Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear brake line replacement, rubber line
tahoward
post May 5 2003, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 52

I have a leak in a rear brake line (the rubber one) and can't see an easy way to replace it. The end closest to the caliper was cake, but the upper end is another story. Any tips or don'ts would be much appreciated. Thanks all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post May 5 2003, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Make sure you use regular line wrenches so you don't damage the hard line. Also, you can soak the joints in penetrating fluid for a couple of days first. Be careful about getting penetrating fluid on your rotors or pads.

Make sure you have plenty of brake fluid before you start, and don't let the resevoir run dry. If the lines on the front are the same age, you may as well replace them all.

A suggestion: Get a set of Speedbleeder screws for your calipers. They will make the task of bleeding your brakes much easier.

Even if you jack the rear end way up, odds are you're going to get some air in the proportioning valve (at the rear firewall). Be patient, it may take several bleeding sessions to get all the air out. Some people find tapping the valve while bleeding can help free up trapped air bubbles.

Hope this helps,
Rusty
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 5 2003, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It helps to be a contortionist. Or to have the engine out.

Barring these, get a small pair of vice grips for the clips, and large vocabulary, and LOTS of patience.
+Quote Post
tahoward
post May 5 2003, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 52

Thanks for the tips. It seems every job on a teener requires patience and an active vocabulary! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post May 5 2003, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Yeah, I forgot about the clips. Vice-grips will yank them out nicely.

Actually, the task isn't terribly difficult... but most of us around here are incredibly anal about stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Getting bubbles trapped in the proportioning valve can be a PITA, though.

When I did my lines, I bled and bled the brakes. They were okay, but not great. I drove the car around a few days, and then rebled them - that helped.

Air bubbles are funny things.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:55 PM