Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possibly got robbed, update 3/13/12 IT IS FINISHED !!!
jsayre914
post Mar 5 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Speed Up !!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I didnt want to screw up my build thread with my anger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Building a 2056. Took the engine case, crank, rods, flywheel, cylinders to the local machinest. 2 months later I finally get everything back and pay the man what was agreed. The work that was performed:

jugs were bored out to 96mm
case was cleaned and check for straightness and bearings pressed in
flywheel was cleaned polished
crank was polished etc. with rods rebuilt with new bushings (custom) made by machinest and assembled with new bearings supplied by myself.

again... crank was fully lubbed and assembled ready to go in.

finally everything was balanced and returned to me.

FAST FOREWARD

I drop off the engine components to Tony @ Translog GT and ask him to assemble the longblock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) I didnt want to Fudge anything up. And I have great repect for Tony and his buss.

Tony calls me today and tells me that the crank was absolutly unusable. He tells me that one or more bolts on the flywheel end were sheerd off and the end was all buggerd up. He cant believe that someone would perform the work that has already been done to this crank. He mentiond a pin also, I really dont know exactly what he is talking about until I see it first hand. He said he will try to shoot me a few pics today, either way I will be picking up my crank and calling the machine shop.

I am angry, but still not sure if I am at fault here. I took the engine apart myself, and dropped the components off myself. I told the machine shop to do the work, and I am not expierenced at engine building. This is my first build !

I just threw away hundreds of dollars and 2 months of my build

WHAT do you guys have to say>>>>>>>>>>

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

p.s. I am calling the machine shop now.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Mar 5 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #2

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 5 2012, 01:07 PM) *

I didnt want to screw up my build thread with my anger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Building a 2056. Took the engine case, crank, rods, flywheel, cylinders to the local machinest. 2 months later I finally get everything back and pay the man what was agreed. The work that was performed:

jugs were bored out to 96mm
case was cleaned and check for straightness and bearings pressed in
flywheel was cleaned polished
crank was polished etc. with rods rebuilt with new bushings (custom) made by machinest and assembled with new bearings supplied by myself.

again... crank was fully lubbed and assembled ready to go in.

finally everything was balanced and returned to me.

FAST FOREWARD

I drop off the engine components to Tony @ Translog GT and ask him to assemble the longblock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) I didnt want to Fudge anything up. And I have great repect for Tony and his buss.

Tony calls me today and tells me that the crank was absolutly unusable. He tells me that one or more bolts on the flywheel end were sheerd off and the end was all buggerd up. He cant believe that someone would perform the work that has already been done to this crank. He mentiond a pin also, I really dont know exactly what he is talking about until I see it first hand. He said he will try to shoot me a few pics today, either way I will be picking up my crank and calling the machine shop.

I am angry, but still not sure if I am at fault here. I took the engine apart myself, and dropped the components off myself. I told the machine shop to do the work, and I am not expierenced at engine building. This is my first build !

I just threw away hundreds of dollars and 2 months of my build

WHAT do you guys have to say>>>>>>>>>>

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

p.s. I am calling the machine shop now.

I say if you need a crank let me know and I will hook you up.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 5 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #3

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Sounds like a bad deal. I hope the machine shop will step up to the plate.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 5 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Ummm....bearings don't "press" in, you have to press a little bit with your thumbs on the center main and the number 2 you need to heat the gears to slip them on.

The custom rod bushings, did you modify for 22mm pins? 24mm pin (stock) bushings are available...

The crank should have never passed visual inspection if your guy is right.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 5 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 5 2012, 02:07 PM) *

...He tells me that one or more bolts on the flywheel end were sheerd off and the end was all buggerd up. He cant believe that someone would perform the work that has already been done to this crank. He mentiond a pin also, I really dont know exactly what he is talking about until I see it first hand. ....

When you took the engine apart did you notice anything odd about the flywheel bolts?
That almost sounds like the bolts were in (no flywheel) and the crank was dropped.
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Mar 5 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #6

Speed Up !!!

still have not seen it, i will be picking it up tommorow. I did however give Tony the phone number of the machine shop. Tony didnt get a chance to call me back before he left today but.... the machinest just called me 1 min ago.

"Joe I talked to Tony and he explained to me that it looked like the flywheel had come off at some point or another. The pin was sheered off and needs to be drilled out. The surface also needs to be machined down and you will need to make up the difference with some shims. I just assumed it came off of a running motor cause thats what you said, so I never checked the other end there. If you bring it to me tommorow i will have to put it all apart again and do the work for you. I want to make it right, and Tony said that would be satisfactory."

