Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Latest Excellence received, 914 values increasing!
carreraguy
post Sep 21 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #1

It's not your dad's 914!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

Just got my Excellence. Of note the value of 914's are on the rise!

Everyone pat yourselves on the back; I think the WCC and all the other local events country-wide go a great way towards letting everyone know more about our under-appreciated babies. Also the Tech Forum is even answering a bunch of 914 questions!

Thanks Pete!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 21 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Had to happen sooner or later. We'll have to wait and see if they hold towards next year....

Jim over at EASY always said the 914 hasn't had its day yet. It's a convertible. It's got most of the 356's nostalgia. It offers pretty damn modern performance (in the curves). And it's simple and getting better looking with each passing year.

I think Jim's right -- the question is when will the 914's day be? And is it better as the underdog it is now? Appreciation goes up, prices (and the wine and cheesers) follow. Maybe Brad CAN make some money on 914s someday...and maybe 986s will become the cheapest mid-engined Porsche of them all? Now that's a scary thought.

pete
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Sep 21 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #3

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Got mine yesterday.

I haven't had the opportunity to analyze all of the numbers in depth yet. But, from a random sample, it appears that it just another formulaic approach at determining values. I've been tracking BA's pricing reports for years and it is clear to me that his values are determined as much by spreadsheet-manipulation as they are from real-world data.

The write-up was bullish on the 914 market though.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Sep 21 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #4

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 21 2004, 10:33 AM)
And is it better as the underdog it is now?

honestly, that's my humble opinion. i lament the day that these little narps are fully appreciated. i like things the way they are right now.

of course, i'm a poor grad student...
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 21 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

Formulaic as it may be, it has to be recognized that Mssr. Anderson's price guides influence the market, they don't just report on it. If he suddenly decides prices are going up, they will go up. This isn't to say that he's doing this deliberately, just that market analyst reports always have some influence on the market they're reporting on, and the more respected and well-known the analyst, the bigger the influence.

Personally, I'd prefer to not have the attention. I've sought out "unloved" cars for years because they offer good value. There are a number of excellent cars out there that cost very little because of silly market prejudices. However, I recognize that higher prices for the cars also increases the chance that parts will continue to be available. Two-edged sword, really.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 21 2004, 01:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Yes, but the bigger the influence, the bigger the responsibility.

Believe me, I am keeping an eye on this. Not an easy subject, tho' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 21 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

i lament the day that these little narps are fully appreciated. i like things the way they are right now.

Here here.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Sep 21 2004, 02:39 PM
Post #8

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256

I guess I kinda like the way things are too as I did not get a 914 for its appreciation value but for driving fun. However, it doesn't hurt if I can show my other half the article and somewhat rationalize/justify more "improvements" to Ol' Yeller!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 21 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 21 2004, 02:39 PM)
However, it doesn't hurt if I can show my other half the article and somewhat rationalize/justify more "improvements" to Ol' Yeller!

Amen Brother, I am already working a respray using this newfound data. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It is a little weird that these cars that were generally unaccepted for so long are now becoming popular. Sorta like when your favorite garage band makes it big...
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 21 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What! My little Vopo is worth more money than last year! Now if the value would skyrocket at the same pace I am pouring money into it......sometimes it feels like a bottomless sinkhole. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Geoff
+Quote Post
MattR
post Sep 21 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

Are higher values really what we want? I mean lets just say prices skyrocketed... wouldnt parts suppliers pick up on that and capitalize on that? I dont want to pay tail dragger prices for my VW.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Sep 21 2004, 06:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

The article on the market value going up also had some dazzling words thrown in ...usually reserved for the hard core Pcar purists: targa, mid-engined, M471, 916 , GT. etc.
All of the 914s that we have bought, built, raced and exhibited and put into the faces of these NARP types is coming of age.
Of course last months article WCC '04 ( props Jerrone !), and the enthusiasm of a place like 914Club , further escalates our 914s heritage and value. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 21 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

and just think...the more idiots out there like me that modify/molest their 914's, the better the market for the stock 914's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

wish I had a place to store another car* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

*the hard part would be to keep my hands and tools away from it, hahahaha
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Sep 21 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,349

Does this mean that I have to repaint my tubbie back to its original boring green? Never! I halfway believe it, because now, with the Internet, the cars can be shuffled to who really wants them. But then again, didn't somebody here once say that Excellence just rehashes the 914 market story every year?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 21 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

But then again, didn't somebody here once say that Excellence just rehashes the 914 market story every year?

yes and no.....I think it's hard to add anything that has already been printed before..he pretty much states the facts (and throws in a few of his own opinions which I don't agree with always (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Sep 21 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #16

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

I heartily approve of a little market recognition for these cars. Not because of any illusory financial gain. But because the cars deserve recognition. I have been driving a pristine 78 911SC for a month now and I really enjoy driving that car, but I MISS MY 914! Not to get all teary eyed here, but this car holds a unique position in Porsche history and features many innovations. Little kid told me a couple of months ago before I put the 914 in rehab as he walked by my car at a light: "Cool car!" It may spur more people to keep these cars from going to rust!
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Sep 21 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #17

914 addicted

Watch for posts from my son (monkei) as he enjoys 914 ownership on a budget. I saw him this weekend get a gasoline bath changing a fuel filter. He is really pumped to get his car ready for some AX work. I have a roller with a solid running 1.7 with tranny and I am looking for a kid who wants a great deal on a project car now that my son is starting with a running complete car.
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Sep 21 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #18

914 addicted

Mike,
You can store one (914) car at my work for one year for free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
theol00
post Sep 21 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,586

I always said it - the 914 is today the poor man's speedster - give it an other decade and we are there ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 21 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Mike,
You can store one (914) car at my work for one year for free.

what about trailers? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Brad and I might have to move our trailers here at my job, the company is thinking of moving from Fremont to Hayward and I have no idea what the new location will look like parking wise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:41 AM