Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Answered a couple of my own questions, about Al/magnesium 901 compatability
bondo
post Sep 20 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I just did some side by side comparisons between a magnesum 901 transmission from a 914, and an aluminum one from a 912. (I think it's technically a 902, but I believe the case is the same as a 901) The differential cover will not interchange, as the magnesium one is bigger and has an O-ring, the AL one uses a gasket. The intermediate plate will not interchange becasue one of the alignment pins is in the wrong place, and the spacing between where the bearings are and the face that meets the case is different. Also, using the aluminum transmission in a 914 would require running it upside down because flipping the ring gear would require machining a hole right through the case (there just isn't enogh room on that side of the case)

So there you have it.. they are significantly different transmissions that happen to be able to use the same gears.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:33 PM