Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front brake cooling?
bob91403
post Sep 20 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,763

On all the racers and autocrossers I've seen they either fill in, cap, or tape over the front turn signals. I don't know if this makes sense, or has been done before. But for racers and autocrossers, couldn't you remove the turn signal bucket, and use the remaining hole with some aluminum heater hose to cool the front brakes?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 20 2004, 03:47 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

maybe. this concept is seductive in its appeal - but the racers i've known who have tried it (and taped yarn tufts to the car to see the airflow at speed...) say the air doesn't move like you'd think it would.

many less-modified class rules prohibit openings in the coachwork that are not stock.

if you have ventilated disks, the best setup is to use a scoop on the A-Arm and duct air to the eye of the hub; AJ-USA (and others) have a kit for this very purpose that replaces the useless 'dust cover.' if you have solid disks, you need to make something that can direct air to both sides of the disk evenly -- don't try to cool just one side of the disk or you'll wind up with a big Belleville washer ...

actually - you must have A LOT of traction - big, sticky tires - and v-e-r-y soft brake pads to overheat brakes at an autocross. i've only really seen overheated brakes at an AX once, and it was a guy with a 928S4 whose technique consisted of holding the right pedal to the floor at all times and left-foot-braking in turns. it didn't work very well.

brake heat isn't a factor at AX - in fact, lots of guys are using soft racing pads that NEED heat to work.

on a big track it's a different story.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:58 PM