Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Manolo Perez of Van Nuys, Starting to sound like a scammer
Chris914n6
post Sep 11 2004, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Jackstands are my life.

Group: Members
Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Anyone here have previous experience with this guy?

He bought an upper dash pad from me on Ebay, asked for an extra $65 in insurance, then emails me tonight that it was damaged by UPS and hopes I used the little extra shipping money he paid me without prior approval to get the $300 in insurance.
98% positive feedback with nothing negative for over 12 months.

I asked for pics for proof. I hope this doesn't become a headache or a need to find a 'problem-solver'.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 11 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

You, as the shipper, have to call UPS and file the claim. They then will inspect it and give you their determination. They will want to see the original packaging. It would be nice if you had an image of the unit prior to shipping.

You customer can claim anything he wants, UPS (actually their insurance agency) will give the thumbs up or down.

Been through this about 5 times with UPS.

Good luck!!!!! (and bitch loudly about their poor practices in handling packages).
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 11 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

ups. i refuse to ship with them. period. with fedex the first $100 insured value is included. over that they want to see the item, meaning, take the box you are going to ship unsealed. did he pay for insurance for the purchase value, or is he looking to claim for the value of a NEW dash top? what does he state the damage is?

kevin
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 11 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #4

Jackstands are my life.

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 11 2004, 05:52 AM)
You, as the shipper, have to call UPS and file the claim. They then will inspect it and give you their determination. They will want to see the original packaging. It would be nice if you had an image of the unit prior to shipping.

You customer can claim anything he wants, UPS (actually their insurance agency) will give the thumbs up or down.

Good luck!!!!! (and bitch loudly about their poor practices in handling packages).

He asked for insurance a good chunk over purchase price. I knew I would be the one making the claim so it didn't really make sence for him to ask, specially since he stated problems with UPS before in the email and should know how it works by now.

I've boxed seats and fenders with no problems so I'm confident it wasn't packaging related.

I didn't take pics but I can recreate it if needed. I do have a bunch of pics of the dash... interesting to see if he tries to swap for the claim. I've had that happen with a 911 guy.

He said it was dropped and a crack was created on the bottom, also bent to distortion. The dash was too fresh to crack.

A really big 8.5 lb box.... probably used to keep two heavy boxes from colliding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Thanks for the help guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 13 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #5

Jackstands are my life.

So does UPS send the check to the shipper or the shippee? I did the online claim but it did ask if I was shipper or shippee.
This guy is STILL asking about the amount of insurance like he's expecting to profit from this. Besides that, he's been good about the whole thing.

I did get pics today. Minor damage, it does look like it was squished or dropped from a HIGH place.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 13 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #6

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 11 2004, 09:52 AM)

UPS SUCKS

They broke my shit, and I lost $5k and they told me to fuck myself, just like Otto did.

Sometimes, I ship open urine containers by UPS. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Sep 14 2004, 05:52 AM
Post #7

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

The shipper files the claim. The shipper gets paid.

IF UPS decides to pay, you should have the buyer return the damaged item to you and you should refund him what he paid (plus the return shipping charges if you're feeling generous). Nothing more. That way, you are made whole and he has not lost anything.

If you allowed him to keep the part AND paid him the inflated insurance claim, then he is unduly benefiting from the experience.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 14 2004, 06:40 AM
Post #8

how much does mr. perez figure this part is worth? you should pay for the return shipping. via fedex, insure it large. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

kevin
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 14 2004, 06:41 AM
Post #9

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Sep 14 2004, 04:52 AM)
The shipper files the claim. The shipper gets paid.

IF UPS decides to pay, you should have the buyer return the damaged item to you and you should refund him what he paid (plus the return shipping charges if you're feeling generous). Nothing more. That way, you are made whole and he has not lost anything.

If you allowed him to keep the part AND paid him the inflated insurance claim, then he is unduly benefiting from the experience.

