Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Danica Patrick!, Takes Daytona 500 Pole
914werke
post Feb 27 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #41

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Feb 27 2012, 07:41 AM) *
EDIT Watch Superbike and MotoGP if you want to see real racing – tremendous power to weight, zero downforce, skinny tires and real differences between manufacturers and riders!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I couldnt AGREE more!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Feb 27 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

Danica is not a Current Indy Driver

That's why I said "isn't/wasn't" the point being the Simona is a better driver who gets less attention than she deserves.

I disagree on weight in Karting - it makes a Big difference

Agreed - It makes a big difference among drivers with similar capabilities.

I'm saying the local track hot shoe with 1000's of laps is still going to kick your ass even if you add the weight because he/she has the laps and talent in those karts, on that track.

I can go to the local "fun center" and kick everyones ass - kids, dads, everyone.
When I go to F1 Boston (about once every 5 years), I can kick everyones ass who showed up off the street to race. I cannot beat the guys who work there or who are the drivers who rule the track series and have serious seat time.

Weight doesn't help, but it has zero to do with not being able to beat them.

If weight is your only excuse for losing you are not as good as you think you are.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 27 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #43

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Feb 27 2012, 10:40 AM) *

If weight is your only excuse for losing you are not as good as you think you are.

I think it will depend on how much you are losing by and what the weight difference is.
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Feb 27 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #44

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 27 2012, 02:21 PM) *

I think it will depend on how much you are losing by and what the weight difference is.

When you are 6'5" and weigh 280+ it does make a difference. It is hard to kart race against people who may be 150-200 lbs less than you. Particularly on tight tracks that don't allow you to keep up momentum.

Richard
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 27 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Feb 27 2012, 11:41 AM) *

When you are 6'5" and weigh 280+ it does make a difference. It is hard to kart race against people who may be 150-200 lbs less than you. Particularly on tight tracks that don't allow you to keep up momentum.

Richard

With me at 180 and some of the people I race with at 140 there is a big advantage there as well. 10lbs is a big advantage in a low HP kart.

However, in Danica's situation the weight isn't as big of a factor now as she is playing with MUCH more HP. It still is a factor though.

Someone earlier was comparing Danica with Jr. The ONLY issue I have with that is Jr at least has won a few races recently and has 18 in the CUP series. We will see how many races Danica even finishes this year.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Feb 27 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 27 2012, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Feb 27 2012, 11:41 AM) *

Richard

With me at 180 and some of the people I race with at 140 there is a big advantage there as well. 10lbs is a big advantage in a low HP kart.

However, in Danica's situation the weight isn't as big of a factor now as she is playing with MUCH more HP. It still is a factor though.

Someone earlier was comparing Danica with Jr. The ONLY issue I have with that is Jr at least has won a few races recently and has 18 in the CUP series. We will see how many races Danica even finishes this year.

If she gets more than one top ten she will be off to a better start then Jr. did his rookie year. Winning a few races recently is the same as Danica winning a few races a decade from now - so what?

The real point was they are both mediocre drivers that fate has pushed to the forefront for reasons outside of the cockpit.

Back to the karting - yes 280 is a problem, but you are the exception.

I completely agree that karting is about momentum, that is my entire point about it.
Yes 10 lbs. make a difference, but even at 180 to 140 I'm sure you have beat lighter drivers, even some decent ones - no? if not, I'll say it again you're just not as good as you think you are.

My brother maybe weights 15-20 lbs more than I do, but he has more kart seat time and does a better job carrying speed - hence he usually beats me.

My son is 40 lbs. lighter, doesn't have the driving experience, can't carry speed and can't beat me.
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 27 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

Kart racers are aware that all classes have a minimum weight requirement. Competitive racers will chose a class where their wieght is not a penalty. 5'2"/100lbs could race in the heaviest class by adding balast, so no advantage would be realized.

Andys
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 27 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(andys @ Feb 27 2012, 12:30 PM) *

Kart racers are aware that all classes have a minimum weight requirement. Competitive racers will chose a class where their wieght is not a penalty. 5'2"/100lbs could race in the heaviest class by adding balast, so no advantage would be realized.

Andys

I think most of us are simply talking about going to your local track for fun days.

Yes, for competition they do have classes, but even those have a 20-30lb swing.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 17 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #49

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

if ANY of the racers on this forum were capable of competing in NASCAR (even the old winston west series) they'd be doing it. big dif between 60 to 80 seconds on an AX course at what, 60mph tops and all alone, and getting a gentle nudge at 190+ or 3 wide flat out on the high banks. as for her size...jeff gordon, kasey kahne, and others aren't exactly giants.

the indy guys who consistantly wad up their cars and never finish in the top 10 let alone the top 20.

look at all the regular back runners who are NEVER in the hunt. derick cope (tacoma local) for example. the woman can drive and is a hell of alot easier on the eyes than janet guthrie.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 17 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #50

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

You make the Assumption that there are no Real Racers on this Forum. And you would be Dead Wrong! Vic Elford comes to mind and even at his age, he would put Whiney Patrick in the Weeds

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 17 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #51

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

HMmmm

July 17- Feb 27 = one long ass nap for Rhodyguy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jul 17 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #52

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2012, 08:22 AM) *

look at all the regular back runners who are NEVER in the hunt. derick cope (tacoma local) for example. the woman can drive and is a hell of alot easier on the eyes than janet guthrie.

Derrike Cope is the guy's name. But he does have two nieces that are attractive and getting attention, just like Danica.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 17 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #53

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Janet Guthrie could drive better than DP

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 17 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #54

i have no idea how this was on the front page scott. i just replied. i did not pull this up from the archives.

thanks for clearing up derrike's correct spelling and the fact that the "woman" was patrick. oh, i mean danika not swayze. sharp eye dave. while we're in grammar mode, most sentences don't start with "but".

i assumed nothing tc nor did i use the word "REAL" in the post. get out your reading glasses or presume less. i didn't know vic was a member of 914world. he sure doesn't post much. exactly how many 'known' pro racers regularly post on the site? nascar, indy, etc...name 2. while you're at it, name me 2 full time professionally employed racers who hang here.

cope's twin nieces (ashley and amber?) were recently in a photo shoot in one of the non-nude men's mags (FM i think). with the first win one of them achieved she bought sets of bolts ons for her and her sister. my neighbor crewed for them before they made the move back east.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 17 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #55

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I was pretty good at kart racing when I was a teen (MANY years ago) ... tried it again briefly in my late 30's and found I still had some skill left in me.

I have no idea how I'd do in a real car in a real track environment, probably not that great. I think it takes some pretty big balls (or tits as it goes) to get out on a track with professional drivers.

I'd like to try it though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Charmin TP might sponsor me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 17 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #56

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.

Member No.: 222

I just googled the Cope twins. Those are two crackhead lookin' girls. They should sue the store they bought those tits from.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 17 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #57

way too big and obviously fake. prob obscure their navel rings when unfettered.

k
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 17 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #58

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2012, 11:26 AM) *

way too big and obviously fake. prob obscure their navel rings when unfettered.

k

Wish they were big enough to obscure thier faces....
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 17 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #59

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) . good one paul. NOT sandbox worthy for sure.
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Jul 17 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 5,418

I used to race in a lower class at the same track the cope twins were at. They are actually really pretty, but they have definitely gone down hill as they have gotten more and more fake looking...

They are also both pretty good drivers, but I'm not sure they are good enough to be running the nationwide series. It just makes it worse that they can't afford very good equipment so they're always at the tail end of the field when they do make a race.
+Quote Post

17 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 09:09 AM