyone.

But I guess its my fault. WHen I restarted this 914 project after a 7 year absence, I made a decision to go with the best parts, even if it ment I had to wait longer to get them. So I really wanted to get the engine in this weekend, so I ordered from who I thought would get me the parts the fastest.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Sep 9 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #14

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

It amazes me how many horribly run businesses are out there. In the long run the ones that give good customer service and fair prices will succeed. Most small businesses out there need repeat customers and referals to thrive. If you treat your customers like crap eventually there won't be any new ones.
IMHO
+Quote Post
mercdev
post Sep 9 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #15

Read, search, then read some more

Member No.: 2,374

(sorry if this diverts attention!)

As many times as HPH is mentioned around here, do they have a website?
+Quote Post
smg914
post Sep 9 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #16

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

http://www.highperformancehouse.com/
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 9 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #17

2270 club

I suppose Pelican will be my new way to go...never have to talk to anyone.

Actually, you'll have a better experience with Pelican if you call them especially if you need parts in a certain amount of time. Their problem is that their web site doesn't show real time instock/out of stock status so you don't know if your order will take 3 days or 3 weeks.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Sep 9 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #18

That is why I called that place in the state where Zell Miller is from. I figured if I said "need it by Saturday" and I am in a 3-4 day FedEx region, there should be no problem. Personally, I think they had all the parts, but it is those people that work there that are to blame. Probobly the guy that is doing that "914 Extreme Makeover" was the guy that handled my order. I still don't know what is so extreme about that car, but that's another story...
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Sep 9 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,348

QUOTE(mercdev @ Sep 9 2004, 06:38 PM)
(sorry if this diverts attention!)

As many times as HPH is mentioned around here, do they have a website?

http://www.highperformancehouse.com/

P.S.

Did you get my email about that car?
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Sep 9 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,348

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 9 2004, 06:53 PM)
Probobly the guy that is doing that "914 Extreme Makeover" was the guy that handled my order. I still don't know what is so extreme about that car, but that's another story...

I'm wondering how many more years it will take them to either finish the car, or update their website... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 04:50 PM