Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replacing Oil Return Tube Seals =, Any hints on doing it..
David Mueller
post Sep 29 2004, 08:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

I got oil leaking (what a suprise !) from the oil return tube seals on the passenger side of the engine. Oils drips down onto the centre of the heat exchanger and causes a mess..
I can't find instructions to tell me how to change the o-ring seals at the top and bottom of the tubes.

Can I pull the tubes while they are installed in the car or do I have to pull the heads to get at them...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 29 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(David Mueller @ Sep 29 2004, 06:03 AM)
I got oil leaking from the oil return tube seals on the passenger side of the engine.... Can I pull the tubes while they are installed in the car...

i presume we are talking about a 6-cylinder engine, yes ?

there are replacement expandable oil return tubes; all the usual suspects have them. it can be done with the engine assembled and in the car but you'll probably have to pull the heat exchangers, itself a job not for the faint of heart (we hate broken exhaust studs ...)
+Quote Post
David Mueller
post Sep 29 2004, 08:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 236

I guess I should have said..it's a 2.0L 4 cylinder car...I found the leak while trying to install a remote oil cooler...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 29 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

oh no, another "mueller" on board (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

welcome

yes, the O-rings can be replaced with the motor and heads intact.

not too sure if the exhaust has to be pulled or not, mine was already off when I changed my O-rings

remove valve covers, remove rocker arms, find an open end wrench that slips over the smaller diameter of the tube near the head, with a small hammer, tap the wrench
to drive the tube out of the block.

you can now remove the tube and the push rod, they will come out, however, it's sorta like a puzzle figureing out which direction to make go to fully be removed

you don't have to fully remove them if you don't want, there should be enough room to get the old rings off and install the new ones.

I use a little bit of clean oil upon reinstalling...do a search here on the subject of O-rings for this purpose, Jake Raby recommends a teflon paste
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:41 PM