Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '71 turn signal switch - newer ok?
capn914
post Sep 19 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,779

Hi Club,

Just bought a '71 1.7, with lotsa lotsa problems. Turn signals today:

TS stalk just dangles, obviously need new one. Nobody seems to have them, but '72-up available. Possible? What about rebuild? Any advice helpful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
markb
post Sep 19 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #2

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

IIRC, 70 & 71 are different from later years. I hear there's not enough room to use the later ones. Too many wires or something. 71's will also need to have the wires spliced for replacement since there's no connectors. You can change out the steering column fairly easily if you really want to put the later ones on. Personally, I'm taking the later one out of the 71 I'm working on, so I can put a stock 71 one back in. Call me strange, but I like to keep the early ones as stock as I can. There's a used switch in a box at Cap'n Krusty's if you're looking for one. Email or PM him.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Sep 20 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #3

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If the 71's don't have a connector at all, this won't help much, but I recently put the switch from a 75 into my early '72. The new connector has the same configuration, but room for 2 or 3 more wires at one end. The new switch I used had the same number of wires as the old one (the extra spaces were empty). IIRC the problem comes from the fact that space allowed for the connector inside the older column is too small for the newer and bigger connector. Sooooo, I was able to take the switch side of the connector plugs apart (3 or 4 tiny slide clips on the outside, you'll know em when you see em) and carefully move the wires from the new switch into the old plug one at a time. Works like charm.

Again though,if the '71 ain't gots a connector at all, none of that will help at all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 20 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Dan Henderson is parting out a 70 witha good turn signal setup. Look in hte classifeds
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 20 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I did it recently. Have to tear apart a perfectly brand new late model connector block and splice into the exsisting wires. all wires are the same color code just a pain. Good thing I learned how to solder in the Navy. Make sure the connectors are well insulated with good heat shrink. NOT ELECTRICAL TAPE.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:51 AM