Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> decent compression numbers?
dlo914
post Sep 28 2004, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,697

ran a compression test today: 100/100/100/115. (1st - 4th cylinder) should these compression numbers be higher in the 130 range? or am i gonna be fine? prossibly replace piston rings? valve adjustment?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Sep 28 2004, 05:23 AM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

The numbers sound similar to mine IIRC. They're all fairly similar to each other also which is good, If you had one cylinder at 75psi then you could worry. The CR is pretty low on these engines. If you haven't adjusted the valves then that would be a good thing and see if the numbers are any different. If you add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinders and the numbers improve then the rings may be worn.
I reckon they sound pretty healthy.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 28 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What's your altitude?
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Sep 28 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,724

What engine do you have?

I have a 2.0 built up with bigger P&Cs (PPO did the rebuild, don't know the actual size of the engine). My compression just tested at 150, 155, 150, 160. I thought that those numbers were pretty damn good.

Since yours are all close to each other you are OK. The recommendation to adjust the valves is good but they would all have to be tight to get such an even reading. Higher readings with a little oil down the sparkplug hole will mean worn rings. If that is the case you could try some of the snake oil avaliable. It could give you a little longer service with higher compression.

-Jeff
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Sep 28 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

ive got a FI 1.8 in the 74', the PO said the heads were rebuilt, but the bottom end prolly just needs new piston rings. the school shop hasnt had the time to adjust the valves, hopefully they'll adjust them. And since it's at the school shop i'm getting the entire car inspected for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Sep 28 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #6

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

i think i'd rather have my 914 sitting in a snow/salt mixture than a school shop....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 05:51 PM