Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autocross Setup
EdwardBlume
post May 15 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I'm wanting some input on autcross setup.

1750 lbs
200+ hp /6
Fg flares
Front welt bar
Torsion unknown
Koni adjustable x 4
LSD

What spring rates?
Camber f and r
Toe out?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 16 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(RobW @ May 15 2012, 10:57 PM) *

I'm wanting some input on autcross setup.

1750 lbs
200+ hp /6
Fg flares
Front welt bar
Torsion unknown
Koni adjustable x 4
LSD

What spring rates?
Camber f and r
Toe out?

Are you going to continue to run cantilever slicks?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 16 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #3

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How big is the front anti-sway bar, what size torsion bars, what tires are you looking to run, and is the a rear bar?

I really liked my setup on the orange car with 22mm tbar, 250lb rear springs, with Tarret sway and a guard tb diff.

I ran -2.25 camber all around on A6s.
+Quote Post
Borderline
post May 16 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

Rob, I thought you were going to sell the car??? I think Grant had the car set up fairly well. I think your old used tires were worse than my newer used tires. You would have been a lot faster on new or at least newer tires. Tires are everything!! If you decide to buy radial tires, you're going to have to put in a lot more camber on both ends.

Hope you keep the car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 16 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Thanks.

Bar is likely 21MM. Torsion unknown. No rear bar, I have LSD (no slipping with a full tank of gas).

Tires are shot but fill out the fenders. I can run any tires.. any recommendation?

I just remember how important the setup was in my last AX car. I want to dial it in and forget about it.

I think Grant had the car dialed in for the track, but I really can't tell you how set up it is at present for AXing. I'm not used to 200+ hp and no weight, but IMHO the car should be lower, lesser springs in back, corner balanced, and some toe in.

I started getting a feel for where I could lean on the rails, but heating the tires took too long, and my braking was terrible. Just not used to going that fast that fast.

Is Custom Alignment still doing good work? Tony C?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 16 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

QUOTE(Borderline @ May 16 2012, 03:37 PM) *

Rob, I thought you were going to sell the car??? I think Grant had the car set up fairly well. I think your old used tires were worse than my newer used tires. You would have been a lot faster on new or at least newer tires. Tires are everything!! If you decide to buy radial tires, you're going to have to put in a lot more camber on both ends.

Tires were 4 years old but still working.

I'm in for now. I turned down a serious offer of $12,000 because I had too much fun. I'll run it until I don't use it again, and then I'll let it go... maybe fix it up some more... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 17 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(RobW @ May 16 2012, 07:04 PM) *

I'm in for now. I turned down a serious offer of $12,000 because I had too much fun. I'll run it until I don't use it again, and then I'll let it go... maybe fix it up some more... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Rob, the last time I drove the car the only thing I felt it needed was to freshen the LSD.
At the Shootout it was allowing the inside tire to spin off of tighter corners.
It needs new tires and possible an alignment for AX.
For the Shootout it had track alignment and new tires...that was it.
We did pretty well with it that way.
That is a top 5 GGR AX car all day!
Run Hoosiers and get an alignment, make sure the LSD is functioning properly and that car will fly! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Check with Grant, I am sure he can tell you everything that is there so you can adjust to your preferences
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 18 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

QUOTE(DanT @ May 17 2012, 11:27 AM) *

Rob, the last time I drove the car the only thing I felt it needed was to freshen the LSD.
Run Hoosiers and get an alignment, make sure the LSD is functioning properly and that car will fly! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Check with Grant, I am sure he can tell you everything that is there so you can adjust to your preferences

It was fuel. Even with a quarter tank, I was getting fuel starvation. 3/4 to Full - no problem. No slip.

I'm a little lost on the suspension because I did well with the 2.0 and a balanced car, while this is rear weighted and a ton more power... I kept expecting to lean hard on a rail that wasn't there.... new tires would be good.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 18 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(RobW @ May 18 2012, 07:08 AM) *

QUOTE(DanT @ May 17 2012, 11:27 AM) *

It was fuel. Even with a quarter tank, I was getting fuel starvation. 3/4 to Full - no problem. No slip.

I'm a little lost on the suspension because I did well with the 2.0 and a balanced car, while this is rear weighted and a ton more power... I kept expecting to lean hard on a rail that wasn't there.... new tires would be good.

New tires would be a big help, but you need to decide whether you want to move to A6's or stay with the canti's. Each requires a different set up as has been explained by several folks.

If I was you I'd try to buy a set of used tires from John, then make up a list of things to do to get the suspension where you want. Also keep your eyes open for a torque bias differential, like from Guard. Sometimes they are on sale or sometimes you can find them used.

After the tires are on get the car corner balanced. This is huge from the viewpoint of performance.

Not sure which shocks you are running but getting them revalved for your corner weights will also be a big performance plus.

Are you going to lighten the car or say where it is?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 18 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #10

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

Rob, I kept the car fairly soft and didnt have aggressive alignment. I had planned to convert car to ax setup if I hadnt sold it to you. It was still fairly balanced so I could run track and autocross without touching a thing. Got a little push at Marina but I wasnt willing to change things becuase it was very well balanced on track. My autocross setup for Shoot out was to put fresh set of Good Years on the car. LOL!

The front torsions are 19 mm. Front sway is 21 mm. You will want to get shorter rear springs to get car a little lower. Soft springs and higher ride hieght in AX stresses the LSD. The LSD is definitely getting tired. I dont think you need to go TB just check clutch plates. Give the car a little tow out in front. the car was corner balanced when I had it. Shocks are nothing special. Boge up front and Koni Yellows in rear. I'd go with better shock if its in the budget.

With that car I'd stick with lightweight canti setup as the motor has a real tough time until its over 4750 RPM. Lighter canti setup spins up faster. Maybe even look for either a tall 1st gear or lower 2nd for ax if you keep this motor. I'd rebuild the motor to 2.8 for ax with more torque or better gearing you could consider 275 Hoosier setup. Its really lacking torque one needs to go fast off the slower turns.

Fuel starve? Never happened to me after we baffled the carbs? What kind of gas you using now? I also always ran the car near 1/2 tank as I wanted more weight up front so maybe I never had that issue because I ran with full tank but I know when LSD is slipping and it wasnt due to losing power. I had baseline for that LSD when it was new and the differnce was signficant towards the last few events.

This post has been edited by grantsfo: May 18 2012, 02:19 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:44 PM