Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project 914 1.8T, Some pics of the conversion...
Mueller
post Sep 27 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Not sure what you mean.

with "most" FWD cars, Hondas, GTI, Jettas with VR6 (and 4 bangers), the axles are parallel with the crankshaft of the engine

Audi is really the main company to have FWD cars with the engine crankshaft perpendicular to the drive axles

Do you know if the VR6 bolts up the Audi transmissions??

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Sep 27 2004, 02:12 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,533

As for halfshafts, I'm quite sure you can get custom ones built with whichever spline pattern is necessary (Audi inboard, Porsche outboard). The offroad guys did it on a regular basis. Perhaps these guys known a source (http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com)
+Quote Post
freezing14
post Sep 27 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #23

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

hey mike,,

I went to the link read the whole thing and they mention that you have to use a 5000 front wheel drive tranny, ( the same as the 944) there is no mention of using the quattro tranny and blocking the end,, so no 6 speed 914, unless there is some trick that have not been mention anywhere, but according to my audi knowledge, the center diff work at 50% and can go to 100% if the sensor in the wheel detect slippage,
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 27 2004, 02:26 PM
Post #24

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

It's not uncommon to make up axles by just taking the four axles from the donor and target, cutting, and welding the ends together to make two complete axles and four extra pieces. Seen it done on several swaps. It's not difficult to alter length this way, either, to accomodate transaxles that put their output flanges in a different place.

Most fwd cars use transverse mounted engines, with the crank perpendicular to the centerline of the car. Thus, they also have to have transaxles where all of the shafts run parallel to each other. Audi and Subaru primarily use longitudinal layouts, with the crank and main gearbox shafts running parallel to the car's centerline, and thus have to turn the power 90d at the diff. There are also some VWs done this way, thanks to parts sharing w/ Audi. Many of the Brazilian-made VWs use the longitudinal layout, too, like the Fox.

I wonder:

- how hard would it be to adapt a T4 or a Six to an Audi gearbox?
- how much heavier is the Audi gearbox?
- how much are the replacement parts?

An Audi transaxle swap might be more cost-effective than rebuilding a 901, esp. if the internals are cheaper, to boot. Depends on how much the gearboxes cost used, and how much it would cost to fabricate axles. Since a full rebuild of a 901 is over $4K and even a quality refurbishment is going to run close to a grand, the Audi bits would have to be awfully expensive to not make this a more viable way to go.
+Quote Post
freezing14
post Sep 27 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #25

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

I have no reference for this but i would think that the VR6 engine would bolt directly to the Audi tranny,, they have the same blood!!!!, the new 3.2 V6 in the golf and in the TT are the same but the golf has the engine mounted tranversally and the TT has it longitudinally,,
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 27 2004, 03:39 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,149

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 27 2004, 12:08 PM)
Not sure what you mean.

with "most" FWD cars, Hondas, GTI, Jettas with VR6 (and 4 bangers), the axles are parallel with the crankshaft of the engine

Audi is really the main company to have FWD cars with the engine crankshaft perpendicular to the drive axles

Do you know if the VR6 bolts up the Audi transmissions??

Actually you can post the question on VWvortex.com on the technical hybrid forum and i'm sure someone knows if it'll mount.

By the way...the Audi TT's engine is mounted transverse style as opposed to the a4/passat being mounted longitutely.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Sep 27 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #27

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

is this a 6 speed?

mate this trans to a type 4 or a six....
how does it shift? the cable setup looks easy....
+Quote Post
75boxster
post Sep 27 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,488

SKS on Audiworld.com did this conversion a couple of years ago. He did a full on
race car though. Had 335 width tires on the back!!!! He had custon axles done
up so for sure it can and has been done. You can probably get a hold of him on
that forum if you want to.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 27 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #29

914 Freak!

SKS on Audiworld.com did this conversion a couple of years ago. He did a full on
race car though. Had 335 width tires on the back!!!! He had custon axles done up so for sure it can and has been done. You can probably get a hold of him on

I don't consider the car that SKS built as being a "conversion", if I'm not mistaken, it's a full on custom tube frame car that just "looks" like a 914...not that there is anything wrong with that, hahahaha

914_1.8t knows that new axles can be made, he just does not want to shell out the big $$$$ for them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm sticking with the 914 transmission, I have at least 3 good side shifters plus a few tailshifters if I need parts....the adapter plate and flywheel is about a week away from being delivered
+Quote Post
75boxster
post Sep 28 2004, 09:14 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,488

