Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I posted this and was asked to leave
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 3 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #21

Tuetonic terror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,019

I've had two 1.8s with poor running L-Jet. I KNOW it is a good system but once out of whack can be a pain so I do understand your delima.

I have not had the pleasure of driving a 2.0 with D-Jet but understand that, while on paper it is not as sophisticated and precise as L-jet, in reality it seems to be trouble free for most people much of the time.

My current 2270 set-up runs carbs, only because when I had it buit the only vialble after market F.I. systems cost as much as the engine itself. If/when I have the opportunity I will be switching to the KitCarlson F.I. or similar.

If you have the ability to switch back to F.I. that is great. Better MPG, no inducton roar, less smog, smoother running, more torque over the rev range, better cold starting, etc., etc.

Can you do the work yourself?
Does your engine have the correct cam?
Do you know the system you have works or will you need to replace parts as you go?

I'm not sure about Tucson but in Phoenix there is Stuttgart Southwest, Don Jackson, & Patrick Motorsports, all good shops with various specialties to assist you. I know there are a few more shops here whose names escape me now.

I also believe Phoenix area member 3d914 has MegaSquirt on his 914 and may be able to offer some advice as I would imagine he has removed and installed a few F.I. components.

Best of luck,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 3 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #22

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jan 17 2003, 02:50 PM)
See, that's what nice about Brad running this thing. He sets the criteria pretty high for what constitutes bad taste. To risk being ejected all you have to do is out-asshole the asshole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) A very hard working group of admins run this board. Brad is our highly esteemed founder.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 3 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I had a carbed 1.7 in my 914 till a valve decided to snap off the stem. Then I got a used injected 2.0 Power is great, as well as drivability.

However, I have had to do a ton of work to get it going. Still working on it actually. Here's the pains of what all I had to do to convert.

New FI hoses

Fuel lines (hard and soft)

rebuild the relay board (so the fuel pump would run, it was jumpered off the coil for the carb setup, well 2 boards).

overhaul the wiring harness as it was old and brittle

new FI trigger points

rebush distributor, new vac advance

clean injectors (all stuck shut from varnish), replace 1

rebuild the aux air valve (the two I had both quit)

boil out the gas tank at a radiator shop, the return line was plugged and a 4 inch piece of hard jello (old gas) was in there as well as a ton of rust, sounded like a salt shaker when you shook it.

replace the fuel pump (twice, first used one failed)

Go through all the ground connections on the car - everywhere

So that was a few hundred bucks right there, on something that was basically "all there" but sat for a while. That also wasnt a weekend project, sure putting all the components on and new hoses was the easiest part - but getting it to run period was tough. Brad Anders came over and checked my MPS, ECU, fuel pressure and got it running. Later I had trouble with it dying all the time and it was rust in the fuel tank clogging filters and injector screens. have an ignition problem that is preventing me from passing emissions currently, along the way I had accidently hit the coil and it spun in the mount and grounded out on the engine tin. 4 ignition switches later, re-running a new black wire that melted up I finally found my stupid mistake.

I had been doing this a few hours a night whenever I had time and it really has taken a while to get things where they need to be. Now, if it is all good and one of the FI components fail in the future (MPS or whatever), big bux, big bux.

If your car passes AZ emissions now and is a pleasure cruiser as you say - leave it alone. If you have a part that fails for your carb setup it is a helluva lot more simle and cheap to repair. Also, you didnt say if you were doing the work yourself or farming it out. That could be quite an investment in itself.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 3 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

who is digging up all these old threads and why?

as you can see, people get very confused because they don't pay attention to post-dates ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Nov 3 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #25

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

What’s up with the old thread? I thought there was something wrong with my browser.

I still have carbs on the car just because they are so reliable. I have rounded up all the parts to convert back to D-Jet. Had Jeff Bowlsby rebuild my harness & check my MPS.

I am getting ready to install some 96mm P&C's that I bought from Jake. So, I will have to have the MPS re-calibrated to work properly & not burn a hole in a piston. I will leave the carbs on the car until I get the rings broken in.

I keep thinking the Kit Carlson system will be available some time soon.

Thanks for asking!
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 3 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #26

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I am really looking forward to: KC injection, crankfire, paint job, and custom hubs to make my wheels work.

Then I am really looking forward to a ZF.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 3 2004, 03:10 PM
Post #27

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 3 2004, 12:27 PM)
who is digging up all these old threads and why?

as you can see, people get very confused because they don't pay attention to post-dates ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy

I think Sean dug this one up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 3 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #28

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

yeah, I was looking for something and ended up here somehow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Nov 4 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

lol didn't even take notice to the date until Andy said something.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 02:56 PM