Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012 Pikes Peak Hillclimb, There is a 914 Entered!
byndbad914
post Aug 16 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #61

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

seeing this really makes me sad I didn't find out PP was paved to the top until registration was full. That would have been 2 Sheridan bodied V8 cars tearing up the hill! And I am not sure I know what 7/10s is, but according to my friends that is apparently how I drive to go to work so that might be the problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I wouldn't go 10/10s the first time tho' that is for sure, those slopes are more like cliffs as a few have found out the hard way.

After I start the Nova project over the winter I might put the engine and trans back in the 914 if the project is going too slow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 16 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 16 2012, 10:08 AM) *

seeing this really makes me sad I didn't find out PP was paved to the top until registration was full. That would have been 2 Sheridan bodied V8 cars tearing up the hill! And I am not sure I know what 7/10s is, but according to my friends that is apparently how I drive to go to work so that might be the problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I wouldn't go 10/10s the first time tho' that is for sure, those slopes are more like cliffs as a few have found out the hard way.

After I start the Nova project over the winter I might put the engine and trans back in the 914 if the project is going too slow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Ha, 10/10s is kind of like you drive an autox.

IMHO at PP with 156 corners it'll take a bit of time to learn the course. Even on our short courses out here (15-20 real corners) it takes a couple of years to start to feel like you know exactly what to do where. Once you get there you can go fast and stay on the hill.

What, 10:00 minutes up 12.5 miles is about 75mph average, but still that is fast considering 156 corners. Not far from what we average on the hillls out here.

Here is a nice smooth drive up the hill. The car is crazy fast, but he makes it look easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4camxSlVw

Or you can drive flat out like this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0pTT1VmOQ4
+Quote Post
jmacp
post Aug 20 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 14,827

Hello 914 folk, I was directed to this site by a few of you.
The "Green Thing" at Pike's Peak this year is my car, purchased in February from one of you and then heavily modified into it's current configuration.
Let me say this, if you are ever offered to drive up a closed forest road above the treeline, going as fast as you want...just say yes!
Pike's Peak was an extraordinary experience to be sure.
Referencing some of your comments, this was a first year effort. My only communication to any other competitor was to Rod and Rhys Millen to ask about a gearing choice. The rest of the car we just took our best shot.
With very limited testing and development we put a good balance on the car and put it in the trailer.
What we need for next time is more power ie: forced induction, tbd. Given the time constraints we opted to run what we brung and use the stock LS6 with the Pantera "stacked" efi. Dyno runs and further tuning on the mountain gave us approximately 520 hp (corrected).
All in all, I view the effort as a success. The car developed a high speed loose during our run (approximately 30 degrees hotter ambient than our testing during the week) and when I arrived on top the road was drenched and steaming...sometimes difficult to see the centerline because of the steam...I chose to uncharacteristically ease up (I guess age does that) and just get it to the line without wiping off the smile.
You're right about Bill Cooper being a fast guy (just ask him) we spent all day yesterday parked next to one another at a car show here in Bozeman.
Thanks for the pictures and video, the best coverage is right here, jeff
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 20 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #64

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jmacp @ Aug 20 2012, 09:33 AM) *
Hello 914 folk

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Woody
post Aug 20 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #65

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2012, 12:03 PM) *

Hello 914 folk

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 20 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #66

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

thanks for joining us!
+Quote Post
flipb
post Aug 20 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jmacp @ Aug 20 2012, 12:33 PM) *

The "Green Thing" at Pike's Peak this year is my car, purchased in February from one of you and then heavily modified into it's current configuration.

Okay, the speed of the build obviously didn't leave time to document in a build thread, but would love to hear more about the project.

And congrats on doing something that most mere mortals dream about...