You are probably right about the SKS car. I have emailed him a couple of times about questions on how he handled
certain technical problems. Although the car is very heavily modified the mounting points for the motor and A6 tranny
he used were the stock mounting points. I believe he used a Tilton pedal cluster for the brakes and hydraulics that
the Audi tranny required. I had a 98 Passat with the 1.8t and the APR stage III kit on it. The car was very strong and probably
weighed 1,000lbs. more than the 914 soooo...... Have fun with your conversion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 28 2004, 09:33 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(75boxster @ Sep 28 2004, 07:14 AM)
You are probably right about the SKS car. I have emailed him a couple of times about questions on how he handled
certain technical problems. Although the car is very heavily modified the mounting points for the motor and A6 tranny
he used were the stock mounting points. I believe he used a Tilton pedal cluster for the brakes and hydraulics that
the Audi tranny required. I had a 98 Passat with the 1.8t and the APR stage III kit on it. The car was very strong and probably
weighed 1,000lbs. more than the 914 soooo...... Have fun with your conversion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yup, I also had a APR SIII on my passat few years ago...but now have moved to bigger setup, lot more fun than SIII. APR has a SIII+ kit in the works using a GT28RS instead of the GT28R (SIII). The turbo i'm using for the 914 is a GT28-71R, it's the next turbo up from the GT28RS.

I'm using the stock 914 pedal cluster (again, my budget is not so high for this project). I just took the master clutch cyl. from the a4 and mounted it behind the clutch pedal of the 914. Although, I need to re-install it for better operation. So when the cluch is depressed the master clutch cyl get depressed. I do need to add a spring or something to help push the pedal back forward after I let go.

I kept the stock 914 brake system (except for 911 SC front suspension+brakes).
I also kept the electrical system (lights, turn signals, etc.) untouched.
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 28 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 27 2004, 09:48 PM)
race car though. Had 335 width tires on the back!!!! He had custon axles done up so for sure it can and has been done. You can probably get a hold of him on

I don't consider the car that SKS built as being a "conversion", if I'm not mistaken, it's a full on custom tube frame car that just "looks" like a 914...not that there is anything wrong with that, hahahaha

914_1.8t knows that new axles can be made, he just does not want to shell out the big $$$$ for them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm sticking with the 914 transmission, I have at least 3 good side shifters plus a few tailshifters if I need parts....the adapter plate and flywheel is about a week away from being delivered

Do you think that Aluminum will hold up if I use it for the adapters. I drilled a thick piece of aluminum I had sitting around pretty easily. If it can hold up I think I may be able to buy a aluminum piece and drill/tap it and make my own adapters (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Does anyone here know where I can but some 3" thick pieces of aluminum or stell for that matter?
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Sep 28 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #33

neo life

Member No.: 159

Do you think that Aluminum will hold up if I use it for the adapters. I drilled a thick piece of aluminum I had sitting around pretty easily. If it can hold up I think I may be able to buy a aluminum piece and drill/tap it and make my own adapters  

Does anyone here know where I can but some 3" thick pieces of aluminum or stell for that matter?

The Renegade adapters appear to be aluminum, see their website. If you don't lathe them you need to make sure they are cocentric and have enough shear strength. Doesn't hurt to fab some protos until they may break. The worse case is probably breaking at one end of the axle so it "hammers" the body and exhaust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Try metal salvage yards. You can buy the metal by the lb.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 28 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Felix,

I couldn't find the axle adapters on their website....can you help me out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Sep 28 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #35

neo life

Mike,
Here a pic: RH axle adapter
Felix
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 28 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #36

914 Freak!

thanks Felix........I'd say those are steel, I wouldn't trust aluminum to last very long in that application
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 28 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Try these guys for the axles; I think they do specials: http://www.cvunlimited.com/
Also try: http://www.raxles.com/

I've been intrigued by the 1.8T engine and trans swap for some time. Nice to see someone giving it a try. It seems like a really well suited power package for the 914.

This same 5 speed, model 012, is found in the '97 or '98 up Passat/Audi. About 1 year ago, a local guy had an '01 Passat transaxle with 15K miles for sale on Ebay.......no takers at a starting bid of $300. I checked the trans code, and it was a legit '01 Passat.

Andy
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Sep 28 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #38

neo life

I'd say those are steel, I wouldn't trust aluminum to last very long in that application

Mike,
you're probably right, but there used to be aluminum WHEEL adapters back in the day (I bought steel) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Of course it's a conversion, just not easily replicated... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Felix

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 29 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #39

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like it started from a 914... Counts as a 914 to me!!!

(heck if I had it my way, thats how mine would look......)

Lots of 914 metal still present.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 29 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #40

914 Freak!

well....i stand corrected, it is/was a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:40 AM