AMEN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

As in all things, it is the people and how they handle merchandize in the terminals. Sometimes I think UPS hires gorillas to bash every piece of freight they handle. If you mark it "fragile", they just throw it twice as far as a normal package.
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Sep 14 2004, 09:16 AM
Post #10

non-914-owner non-club member

Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 14 2004, 04:41 AM)
.................. If you mark it "fragile", they just throw it twice as far as a normal package.

Actually, a UPS driver told me that normal packages get thrown into the truck overhand and packages marked "fragile" get thrown in underhand.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Sep 14 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #11

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

UPS has automatic 100 coverage....didn't think FEDEX had automatic anything.

UPS is fast on settleing the 100 claims but will bend you over on anything else. Took me six months to get a claim resolved on some wheels I shipped and they totally fucked up....

FEDEX is a little easier on the boxes...but not much. They BOTH hire monkeys.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 14 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #12

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) When 3 of my 4 wheels arrived they told me to pound sand when I called (UPS). They said that they would only deal with the shipper and that I had to get my money from him. Then they said when can we pick up the package to return it (on thier dime at least). I told them I didn't want to ship it back till I got my money, but I had to give in. It was not as bad as it could have been because I was dealing with Bob O from this board and he is on the level.

Everybody in the UPS hizous dance now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 14 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #13

Jackstands are my life.

Well, got an email back from UPS stating a claim was filed Friday (date of arrival) by Mr Lopez. He neglected to tell me that in the original email that he sent 10 min later.

This part is good.... I blantantly ask why the $300 in insurance was so important to him and his reponse was that that was the cost to recover his dash locally. So his repair/replace cost for my $235 dash is $300. I don't know how he thinks this is supposed to work out for him but it's pissing me off. I'm starting to think he bent it on purpose and expects to pocket a profit.

UPS is attempting to pick up the dash and inspect it at their building.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 14 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #14

ha ha. keep the money until the dust settles.

kevin
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Sep 14 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #15

non-914-owner non-club member

Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 14 2004, 02:06 PM)
Well, got an email back from UPS stating a claim was filed Friday (date of arrival) by Mr Lopez. He neglected to tell me that in the original email that he sent 10 min later.

This part is good.... I blantantly ask why the $300 in insurance was so important to him and his reponse was that that was the cost to recover his dash locally. So his repair/replace cost for my $235 dash is $300. I don't know how he thinks this is supposed to work out for him but it's pissing me off. I'm starting to think he bent it on purpose and expects to pocket a profit.

UPS is attempting to pick up the dash and inspect it at their building.

He might as well have admitted to a scam from what he has said already. I bet if you acted like you have done something like this before and wouldn't "judge" him and would play along with him, that he would admit to it.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 13 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #16

Jackstands are my life.

Just an update...

UPS tried 3 times to get the dash/box from him with no success. Was told I would need to refile for pickup to continue the claim.
He hasn't contacted me since then so I left it alone. Gave the payment to the friend I sold the dash for and moved on.

If I don't get a negative feedback from him I'll delete this from record - no harm done, just smelling fishy.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 13 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 14 2004, 03:06 PM)
So his repair/replace cost for my $235 dash is $300.

If I read this right he would only make $65. If so it would hardly seem worth the effort for $65. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

-Jeff
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Oct 14 2004, 03:15 AM
Post #18

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

What can brown do for you?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Oct 14 2004, 09:33 AM
Post #19

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 14 2004, 11:18 AM)
UPS is fast on settleing the 100 claims but will bend you over on anything else. Took me six months to get a claim resolved on some wheels I shipped and they totally fucked up....

Yep. UPS screwed up those wheels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I refused to give them the wheels, knowing they'd screw them up more. They could come take all the pictures they wanted. Mike provided me all the pre-shipping pictures.

With UPS, ya gotta bitch long and hard... and when it comes down to it, it's their insurance company that pays, not UPS themselves. Eventually, after many calls and more than a hundred emails between me, Zois and the UPS lady, we got the claim passed to their insurance folks.

Anyways... smells fishy... but if I bought a real Rolex on eBay for cheap, I'd probably want it insured for actual value. After all, it's the replacement value of the item, not the auction purchase price.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:26 PM