Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Optima blew out...... took the temp gauge with it............., Battery shorted out on its own........couple of issues
avidfanjpl
post Apr 10 2012, 02:45 AM
Post #1

914 Hemophiliac

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

19 Months and one day Orangina will not start, and I mean no lights of any kind. Got my Schumacher charger out, and it said it had a short in the Optima battery.

Now the directional switcher doesn't work in the tack, the center console clock and voltmeter are fine. The temp gague stopped working. I have one of those $40 temp gauge that is the oil stick, and on Sunday, a hot day, I took it at 2 for a 65 mile jaunt across LA and SBDO. Temp stayed at 225.

Any ideas on the gauge or the tach directional box? Think that is on the inside of the fuse panel.

THANKS!

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
Bartlett 914
post Apr 10 2012, 06:33 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Apr 10 2012, 03:45 AM) *

19 Months and one day Orangina will not start, and I mean no lights of any kind. Got my Schumacher charger out, and it said it had a short in the Optima battery.

Now the directional switcher doesn't work in the tack, the center console clock and voltmeter are fine. The temp gague stopped working. I have one of those $40 temp gauge that is the oil stick, and on Sunday, a hot day, I took it at 2 for a 65 mile jaunt across LA and SBDO. Temp stayed at 225.

Any ideas on the gauge or the tach directional box? Think that is on the inside of the fuse panel.

THANKS!

John

sounds like t alternator / voltage regulator failed. this destroyed everything. i don't think the battery is the cause.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Apr 10 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Common failure in the Optima's actually. Plates break loose=short=takes out the charging system. It's the Red Tops that do this BTW.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 10 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #4

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

FWIW you're supposed to use a AGM type charger on an optima.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Apr 10 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 10 2012, 09:54 AM) *

FWIW you're supposed to use a AGM type charger on an optima.

PLease elaborate for retards like me. AGM is?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 10 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Absorbed Glass Mat
+Quote Post
unpolire
post Apr 10 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,260
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 10 2012, 07:32 AM) *

Common failure in the Optima's actually. Plates break loose=short=takes out the charging system. It's the Red Tops that do this BTW.

I have had 4 red-top and 1 yellow-top Optima fail repeatedly. Unrelated to car issues. I have an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat)-compatible electronic charger, but that is not the issue. When they go they will not accept a charge, period. Very frustrating as I thought I was buying the best for $180-$220+. I have seen a brand new one fail in 30 days, verified by the distributor. Amazingly, when you have a good one, they are apparently invincible. Distributor showed me one that has never been charged in 8 years and had perfect voltage. Production switched outside of the USA and this could be the problem with internal quality.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 10 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(unpolire @ Apr 10 2012, 11:32 AM) *

I have had 4 red-top and 1 yellow-top Optima fail repeatedly. Unrelated to car issues. I have an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat)-compatible electronic charger, but that is not the issue. When they go they will not accept a charge, period. Very frustrating as I thought I was buying the best for $180-$220+. I have seen a brand new one fail in 30 days, verified by the distributor. Amazingly, when you have a good one, they are apparently invincible. Distributor showed me one that has never been charged in 8 years and had perfect voltage. Production switched outside of the USA and this could be the problem with internal quality.

That last sentence pretty much sums it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Apr 10 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Too funny. I just replaced my Red top this morning...funny things were happening!
+Quote Post
a914622
post Apr 10 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,048

The first red top i had laster 8 years starting the little diesel,porsche,dozer, what ever.

The second one lasted 60 days in the toyota 4x4. A missed Q with a stump jar-ed the battery hard enough to break one of the plates loose and fried it.

I have heard rumors a hard drop on the counter at the parts store will bugger them up? Chin-Sing quality.

jcl
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Apr 11 2012, 03:43 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I have a yellow Optima that is acting up, it is less than 2 years old.
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Apr 11 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #12

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

I've got a red top that gets used in a car on occasion, but mostly floats around the garage and gets called upon to jump the kids cars. I use an old fashion charger on it 1-2 times a year to top it up. It is 7+ years old and still works fine. Guess I've been lucky...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 11 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #13

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

This is why they shortened the warranty to just 24 mos. IIRC about 2-3 years ago - when they combined with Interstate (another formerly invincible battery - don't know who bought out who), moved production elsewhere & cut warranties - just selling off the former good name apparently! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Bad Luck John! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Text me when you're going to AX the dark knight next!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Apr 11 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #14

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

had my yellow top 5 years and running with no tender and sadly sat for 3 months at one point without even a start. Still cranked up no problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
greenie
post Apr 11 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,013

QUOTE(unpolire @ Apr 10 2012, 09:32 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

My experience is that these batteries do not stand up to recharging, if you do not use the car regularly and keep the battery near full charge they do not last.

I've spent to many $$ on Optimas and seen no benefit for the extra money.
The last one I purchased would not hold a charge.

I'm not buying them again.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 04:39 PM