Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What RPM Do You Shift At??
Brad Roberts
post May 4 2003, 05:45 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I think its the cam. The injection is more than capable of handling 20+ more hp.

We picked up about 300-400 RPM more useable HP+Torque by running a better valve spring.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 4 2003, 05:50 PM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So better valve springs and chromemoly pushrods?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 4 2003, 06:00 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Actually just the valve springs. The pushrods are really light from the factory.

The valve springs dont do anything except keep the valves from floating above 5k RPM. Basically better valve train control to get the max out of the stock cam.

B
+Quote Post
Demick
post May 5 2003, 10:14 AM
Post #24

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

If you want to be scientific about your shift point, here it goes:

First, you need a torque curve for the car. I will use Geoff's curve that he posted (I reposted it below so you don't have to look back and forth).

The 914 torque curve is almost flat up to about 4300rpm (I will assume it is flat at 108 ft-lbs).

Second, you need to know how much your gear ratio changes for the shift. For autocross, people are most interested in the 2nd to 3rd shift point, so that is what I will use here. Stock 914-4 transaxles have a 1.889 ratio 2nd gear, and a 1.261 ratio 3rd gear. This means that your gear ratio changes by about 33% when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. Two important things happen in this change: 1. Your RPM will drop by 33%, and 2. For a given torque generated by the engine, your torque at the rear wheels will drop by 33%. Since it is the torque at the rear wheels that actually accelerates the car, this is a very important number. This also means that we need to make 33% more engine torque in order to maintain the same acceleration when we shift from 2nd to 3rd.

Now, back to the torque curve. Pretty much wherever we make the shift, we will drop back into our 108 ft-lbs of torque region. In order to have gained 33% torque in this transition, we need to have had about 81 ft-lbs of torque before the shift. On the graph, this corresponds to about 5400 rpm. This is the ideal shift point from 2nd to 3rd gear to maintain maximum acceleration.

Working through the same math, ideal shift points for 3rd to 4th is 5300rpm. 4th to 5th is 5250rpm.

Note, this applies to Geoff's '76 2.0, and will change dependent on the torque curve for your car, and any difference in gear ratios you have.

Makes sense?

Demick
'74 2.0

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post May 5 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #25

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

So, how fast should you be going to use 5th on the freeway?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 5 2003, 11:58 AM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ May 5 2003, 10:26 AM)
So, how fast should you be going to use 5th on the freeway?

depends on your wheel size ...

i only use 5th for cruising. with the current speed-limits, i wouldn't actually need 5th, could stay in 4th easily ...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porsche735
post May 5 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 127

Demick,
I agree with your logic. That is exactly what I do on the track, just shy of redline. From about 5400 to redline, you really don't get much extra pull, an upshift serves you better. Of course, it is dependent on your specific torque curve. Running headers, different valve springs, different cam, higher compression, etc. will change things a bit, so use teh dyno run from those changes...

Chris
+Quote Post
Jeff Krieger
post May 5 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #28

Unregistered

This discussion makes me think of the new cars equipped with continously variable transmissions. They're supposed to always be in the right "gear" at the right time but they're probably not nearly as much fun as a nice shifting manual tranny - like in a BMW or Honda or something.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 30 2003, 03:25 PM
Post #29

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Resurrecting an old thread here. One of the 944 guys did some good work recently on the subject. He used a spreadsheet to graph things for him, using his 944's torque curve. He graphed the total drive-wheel thrust versus road speed for the various gears, also including the ring and pinion and the tire size.

The interesting thing to note is what happens when you change tire diameters...

http://members.rennlist.com/944sandmore/sh...ftingpoints.htm

--DD
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 30 2003, 04:35 PM
Post #30

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Interesting to see it presented graphically like that. Helps to understand the tradeoff on tire sizes.

However, tire diameters change how fast you will accelerate in a given gear, and how fast you can go in that gear, but have no impact on the optimal RPM to shift gears. Shift RPM is determined solely by the engine torque curve, and the transmission ratio change between the 2 gears, as I explained a few posts back.

Demick
'74 2.0
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jul 30 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #31

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

i like to shift at 5l or 5.2k
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jul 30 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #32

Society Is A Hole

Member No.: 908

QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ May 3 2003, 06:16 PM)
This topic came up on the other BBS and I read lots of interesting opinions. I'm wondering what are the thoughts of the folks on this BBS. It seems to me I have been shifting too early and cruising in too high a gear. I was cruising at about 2400, maybe I shoulda been down a gear and running a higher RPM. Also, on a stock 2.0 at about what mph on the freeway do you take 5th gear? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

2400 seems very low to me. I am rarely below 3000 unless I've spaced out on shifting (hey, it happens) or am expecting to accelerate very soon. Cruising speed is always 3200-3500, regardless of gear. And I usually crank it up to nearly 4000 before shifting into 5th.

I know that my speedometer doesn't read correctly, so I drive mostly by the tach.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Jul 30 2003, 08:00 PM
Post #33

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Thank you to the recent posters on this thread. Since I first posted this thread way back when, I have really begun to pay attention to my tach more and now I'm shifting at about 4500 to 5000 and cruising at 3000. If you could see my avatar better, you'd see that I have the tach turned so that the red line is at 12:00 o'clock. I used to shift by sound without even looking at the tach, but I was always shifting too soon. Now I watch the tach. I guess that when I've done it this way long enough to get used to the different sound at the higher RPMs I'll be able to shift by sound again (only at the right RPM, not too soon)
rrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRnow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 30 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #34

retired

Member No.: 313

to just add to the confusion......

I shift as soon as I get into the rev limiter.....on my 3.2 its only 6800 rpm (Ill have to check the chip)

I dont look at the tach much..
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jul 30 2003, 09:30 PM
Post #35

R

Member No.: 79

Thanks Dave, that is a good way to graph it. I just put my
supposed torque curve to it, and it showed shift at redline
(6300) or higher (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) for everything except 4-5, which
is ~5000.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 30 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #36

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

If I am cruising less than 75, the car usually stays in 4th, and it may stay there @ 85, depends on how much fun I am having.

M
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:52 AM