Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NEVER hook up the washer, bad news
bob91403
post Sep 28 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,763

I made the mistake of trying to hook up the washer system on my car. Nightmare, the hoses after 30 years are all cracked and leaking. No sooner did I connect it and there was a flood of water streaming out of my steering column. Had to replace all the electrical connectors. Big pain in the ass. Easy to switch over to an electric pump. Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone was considering the same mistake. DON"T DO IT!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 28 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Or do this:

Step One: Replace all 30 year old hoses with new hoses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Apparently I'm a big ol' smart ass tonight.
+Quote Post
Levi
post Sep 28 2004, 01:40 AM
Post #3

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Sep 27 2004, 11:46 PM)
Or do this:

Step One: Replace all 30 year old hoses with new hoses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

well yes you are ...and I'm gawddam proud of you.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 28 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,763

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Sep 27 2004, 10:46 PM)
Or do this:

Yeah, I found it less trouble to cut them out and put in an electric pump. Also means you don't have to over inflate your spare. The switch in the steering column is also notorious for leaking.
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Sep 28 2004, 02:54 AM
Post #5

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

Or........empty system before removing pipework
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Sep 28 2004, 06:33 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

I had this figured for an OT, NPC post and wanted to find out if the dryer installation went okay.

Considering the current rust content of my car, I doubt that I will ever take it for a drive in weather of any kind, hence my disinclination to futz with the windshield washer system.
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Sep 28 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #7

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

There is a very nice article in a panaorama back issue or the pelican website (can't remember which) about how to use the wiper switch from a 924 to operate an electric washer pump from the windshield wiper lever just like stock. It is very slick.

That said I have both a '66 bug which I have owned for 20 years and a 914 that I have owned for 15 and the air washers have always worked great. Unless you really use your washers a lot there is no reason to hook up the tire. Sure you'll run out of air before you run out of fluid, but I drive my bug in CT in the winter and it's not a problem. The systems do need a little maintenance. I use clear vinyl tubing to replace the cracked rubber stuff and I seal joints with Dow silicone paste or vacuum grease.

Really either way it's a bit of work to get the washers working, really just a matter of preference.

Kelly
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 28 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(blabla914 @ Sep 28 2004, 09:01 AM)
There is a very nice article in a panaorama back issue or the pelican website (can't remember which) about how to use the wiper switch from a 924 to operate an electric washer pump from the windshield wiper lever just like stock. It is very slick.

or ...

you just go to the "Classic Message Threads" forum here and look up my post about "HOW TO: add a electric washer pump" ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:16 PM