Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forced Air? TURBO?
Qarl
post Sep 18 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #21

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

P.S. I would like to know where you are getting a rebuilt engine for only $1500. I spent over $7000 rebuilding my 944 turbo engine and know a Porsche 6 costs more to do. I can't even buy a core engine for $1500.

I was reffering to a 2.0L four, not a six. Importmotors.com offers three different engines. A 2000cc for $1235, a 2165cc longblock for $1799, and a 2165cc Performance for $1875. They give $150 for a core 1.7 or 1.8, $300 for a 2.0. It seems they use a 2.0 case only for their "performance" engine. Anybody familiar with their products? Just go to ebay and search for 914 engine, then sort the list by highest price first.

Remanufactured can simply mean just picking a bunch of used parts that are close to within spec, new piston rings, gaskets, and slap it together.

Are they VW heads or true 914 heads? Cylinder head work done right will put you back $1K to $1.5K alone!

How long is it going to last?

How much horsepower will it make?

You get what you pay for...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Sep 18 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #22

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288
Region Association: None

It didn't cost me $1.5K to have my 911 heads done, and they put in new guides and seats, valve, springs and ported the heads for air flow for a 2.7.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Sep 18 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 178

Are those type 1 engines or type 4? My guess is type 1, or maybe a type 4 bus engine.
Any type 4 for $1500 is prolly going to be junk. New parts to rebuild one correctly are going to cost more than $1500.
If they are just replacing some bearings and rings and gaskets you are not getting a remanufactuered engine, you are getting a used worn out engine with a few new parts.

BTW turbochargers are not free horsepower. The backpressure required to spin em up costs power and increases heat in the heads but the turbo more than makes up for it, just like a supercharger but to a slightly less extent due to increased efficiency.

Nitrous is temporary, turbos are permanent.
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 18 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #24

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,149

I don't see why it would be so difficult to turbo a 914 motor. You don't have to go huge turbo setup...you can get a k03 (off of a vw/audi 1.8t engine) with low miles for around $200. A lot of people with 1.8t's have upgraded their turbos like myself.

These turbos spike to about 17-18 psi at about 2200RPM and can hold ~1BAR (14.7 psi) upto 6K RPM. On the 1.8t these turbos commonly put down 250ft/lbs @wheels and about 180whp.

You can use a manual boost controller in combination with the internal wastegate to control the boost ~$40.

If you're handy with a welder you could make the piping and use the 1.8t intercooler ($20~$30).

The only thing that is difficult to do is work the fueling. Probobly the best way do to it is to add extra injectors and use a fuel controller.....this should be not too expensive either --around $4-500?

Anyone know how much horsepower the stock 914 motor can take before it blows?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:57 PM