Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Backpad Removal, How do you do it without damaging it?
PorscheTom
post Sep 10 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Will work for an Avatar.

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,057

Hello all,

I'm going to get my engine lid hinge mount repaired next week. My welder guy would like me to remove the backpad from the car so he doesn't accidently set it on fire while welding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) I can go for that too!

Anyway, I don't believe its ever been out. Can someone describe how to remove it without damaging it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Any info would be appreciated. I did not seem to find this information when I searched the site, so maybe describing the process is something new...? The shop manual was not real descriptive about the process.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 10 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Take seats out, take center tray out completely... then remove the 4 screws (2 behind each seat). Then pull the bottom of the backpad towards the front of the car... the top of the backpad will release from the firewall clips and you can take it out.

Or you can do what I did and stuff a wet rag behind it while welding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
PorscheTom
post Sep 10 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Will work for an Avatar.

Hey Royce,

Wow! That was a fast reply, thanks! One more question, what holds it to the firewall at the top?

Thanks!
Tom
+Quote Post
RAR
post Sep 10 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,598

Are you speaking of the pad in the engine bay or cockpit? I'd get a new lightweight pad to replace the heavy engine bay pad.
+Quote Post
Joe.D
post Sep 10 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #5

MCMLXXIII MCCM

Member No.: 830

A few more details:

You also need to remove the engine lid release knob, and the trim right behind it. The trim ring has 2 pin holes in it, into which you can insert some small tool, so you can rotate it to remove it.

You may also need to remove the cover over the handbrake cables. 2 small phillips head screws hold the plate on.

The backpad has clips that fit under a slot at the top of the firewall, You need to remove the backpad by moving the bottom edge inward and downward. Don't pull from the top.

Joe
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 10 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #6

It has metal tabs that are part of the backpad, and the point up. The firewall has metal pockets that face down. Unless you pull the bottom of the backpad out first, allowing the tabs to come out of the pockets, the tabs will tear out of the cardboard backpad material.

As for the tar pad under the backpad, unless you're really concerned about not hearing the engine, take it out... it's heavy and can be a water trap. On the engine compartment side (depending on the year) you may also have an insulating pad... this one is fiberous and is definnitely a water trap. Take it off and see how much rust it's been feeding. Now would also be a good time to make sure your rear glass is sealing. BUT... keep a handle on things, it can quickly become a long chain of "now would also be a good time for..." and before you know it your 914 becomes garage art for 5 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 10 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #7

Joe: ooh, I forgot about those... how quickly I forget (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Sep 10 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #8

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(bondo @ Sep 10 2004, 04:05 PM)
keep a handle on things, it can quickly become a long chain of "now would also be a good time for..." and before you know it your 914 becomes garage art for 5 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

He speaks the truth...ATDT (am there doing that) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 10 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Here's a thread that shows what the tabs look like.

Repairing Missing Backpad Tabs
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 10 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #10

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I say get motivated, get in there and do as much as you can now.

I know this to be true.
lots done in short time

Why put it off? Get it done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 10 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #11

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bondo @ Sep 10 2004, 05:05 PM)
As for the tar pad under the backpad, unless you're really concerned about not hearing the engine, take it out... it's heavy and can be a water trap. On the engine compartment side (depending on the year) you may also have an insulating pad

Yes get them out of there...save 25 pounds!

KT
+Quote Post
PorscheTom
post Sep 11 2004, 09:13 AM
Post #12

Will work for an Avatar.

Thanks for all of the tips guy! This board is great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I think I'll remove the insulating pad inside the car at this time. I don't mind the engine sound. Inside the engine compartment, there is a replacement sponge rubber type pad someone put in there. It's not too old but I'm planning on at least pulling it out (rust sponge) and por-15 the area - inside and out. The back window is not rattling so I hope it's not leaking either but I'm sure I'll find out.

I am worried a bit about firewall rust. I'm not ready to get into that right now. I have plans for the car about three years down the road though...heh heh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Sep 11 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #13

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

If your rear window doesn't leak, there shouldnt be a lot of rust...

Unless you car sits open-top near sprinklers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:01 PM