I guess this is the best way to proceed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) He is willing to make it right. I will need to talk to Tony first to get his opinion. And YES you guys will get pictures

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Mar 5 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #7

Speed Up !!!

oh yeah...
Thank you Hoteshoe and Vacca Rabite

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 5 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,428

Bummer you had to deal with the extra hassle...but it looks like the guy is standing behind his work. Looks like things will work out and you will be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) soon!
+Quote Post
Smitty911
post Mar 5 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,830
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 5 2012, 04:05 PM) *

oh yeah...
Thank you Hoteshoe and Vacca Rabite

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Wow, you got lucky. I had purchased two (2) Ford 360FI for my F-250. The machine shop - Superior Automotive. Figured there would be enough good parts to make one tight motor.

This clown doctor (featured in Hot Rod magizine), machined the block, align honed, decked etc. etc. etc. a cracked block (unrepairable), gave me back rebuilt connecting rods (still not trued), Remanufactured the Both heads, for $1,100 with all the used parts (PAW had a pair with all new parts for $750), etc. etc. etc.

Than when I said something about it, said I was attempting to scam him out of parts and money.

Glad he is making it right.

Smitty
+Quote Post
jmill
post Mar 5 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Having Tony call the guy was a good choice. Engine builders go to machine shops. A bad word from Tony could cost this guy lots of business from other engine builders. On a side note, if you took him some buggered up stuff and told him what to do with it you esentially got what you paid for. The fact he didn't mention the other issues with your crank is questionable.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 5 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #11

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

A REAL machine shop would have chedcked EVERYTING themselves vs.relying on the customers word. The shop is resposible for the fix, and if they try and charge you any extra $$ they are b.s. in my book. A shop should NEVER go on the customers word alone. We are the "professionals" and you are not ( no offense intended ) You guys rely on us to find the issues, notify you of them and then correct them ( if approved ) this machine shop, IMHO, is neglegent in at least 2 of those situations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Mar 5 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #12

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

We are the "professionals" and you are not

Joe is a professional too, just in a different field. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 5 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #13

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 5 2012, 07:56 PM) *

A REAL machine shop would have chedcked EVERYTING themselves vs.relying on the customers word. The shop is resposible for the fix, and if they try and charge you any extra $$ they are b.s. in my book. A shop should NEVER go on the customers word alone. We are the "professionals" and you are not ( no offense intended ) You guys rely on us to find the issues, notify you of them and then correct them ( if approved ) this machine shop, IMHO, is neglegent in at least 2 of those situations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) completely
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 5 2012, 09:48 PM
Post #14

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

I agree with scotty b
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 5 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #15

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I'm bummed about this. This is a shop that I have used in the past with great effect, and let Joe know about him. He did the short block stuff for my 350 and is well known known in our area as a good machinist and a stand up guy.

I am glad he is goin to make it right, but feel bad for giving the reccomendation. Just let me know if you end up needing my other 2.0 crank. It's yours for the asking.

Zach
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Mar 6 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #16

Speed Up !!!

Just dropped the crank back to the machine shop

The pics I Promissed, here it is fresh from the machine shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
stugray
post Mar 6 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

Just so I understand:

"He tells me that one or more bolts on the flywheel end were sheerd off and the end was all buggerd up"

AND

"finally everything was balanced and returned to me."

So this guy works miracles if he ASSEMBLED that crank to flywheel and BALANCED IT FOR YOU without noticing the damage???

Give me a break!

Stu
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Mar 6 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #18

Speed Up !!!

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 6 2012, 01:45 PM) *

Just so I understand:

"He tells me that one or more bolts on the flywheel end were sheerd off and the end was all buggerd up"

AND

"finally everything was balanced and returned to me."

So this guy works miracles if he ASSEMBLED that crank to flywheel and BALANCED IT FOR YOU without noticing the damage???

Give me a break!

Stu

The engine builder told me it was F#$% up, i wasnt exactly sure how. Today I saw it first hand and now i understand, only the pin was sheered off, but the end of the crank looks like it fell off of a moving truck

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Mar 6 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #19

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah, it looks bad. Stevie Wonder can see that it's hosed up. The benefit of doubt I extended for the machine shop only goes so far.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 6 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #20

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Looks like medieval tools and procedures were used to carry out that work. I wouldn't let that shop work on a Briggs and Stratton for me!

We did a round of machine work a few weeks ago and had a real bitch of a time with the cores and parts that were supplied. I was trying to open up more of our services to those doing their own work but it proved to be a PITA because someone complained about the price even after he had agreed to it up front.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:32 PM