Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> v8 question, which 4 barrel carb
rey
post Sep 15 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,285

Hi All, I have a v8 question.

which 4 barrel carb, Carter afb, Edelbrock performer, rodchester Quadrajet, out of the three which one do you run and why?

My application is for a 283 v8 with mild cam low compression heads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Sep 15 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #2

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

John set this rascal up with a Holley 600 cfm double pumper on an Edlebrock Peformer intake, and it seems like the right choice here. Manners for city driving, and a rocket if I want to get on it.
+Quote Post
jPs
post Sep 15 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,554

I don't know about in the teener but I had a Road Demon carb attached to a 350 eldebrock performer intake/cam and liked the hell outta it. So I guess I'm suggesting you might want to look at there carbs too.

Just my two dull cents worth.
+Quote Post
rey
post Sep 15 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #4

Thanks aircooledboy,

sooooo how do you like your v8? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
propricer
post Sep 15 2004, 11:10 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,938

Regardless of type, a 500cfm is more than enough.
If you question that, calculate the size necessary using the standard equations available on-line.
For what it's worth, I run an Edelbrock 500 cfm on my 327 / 300HP ...
Good luck ...
+Quote Post
rey
post Sep 15 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Thanks Ed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Sep 15 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #7

can't 'member

Member No.: 161

I run a 650 Holley with vacuum secondaries and center hung floats on my 914 with a 305, mid range cam and Edelbrock performer RPM. I didn't consider the others because I use mine for autocrossing and run slicks. I don't know if you can even set up those others to withstand hard cornering. As well as the Holley works I didn't even consider any other carb.

My $.02

Mike T
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Sep 15 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 178

Aren't the edelbrock carbs the exact same thing as a carter AFB, except polished and maybe jetted a little differently to match their intake manifolds and heads?

On mine I used a quadra-crap, I mean quadrajet because they are cheap to buy used and work well. Most guys lean towards holley because they are easier to jet, I learned on a quadrajet so jetting changes aren't that big of a deal to me. Most folks start looking at metering jets and needles and run away screaming.
IMO that is why they got such a bad rap, because they are complicated to jet compared to a holley which has three circuits, idle, main, and flat spot.

I autocrossed mine and never had a problem with G-forces at all.
I used an 800 cfm spread bore, small primaries for normal driving and huge secondaries for that bbbbbuuuwwwwww noise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
I ran a 350, so I could use all that. Quadrajets are available smaller, I'd use a 600 minimum on a 283 if I were u.
On a 327 with 2.02 heads and an agressive cam I would go with a 750 vacuum secondary, I know that works great from personsal experience. Anything much smaller is throwing away HP unless the motor is built very mildly.

Take a stock 327 out of a corvette and dyno it with a 500 and then with a 650 or 750, I guaranty you wil lget an increase in hp with the larger carbs and if jetted correctly, no problems.

Also, flow numbers for 4 bbl carbs are usually at 1" of HG at full flow, do you really want to throw away that much HP? In other words, if the carb is rated at 600 cfm, it flows 600 cfm with 1" hg restriction.
At no restriction it would flow much less, prolly around 450 to 500.
That 1"hg of vacuum is a big deal at full throttle, kind of like putting a wood block under your gas pedal.

A little bit of restriction is necessary for fuel metering but the bernouli (sp?) effect in the venturi should do most of that.

No, I'm not suggesting going way too big, but at WOT and high rpm I don't want to have 1" HG in my intake manifold. People spend lots 'o money on free breathing air cleaners and filters, why not match the carb so you can get down to 1" H2O vacuum?

So...........if it were me I'd go with a new edlebrock (carter afb jetted for a chebby instead of a chrysler) or a used quadrajet, leave the holley for...... naw i aint gonna
say it, wouldn't be politically correct. (no offense). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Sep 15 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

I bought mine with the Quadracrap.....the floats jammed and gas bolied up and over. Bought the Edelbrock carb to sit on the Edelbrock Performer manifold....night and day difference....
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Sep 15 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #10

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rey @ Sep 15 2004, 10:55 AM)
Thanks aircooledboy,

sooooo how do you like your v8? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

See my signature line and Avatar caption.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 15 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I started and ran the car with the Q jet... Doesnt like to idle after a change in throttle.. (ya.. It needs to be jetted)

Sooo We put the 650 Holley on it... Well we thought that it could have been rebuilt.. well... It leaked gas.. Soooo we turned off the fuel pump and checked to see if it would run.. erm..

Backfired.. about 4 feet in the air... then it stayed on fire, then I told him to crank it, and it backfired again and stayed on fire again... So I blew it out (not much I could have done.. lol.

Twas interesting...

Sooo He's rebuilding it...
+Quote Post
rey
post Sep 15 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #12

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Keep up the good work, Andyrew .

What Fule pump do you have? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Sep 15 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,348

QUOTE(rey @ Sep 15 2004, 09:48 AM)
Hi All, I have a v8 question.

which 4 barrel carb, Carter afb, Edelbrock performer, rodchester Quadrajet, out of the three which one do you run and why?

My application is for a 283 v8 with mild cam low compression heads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Just my experience with chevy v8s...

Get yourself a 600 Holley vaccum secondary. A double pumper will be overkill unless your cam is big. Maybe you could list your cam specs and comp ratio? Even so, you are in a LIGHT car (dont really need the extra squirters to get moving). You will have better throttle response with the vaccum secondary carb also. I say get the Holley just because..
a) they are dirt cheap and parts are EVERYWHERE
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) a 6 year old kid can rebuild one in about an hour
c) parts are DIRT CHEAP AND PLENTIFUL
d) a-c

The other carbs you mentioned can be really good carbs. But for simplicity, and reliability and to be able to tune the damn thing, the Holley wins hands down IMO.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:57 AM