Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking to buy 73 1.7
BiG bOgGs
post Sep 27 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #1

The Bogus One

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

Other than looking over the basics that should be checked for on any 914, are there any specific problems to check for on the 73 1.7? Also is there any way to verify what options/color/wheels/ect. that the car first came with?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 27 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,763

1.7? Why wouldn't you want a 2.0?
+Quote Post
wheelo
post Sep 28 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #3

Dude

Member No.: 1,818

Cause... the 1.7 is a reliable... good-tight, little motor!
When she goes..... in-pops the 2056 !!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 28 2004, 02:13 AM
Post #4

Yeah, but you probably don't get sway bars and all the other extras that were standard on the 2.0.
+Quote Post
wilchek
post Sep 28 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,177

I have a 73 1.7 and it has been great. I did install the center console, but I had fun doing it. We don't have a front sway bar either, but the car still handles better than any car I have ever driven,including a lotus. Check under the battery(ie hell hole) and jack the car up and take the wheels off and look everywhere, I mean everywhere. Try to look under the rocker covers, under the trunk mat, under the seats and behind the back pad, Under the spare and the list goes on. After you found no rust HAHA. After you found the rust try to figure out how bad it is. If the car had a recent repaint and you don't know the owner or don't have pics to prove they fixed what is under the new paint, steer clear. Don't be in a rush it took me 3 years to find the car I wanted and it still has issues, but that is why we buy them. As my friend put it best, the car is not an investment, it will cost you a lot of money, and you will enjoy spending it, you only live once. As to original options and color. Not many options on a 1.7, as for color, it is on a plate on the drives side door, hinge side. Check out the site below for codes. http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

Good Luck
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 28 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

1.7? Why wouldn't you want a 2.0?

oh great, another 2.0 elitist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, but you probably don't get sway bars and all the other extras that were standard on the 2.0

not all 2.0's came with swaybars, my '74 2.0 had no front bar....

factory sway bars are dirt cheap, any swaybar is fairly easy to install down the road if you need one (you should have one, makes the car even better)

for the paint, you'd have to look for signs of a repaint or write down the paint code and check it out.....as for the wheels, there are a few that could have been put on by the factory and a few more the dealer could have put on...if you are serious, you could pick up a few 914 books* and use those for a referance/guide

*pelican,ebay, even amazon should list them
+Quote Post
MattR
post Sep 28 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I dont think the 1.7 is any more or less reliable then the 2.0...

And if you rebuild the engine, the 2.0 would have good (3 bolt) heads, unlike the 1.7. If you're buying a car with the intention of doing a 2056 rebuild, I'd spring for the 2.0 because of the heads.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 28 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #8

Elitist? I just know a good "thing" when I see it. I always liked those ugly convertables. Anywho, on the '73 2.0 the goodies were standard. On the '74 they were options. Except for the LEs, they had everything for less. Funny marketing, wierd paint, fully loaded, loose money. What was porsche thinking? Wish I owned one. Another BIG difference, stronger engine case.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 28 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Another BIG difference, stronger engine case

and how is that so??? the only reason people want the GA case is that it was an original 2.0 non-smog motor case...no big deal at all...bragging rights only to have a GA case.....

as to 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0?...the engine does not matter, you want the cleanest, most solid chassis you can find..the motor is the easiest item to replace/upgrade compared to having to do major rust repair...
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Sep 28 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #10

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Are you sure in the stronger engine case? I know Jake Raby uses any of the type IVs. I would think that if the 2.0s are stronger he would stick to them.

Sway bar in the front is an easy upgrade and worth the effort. There are some who question the value of a rear sway bar on a fairly stock car. Add weight and big power, then you want to add a rear sway bar too.

As I recall the '73 is the first year with the side shift trannie and the '73 1.7L has a few more ponies (a very few) than the 1.8L. So yea, it is a good place to start.

The key is look for rust. If there is a 914 owner in your area, ask them to help you look any good candidates over. There are lots of 914 owners in FL. Also give the electrical a good look. Too many cars have been "custom" wired over the years and it can be hell figuring out what the PO was trying to accomplish.

Good luck finding a car!
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 28 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 28 2004, 02:48 PM)
Another BIG difference, stronger engine case

and how is that so??? the only reason people want the GA case is that it was an original 2.0 non-smog motor case...no big deal at all...bragging rights only to have a GA case.....

as to 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0?...the engine does not matter, you want the cleanest, most solid chassis you can find..the motor is the easiest item to replace/upgrade compared to having to do major rust repair...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Rust is the most important issue.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 28 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Sep 28 2004, 03:00 PM)
Are you sure in the stronger engine case? I know Jake Raby uses any of the type IVs. I would think that if the 2.0s are stronger he would stick to them.

Stronger case? Where'd you hear that? Basically, all the cases are interchangeable up through 1979. Bus and Type 4 cases have to be modified to work in a 914 application, but they're the same other than the dipstick, the oil filler, and the fuel pump drive flange on the carbureted motors. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Sep 28 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #13

The Bogus One

Today I took better look at the 73 I was interested in. I have not spoken directly to the owner who is out of the area, but I spoke with his partner, and he told me the inital info I related to ya'll in my inital post. I will now update.

Initally I had only seen the car from the outside. Today I saw inside and under. The biggest find was the label on the inside of the drivers door that read 10/71 as the manufacture date, second was the look under the rear to see the tail shift trans. Third on the list, battery moved to trunck and put in a marine type closed plastic case. And the final killer a cracked windshield on the passenger side. So to sum up it is a 71 maybe 72 with acid/rust damage to the frame. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) So much for my high hopes.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 28 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

the main thing is that you learned a little here and did not jump right in and buy a major headache (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Sep 28 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #15

The Bogus One

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Thanks to everyone that put their 2 cents in....now....anyone know of a 914 in good shape (read daily driver) that can be slowly improved on. Florida cars please. I don't want to drive hundreds of miles to find more rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Sep 28 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #16

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

For the year, check out the VIN number on the driver's side windshield post or DOT sticker in the rear driver's door jam. It will start with 47_, the _ is the model year. Sure sounds like you came across a '72. Hold out for a '73 with the side shift transmission. Although, a good rust free car is hard to pass up.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 28 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

It's worth noting that early tail shift cars can be converted to side shift. Just saying it again, so there's no confusion.
+Quote Post
tiim5
post Sep 28 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,791

I am very happy with my 73 1.7. Mark De Bernardi of this list is doing the restoration. He even lets me assist, in a very minor way. These cars are wonderful and fun - restoring can be as rewarding as driving them. Find one, ask questions and use this board for resources, that's how I found Mark. Enjoy!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:25 PM