+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 20 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Hello 914 folk, I was directed to this site by a few of you.
Let me say this, if you are ever offered to drive up a closed forest road above the treeline, going as fast as you want...just say yes!
Pike's Peak was an extraordinary experience to be sure.
Referencing some of your comments, this was a first year effort. My only communication to any other competitor was to Rod and Rhys Millen to ask about a gearing choice. The rest of the car we just took our best shot.
With very limited testing and development we put a good balance on the car and put it in the trailer.
What we need for next time is more power ie: forced induction, tbd. Given the time constraints we opted to run what we brung and use the stock LS6 with the Pantera "stacked" efi. Dyno runs and further tuning on the mountain gave us approximately 520 hp (corrected).
All in all, I view the effort as a success. The car developed a high speed loose during our run (approximately 30 degrees hotter ambient than our testing during the week) and when I arrived on top the road was drenched and steaming...sometimes difficult to see the centerline because of the steam...I chose to uncharacteristically ease up (I guess age does that) and just get it to the line without wiping off the smile.
You're right about Bill Cooper being a fast guy (just ask him) we spent all day yesterday parked next to one another at a car show here in Bozeman.
Thanks for the pictures and video, the best coverage is right here, jeff

Congratulations on building a great car and successfully running Pikes Peak. To be honest all us NWHA guys aspire to do what you did. Great run. And running any hill being smart is fundamental.

The cool thing is that there aren't many 914 running the hills, but the ones that do have held up the side pretty well this year!

Wish you would bring that great car out to a few of the events on the West Coast.
Not quite Pikes Peak, but we have some great hills and our average times aren't bad.

I have been impressed with Cooper's driving after watching him run Cascade last year. He was just as fast in the wet as in the dry...which wouldn't mean much except he was TTOD.

Welcome to the World Site!
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Aug 20 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 6,508

Jeff is my neighbor & friend - super great person, super car. Pic below is at the local "cruzin on main" show in Bozeman this past weekend.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 20 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #70

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Now we need more pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

How about some with the body work off? Please! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jmacp
post Aug 20 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #71

Attached Image
Well...since you asked, here is a photo of the day I bought the car. The previous owner had jumped in and declared " I need to drive it one more time"...
The results were quite similar to actions preceded by the words "watch this".
Amazingly, other than ego issues, no harm done...?
This was February of this year, I had already ordered and paid for the 914 bodywork and then watched the car sever a power pole...
+Quote Post
jmacp
post Aug 20 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #72

Attached Image
Later that week, much of the original roll cage and other non essentials have been removed...
+Quote Post
jmacp
post Aug 20 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #73

Attached Image
...and still later that week we get an idea of where the new roll cage can be and still retain the 914 appearance...
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Aug 21 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #74

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

Jeff, if you have the time, keep the photos and details coming. We all find it very interesting. And the power poll photo... Wow!

Richard
+Quote Post
jmacp
post Aug 21 2012, 08:21 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 21 2012, 07:04 AM) *

Jeff, if you have the time, keep the photos and details coming. We all find it very interesting. And the power poll photo... Wow!

Richard

You bet Richard...but it may be a week or so...I leave today to drive a handicap Honda Minivan from Minneapolis to SanJose for a relative. It ought to be exciting...
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 21 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jmacp @ Aug 21 2012, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 21 2012, 07:04 AM) *

Richard

You bet Richard...but it may be a week or so...I leave today to drive a handicap Honda Minivan from Minneapolis to SanJose for a relative. It ought to be exciting...

Let all us teeners know when your coming and we'll buy you lunch at one of our great place.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 21 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #77

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 21 2012, 07:35 PM) *
QUOTE(jmacp @ Aug 21 2012, 07:21 AM) *

Let all us teeners know when your coming and we'll buy you lunch at one of our great place.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Jun 27 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #78

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Looks like he is back at Pikes Peak this year.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net-364-1372352914.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 27 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #79

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I would LOVE to crawl around that car. Lotsa cool stuff going on I'm sure.

Took me a second to figure out those bumps on the hood are for wheel/tire clearance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)
And the targa bar is lower making the roof raked. Sweet!
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 27 2013, 12:02 PM
Post #80

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Holy krap! No guard rails! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Not even one of these to keep you from going over and DOWN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:59 PM