Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping items overseas??
Mueller
post Jan 16 2003, 06:00 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Not scared away from JP's "challanging" bearing install (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Jeroen of the Netherlands has bravely stepped up to the plate to be possibly the very first person to run the trick needle bearing kit on the other side of the world.....so, what is my best mode of shipment that will be cost effective and actually get there before the end of the year??

Also being shipped at the same time will be some other 914 body parts...total weight should be in the 30 pound range with a box ~30x20x20???

Oh, how about payment? Does Paypal work in other countries?

Thanks

Mike Mueller
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 16 2003, 06:59 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hey Mike,

Regular mail works just fine. Ship it as slow as possible, that's the cheapest way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I don't have a PayPal account myself, but from the info on their website, I can use my creditcard to send money to your PayPal account, so that shouldn't be any problem either

I'll e-mail you for further details...

Cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jan 16 2003, 07:12 PM
Post #3

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

I've done a little overseas shipping in my day and always used USPS. Some countries will try to charge a tax for merchandise shipped from outside their borders. To get around this tax I was often asked to mark the box as a gift. Not sure if the Neanderlands ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) behave this way or not.

Mike, is your setup particular to 914s or should you be hitting up the 911 crowd too? You know how those guys like to waste money!

Jon
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jan 16 2003, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

I sold a 914 a/c setup do a 914'er in Australia. I sent them USPS surface at the end of September. He just got the parts 2 weeks ago. Had to go in two boxes 38 & 31lbs, I think the cost was sometihng like $150.00. Was quoted $300.00 air mail, arrive in a few days. There are some US Customs forms that have to be filled out.

I got a cashiers check made out in US dollars, don't know about Paypal.

Mark
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 17 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

The shipper declares the value on the USPS customs form. So everything 914 related is worth $10 (at most). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Be aware that shipping the cheap way as Jeroen mentioned is literally by slow boat...it can take 6-8 weeks, maybe more in some cases. I have shipped to Western Europe and Asia a few times and it was not terribly expensive, but definitely SLOW. Fast = $$$ (just like our cars, LOL)

Also, even moreso than usual, package the heck out of it. Double-walled cardboard, foam popcorn, lots of good tape, etc.

Paypal supports international transactions just fine, as I recall.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Jan 17 2003, 01:12 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 137

Yes, ChrisC is right. Fast = $$$.

I just send one 7x15 Fuchs from Finland to California. It was about 10.6 kg. I sended it by airmail and the postage was about 70 euros. By airmail it shoud be there in 6-8 days. The surface mail would have been cheeper, about 40 euros, but it would have taken 6-8 weeks. And 1 euro is about $1.

I find that the fastes way would have been sending it as a some kind of special package. It would have been in California in 1 - 2 days, but the postage would have been 400 euros !!!

BTW, guess why Jeroen wants the needle bearings now and what happened to his bronze bushings ???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 17 2003, 06:44 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3

Hey Timo,

Mail me your address, so I can send you the bronze bushings

About shipping overseas. Regular mail works just fine. May take a little longer, but I usually get stuff in 3 to 4 weeks. It can also take 2 months, but this rarely happens.

When possible, shipping as a "gift" or as "samples" helps me dodgin taxes (which are about 20% on the declared value). Dunno if you can still insure it, if you send it like that though...

Cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Jan 17 2003, 07:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 137

Ya-Roon, check out your mail. Sorry it took so long, but I am quite a slow in writing and when I have to put something in english it take me double the time..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:57 AM