Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stumbled on something new, Dash lights
Joe Ricard
post Sep 20 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

So I was messing around with my teener (imagine that). With head lights on Tach lights and speedo doesn't.
But if I leave just parking lights on Speedo lights and tach lights.

Some circuit is askew. So who is the wizard for this one? 70 914 with 71 splice job done long ago by who knows.

Oh and the brights will not click to on. Only turn on as long as I old the lever back.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 20 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

First try cleaning the ground that is behind the fuse panel. Remove the screws that hold the fuse panel in place and you'll see the ground up above it.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Sep 20 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,724

Not a lot of trial and error here for me ( I need to get under the dash myself) but I understand that a poor, or non-existent, ground to a gauge can cause all sorts of dash light/gauge behavior. Check the grounds for the gauges. Apparently if a gauge is not mounted directly to body metal it will ground through another circuit.

-Jeff
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 21 2004, 05:47 AM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Actually you guys are close. It is ground related. I seem to be removing the ground with actuation of the switch. So it is a wiring snafu. Time to get out the magnifying glass and trace out those wires in the diagram. then crawl up under the dash or pull gauges out front and chase em down. Not this week becuse I got to keep car off the stands and ready to Autocross this weekend.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 7 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Found it, Not sure how to fix it though. So the best wiring diagram I have (for a 71 model car) shows a white wire W/green stripe on terminal 57 of the head lite switch going to the speedometer lighting circuit.

Well my 70 speedometer doesn't have a terminal for this wire. Hmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
So I go spelunking pull head light switch out and find white wire with green stripe is whee it should be. However it has in it's life time gotten hot and melted the insulation off. Probably a short somewhere. Couldn't find the other end as it was starting to drizzle and get dark.

Since this car seems to have a 71 wiring harness spliced in somehow this kinda shit drives me crazy.. How is the 70 speedo supposed to be lit. (illuminated).

Should figure this out soon as I would also like to light my gauges in the dash. CHT, Oil pressure, Oil Temp.

On a lighter note I got the cigarette lighter to work so I can now charge my cell phone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 7 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 7 2004, 06:37 PM)
Well my 70 speedometer doesn't have a terminal for this wire. Hmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

that's not a terminal, that's a bulb ...

that's the green low-beam indicator bulb ...
the bulb itself has 2 connectors, white/green for power, brown for ground.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 8 2004, 08:17 AM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Ahhh I bet if I fix that I may be one step closr to getting my high beams to work. They come on by puling the stalk to the rear. but do not get the relay to latch. Probably a bad relay too.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:57 PM