Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speaking of tops, Are they hard to reseal?
davidcalvin
post Sep 28 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,662

My targa top makes loud squeaky noises when I drive. If I press my hand upward against the top from the inside as I drive, it shuts up. Sounds like I need new rubber stuff between the top and the frame?

Also there is a hunk missing out of the right side, side targa top rubber stuff, so there is a lot of wind noise with the top on. I see there is a part for this at pelican... hard to install? Whats the procedure?

Thanks all,

David
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 28 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

It's just talking to you. It loves you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Not hard. Procedure, take off old ones, put on new ones, but really, it's not hard.
+Quote Post
Levi
post Sep 28 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #3

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Sep 27 2004, 11:43 PM)
It's just talking to you. It loves you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Not hard. Procedure, take off old ones, put on new ones, but really, it's not hard.

Good one dude...your on a roll tonight, I'm sippin a shot of B&B...you?.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 28 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,763

There are two metal posts that the back latches hook on to. Slide some plastic or rubber tubing over the posts. Worked for me.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 28 2004, 02:43 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,763

Two one ebay. One used one new. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper than Pelican. Search for porsche 914 targa seal.
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Sep 28 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 366

Beware of cheap reproduction top front seals. they tend to fall apart in short order after install, the stretch from install pulls the two side rubbers off the top rubber, and then they leak and are worthless.

OEM seals are good, however, the 914 is almost never totally watertight, so if you park outside in the rain all year, you should consider some form of sealant if you find much water getting in (and subsequent rust issues )

for the rainy season, if you plan on keeping the top on for months, try a thin little bead of black silicon rubber along the top on the outside, and run that bead of silicone thru the area where the top side seals meet the top of the window posts. This should take care of most drips in heavy wind driven rain. the silicone if thinnly applied is easy to remove for summer top off fun.

Also try as suggested by other poster to pad the latch mechanism hooks, so it grabs tighter and pulls down more. (assuming new rubber in the rear does not fix the noise issue) I have slipped some small vinyl tubbing (aquarium tubing) over the hook, also might try stripped heavy gauge wire insulation.

Other thing to help stop the squeking is to add some foam rubber to build up the original rear rubber seal, get some hardware store self adhesive window/door insulation foam, and stick it to the rear top rubber, and see if that helps. This will give more squish of the seal. Also be sure your front latches are tight, there is a nut that can be lossened to allow re-adjustment, you want these pretty darn tight, when ight this does help reduce some of the top motion.

The squeaking is likely the top moving around causing its rear rubber seal to rub on the targa roll bar. If you compress the rubber more, either by cinching the top down more, or adding more thickness of rubber, you can usally stop the squeking. The rear top seal is generally never a cause for a water leak, except in cases of severe wind driven rain.

So there you have it, rear top seal compression is major contributor to squeaks, adn the front top seal is the major source of interior leaks, and and floor rust (unless leaking battery acid has already provided drain holes)

good luck in a quite, and dry roof.

dave

PS. of course a severly rusted car that is ready to fold in half will lack so much stiffness, that the top will always shift around and make noise. Hope this aint your problem!
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Sep 28 2004, 09:27 AM
Post #7

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

The rear seal is made by "sammy"...check the vendor forum. Side seals on the top are easy to find...that front one is a bitch....both to install and find a good one...
+Quote Post
markb
post Sep 28 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #8

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 28 2004, 08:27 AM)
The rear seal is made by "sammy"...check the vendor forum. Side seals on the top are easy to find...that front one is a bitch....both to install and find a good one...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 28 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #9

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

GPR has a really good front seal. I did the install, worked good, good fit, no leaks. Only been on the 914 for 3 months, but put some miles on it. $150 I think? Worth every penny though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Sep 28 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,662

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. Don't think my car is rusty, its been garaged all its life and I see no signs of it nor does my mechanic.

I wont be driving it in the rain, and it currently sits in the garage while the nearly new toyota celica sits out on the street. Poor thing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:42 PM