Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remember the first time you brought it home!, 914 home for first time!
morph
post Sep 28 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #21

quality parts builder

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i remeber getting mine clearly.
i built a 1835 for a guy who wanted it for a 66bug he was building.i needed the money then so iwas back in like four days with the motor.didnt have the money yet.
"but i got this porsche i can trade you for part of the money"the guy told me.i was a bug guy at the time."i dunno"i said to him.took me in his side yard and there it was.yellow 73 with a 1.7 in it.it was covered with leaves and all the tires was flat.had rivies on it.i said ill pick it up tomorow.he gave 300.00 bucks and the car done deal.i showed up the next day to pick it up with my brothers trailer.he said "oh no it runs" he put a battery in it,put air in the tires fired right up.told me it has a small oil leak.now i was thinking i can get something for it.drove it up on the trailer.of we went
went i got it off the trailer.i drove it around the block FAST!that one drive impressed me so much i kept the car to this day.thats it in my avitar.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jeff
post Sep 28 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,570

Arrived on a flatbed and i left it in the front of the house w/no drivetrian for 1 week questioning my wife (DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT CAR BELONGS TO??) still not running getting close ill post a pic soon!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Sep 28 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,348

First one i brought home? I never came home that night! Filled the tank, washed it up real good, and then emptied the tank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Sep 28 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #24

Check it out... 3 loops!

Member No.: 1,970

QUOTE(MattR @ Sep 28 2004, 04:40 PM)
When I brought my first 914 home? Uh, I pushed it into my driveway and took out the engine that night... Im probably one of the few on this board who hasnt driven their 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif). Soon enough it'll be done!

You're not alone! I've ridden in a 914, but haven't ever driven one yet. Looking forward to it though. until then... lots of rust to take care of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 28 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #25

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I've told this story before. But for the enjoyment of some of the new readers here goes. I called on an ad for a 1972 914. Didn't really know anything about the little cars but my shop manager and I went to check it out. I ended up buying the car. I tried to drive it home but the shift bushings were totally screwed and I couldn't shift enough to get it on the highway. We went to a local flaps and purchased a tow strap and flat towed the car 150 miles to the shop behind by BMW 2002!

Well, I never actually brought the car home. We tore the car down and started to do the flares. I owned the car for a couple of years. I sold my shop and hauled the car home unfinished. The wife saw it but never really gave it a second look. I decided to finish the car on day and hauled over to a friends shop to finish the work. I worked after hours sometimes all night for about two weeks to finish it up.

The day finally came. I rumbled the little 1.7 out of the shop at about 5:00 am. I cruised around for a while and pulled up in the driveway just in time for my wife to head off to work. I'll never forget the reaction. She asked "what are you going to do with that! you can't take the kids in it." She say's "That's nothing but a pickup car!" "The only thing that car is good for is picking up chicks!" She mellowed over time. She actually likes the car now. She talks about the FFC coming up and the WCC 05. But for awhile The black beauty was like the other woman! She hated it.
+Quote Post
SLKWrx
post Sep 29 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,845
Region Association: North East States

Hey all,
I'm new to the club, and for that matter to 914's as well. I just purchased a half completed resto job (PO tore it down and got bored with it). I had one ride in a 914 at an auto-x a few years back and have been searching for one ever since. Mine will probably not see my house for at least a year; so much work to do. Pictures will be up later

-- Steve
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Sep 29 2004, 07:15 AM
Post #27

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

I had wanted a teener forever. Every year for Christmas I asked for one.
The running family joke on Christmas morning was:
"Did you get me a 914 as a gift?"
"What color did you want?"
(I would guess a color)
"Sorry. We were going to give you a (different color) one. Maybe next year."

Years later when I finally bought one for myself, I drove directly to my dads house after I picked up the car. I walked in the front door and announced "Guess what I got?" When I said that I had bought a Porsche he didn't believe me. I had to drag him out to the driveway to prove it. I offered him the keys but he said "No thanks". My dad was the 1st passenger to ride in my teener.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Sep 29 2004, 07:28 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

Bought mine from a guy in Dayton here. It was pretty decent. I took out a loan for $5000 to get the car and some tools I knew I would need.

I drove it home and parked it in front of the house I was renting from what are now my inlaws. After about 1/2 an hour it looked like rain so I went out to start it up and take it around the alley to the garage. It wouldn't start. I was going to push it and tried again, it started just before the rain hit.

The battery ground bolt was all rusty. I cleaned that up some and drove it for about 5 years until 1991 when I started doing everything I ever wanted to do to it. I am finishing the final touch up before the final coat of paint Sunday.

How come my neighbors all love my cars but my cars never seem to run?
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Sep 29 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,461

I was standing in my driveway, thinking, what's the most fun car I ever had, a 1971 914 with a 2 L in it. So I walked up to the 7/11, bought a car mag. Next morning, I'm talking to my son about it, he says,"Grandpa's thinking of selling his 914-6". No way, told my son, I'll call you back, I called my step-dad, mom answered the phone, said, Rick said John was thinking of selling the 914-6, mom says,"No Way". Then says, we'll call you back. I went to the movies, came home, message on answering machine, We'll sell you the 914-6 for $10k. I called them back, when do you want the money. John had owned her for the last 30 years, Engine had only 11k miles on it since full rebuild and upgrade to run unleaded fuel. John had the engine done then came down with cancer, he only drove her a couple of times a year.

Bought the car, drove her home, called friends in San Fran, said time to go on a road trip, so I took off for a week in San Fran, took the coast road up and back. She ran great the whole trip.

Took her over to my step-dads after I had the resoration done, said lets go for a ride. Tossed him the keys, he caught them, stopped, looked at me, said,"I didn't let anyone else drive her for
30 years, you shouldn't either, threw the keys back to me. We went for a drive, he loved it. He gave me one of the best compliments I ever got. I sold her to you, because I knew you'd restore her and take care of her, your brothers and sisters would have just run the wheels off her.

One last thing, John's cancer went into remission for 10-11 years, just came back a few months ago, just went thru cemo last month, looks like the cancer in going back into remission, hopefully. He's got 4 different cancers, lynph, skin, and 2 others I can't spell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:00 AM