Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This car worth 6k?, Ebay link
davidcalvin
post Sep 19 2004, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,662

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2489744200&rd=1

It looks nice. Drives well. And is well documented. Claim is that its original miles, 58k. No rebuild on the engine or tranny I believe.

Its all original. even has the original radio (blaupunkt)

What say yall?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Sep 19 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I think that is one of the member's cars here. Think he was moving to Spain if it's the same person. Looks like a nice car. Maybe take it somewhere for a PPI to check everything if you can. Seems like a good price.
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Sep 19 2004, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Actually.. no. The story on this one is that it was owned by a dentist in burlingame. The man died a few years ago and his son recently sold the car to the person who is selling it now on ebay.

It all seems nice. I just worry that the engine hasnt been rebuilt. But if the miles are original then maybe its good for another 30k ish.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Sep 19 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I purchased my car with 42K on it. It has 60K on it now. Engine runs real strong. If you have a proper inspection done, doing a compression and leak down, that should give you a good idea on where the motor is at. Probally not having a rebuild is a good thing with that kind of milage. You need to go over the car with a fine tooth comb. Check, the obvious, fit and finish, rust ect. But also, inspect bushings, brakes, shocks, springs, exhaust, test mps if you can. And, all electrical functions. All these items can effect the overall value. Which in turn, make it a good deal, or car you will have to sink alot of time and money into. PM me your number if you need any tips on inspecting the body. Can't offer much help on the mechanical side of things. But, plenty of other friendly folks here can.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 19 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #5

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

It all seems nice. I just worry that the engine hasnt been rebuilt. But if the miles are original then maybe its good for another 30k ish.

Overall condition is much more important than worrying how many miles you'll get out of an engine. And just for comparison sakes I've got 160K on my original engine and it doesn't smoke, leak, and still has good compression.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 19 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Car looks good and my be well be worth $6000 but I'm guessing that it is 158K, signed statements or not.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Sep 19 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

If the correct milage is deciding factor for you, you might be able to determine that depending upon when and where the car was serviced. Might even be able to contact the shop who worked on it. No garruntee of course. Look at the pedals, steering wheel and drivers seat. They should be alittle more worn on a car with 150 as opposed to a car with 50. Check the carpet wear as well. Certianly looks nice in the photos. But that can be decieving. Good luck!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 19 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Looks good. Go for it!
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Sep 19 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #9

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you are worried about the motor, take it to a mechanic of your choice and have a compression and bleed down test preformed. That will tell you tons about the motor. Everything else looks good on the car. If the motor is good, the value is there.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Sep 20 2004, 01:49 AM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

well someone thought it was worth 6k........sold
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Sep 20 2004, 07:33 AM
Post #11

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I know this car is sold, but just one of the things I check when looking at "low Mileage" older cars is the wear on the pedals you can see the difference in wear patterns between new (0 miles) - old (150k mles). There are many other factors but it takes a lot of use to wear down the rubber on the pedals.
+Quote Post
meursault
post Sep 21 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #12

Idjit Savant

Member No.: 355

I know this car is sold, but just one of the things I check when looking at "low Mileage" older cars is the wear on the pedals you can see the difference in wear patterns between new (0 miles) - old (150k mles). There are many other factors but it takes a lot of use to wear down the rubber on the pedals.

But considering that those rubber pedal pads cost somewhere in the $5 range, I wouldn't depend on that indication too much. Also it's something you could quickly change out if you had a parts car with better looking pads.
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Sep 21 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #13

Well.. it was me. I bought it. Been driving it all day and it is really awesome. It shifts so tight and it hauls a$$. I love it. Everything works on it. Its so cool.

The down side is.. after it gets warm, some smoke starts coming out of the engine compartment. Smells like oil burning or maybe belt rubber or something... sigh. I guess nothing go be perfect... So. I'll be taking to in and having "them" check it out.

Still, its a sweet car. I just hope the engine is cool.

Thanks all for your feedback.

David
+Quote Post
tod914
post Sep 21 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Maybe its just oil on the heat exchangers/engine. Clean all that off before you take it to a shop so they can see where any leaks are comming from. Congrads! Looks like a sweet ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Sep 21 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #15

That makes sense, I guess. I dont see the smoke until the engine is hot (After awhile driving). But the temp guage is within normal limits.

Thanks for all the help. This board is totally cool. If it hadn't been here I probably wouldnt have bought the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

David
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Sep 21 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #16

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

Welcome to the club David! Its nice to have another "big bumper " car in the group. You ought to bring it to the 9;14 Breakfast (see Jeff's thread below) this Saturday so we can all see it and we compare notes with my low mileage '76er.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Sep 21 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #17

Thanks for the welcome..

I'll try to make it there. It'll be cool to see a whole bunch of 914s in one place. Kinda like driving down the street at HPH :-).

I am not convinced the mileage on mine is original. I'd welcome the opinions of the breakfast-attending experts.

David
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 21 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

David,

I went over that car pretty well. I personally believe the mileage is correct. Lots and lots of little things we look for that clues us in to actual mileage. I see a LOT of cars come and go through the shop... lots of little differences between 50k and 150k. The person you bought the car from is a up and up guy. He brings all his Porsche related work to us.

B
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Sep 21 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #19

Thanks Brad,

I love the car so far. I should have had it inspected though, but I felt comfy since HPH did the service for it.

Its smoking out of the engine compartment. Smells like burning oil. Need to bring it in to get it checked out.

David
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 21 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Ask him for the service invoices. We ALWAYS notate what the car needs on the repair orders.

Some of the MAJOR issues with buying a low mileage car:

all the fuel lines are normally rotted
all the brake lines need to be done
all the rubber hoses associated with the engine will be dry rotted
all the rubber seals will be dry

The VERY worst thing you can do to any car is let it sit.

I'm betting the burning oil is something easy. He called us today and told us you traded or bought the car from him.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:32 AM