Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GGR Alameda AX and question
Brad Roberts
post Oct 11 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

This ones for Jeroen...

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 11 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

The one I did had about 30% DNFs

If your going to be designing courses this is required reading.

Roger Johnson's book on AutoX design:

My Webpage

After you design the course Roger will also give you constructive comments on whether or not your design works.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 11 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #23

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2004, 10:55 PM)
My advice... SLOW DOWN. You dont have to set TTOD on your first pass. Run the course slowly the first TWO passes.

Yeah I think that, "drive slow", when I go out the first time, but I never seem to be able to slow myself down. I use to race sprints on velodrome as a cyclist so I think I have a sprinters mentality that is hard to shake.

I think next AX I'm going to ask for an instructor. It will force me to slow down.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 11 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #24

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 10 2004, 09:01 PM)
are you behind the GT?

KT

I'm the one behind the GT
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Oct 11 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #25

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 10 2004, 10:05 PM)
Our GTeener

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/girlboing.gif)

Yeay!

Nice picture of GTeener!

Thanks!

I did much better in the afternoon once my front sway bar was loosened. And I got a re-run once to keep my tires warm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (I learned that from Andrew).

~Gwen
+Quote Post
AndrewBlyholder
post Oct 11 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,791

Just thought I'd second the suggestions to walk and draw the course. If you see me between runs, I usually stay strapped in the car and study my course map on my clipboard, which I stuff behind the seat when I go out (it only occassionally flies around the cockpit during the run!) So the drawing is very useful to me. Making notes on it also helps me remember the things I've decided to do or worked out. Even if you threw the drawing away after doing it, it'd maintain it is still a very useful exercise because the mere process of creating it forces you to look at the layout critically and carefully (Are those salolm cones lined up? How far is that gate offset? Is that a long straight or a short one? etc.)

I also close my eyes and visualize my way around the whole course to work out where I want to place the car and what I want to do differently the next time out.

All these habits were all the more important at this event given the extra long course. I can't remember a longer course time in the last several years.

Andrew
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Oct 11 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #27

914 Girl

QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 11 2004, 01:57 PM)
Just thought I'd second the suggestions to walk and draw the course. If you see me between runs, I usually stay strapped in the car and study my course map on my clipboard, which I stuff behind the seat when I go out (it only occassionally flies around the cockpit during the run!) So the drawing is very useful to me. Making notes on it also helps me remember the things I've decided to do or worked out. Even if you threw the drawing away after doing it, it'd maintain it is still a very useful exercise because the mere process of creating it forces you to look at the layout critically and carefully (Are those salolm cones lined up? How far is that gate offset? Is that a long straight or a short one? etc.)

I also close my eyes and visualize my way around the whole course to work out where I want to place the car and what I want to do differently the next time out.

All these habits were all the more important at this event given the extra long course. I can't remember a longer course time in the last several years.

Andrew

And getting a lot of reruns helps you practice too. Line up behind a slower car and catch up to them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 11 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #28

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 11 2004, 01:57 PM)

Andrew

Great advice. Thanks! I currently sit in my 914 before runs just to remind me where everything is! I have so little seat time in the car I just spend time getting feel for pedals, shifter, etc. I really get screwed up becuase my daily driver has opposite shift pattern and I'm to the point where I dont even think about shifting in that car.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 11 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #29

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Here's a shot from the GGR photo gallery.
GGR PICS

KT

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 11 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #30

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 11 2004, 04:18 PM)
Here's a shot from the GGR photo gallery.
GGR PICS

KT

Oh yeah ...I'm a leaner too! Think thats an old two wheel habit.

and dang he got the Audi A4 dent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 11 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Just thought I'd second the suggestions to walk and draw the course.

Another point: Courses are never laid out exactly as they are on the design map. Walking and drawing the course is a great way to start etching the course in your mind, for that time during the day, when you can finally let it all hang out.

And you will never be able to let it all it all hang out unless the course becomes automatic and the driving steps to the forefront.

And don't forget to talk during the day with other drivers. You'll be surprised, but it always happens that someone will have figured out one of the corners before you.

Actually I think Nathan had a better line on one corner than I did, which I saw when I was running with him as instructor. Of course when I tried that line (flat out) I got off the normal track and into the marbles, dirt and goose poop and zip around I went.

Actually Nathan did an excellent job when I was riding with him. He made very few mistakes and was pushing his car to the limit. And that was around a very long and complicated course. Nice driving Nathan.

Now I’ve got to ride with Mr. T again and see how far he has progressed. Maybe in Fresno?

I think if either of these guys gets a set of Hoosiers, watch out.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 11 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #32

I do things...

Nathan and I have been battling for some time now.
He raised the bar by stepping up to V-racers.
Now I must make the next move. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

I'm looking at Yokohama A032R's racing tires.
Tread wear 60.
Saw them on a 911 at Sears sunday running well.
They are $180 each and are dual a/x and track tires.
A032R's

Randal, I am torn as to attending in Fresno.
Going only one day seems pointless. Going both days, and I am looking for trouble.

Thanks for the compliment. You're still my hero (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Geese? I think it was pelican. those piles were MASSIVE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 11 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #33

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

randal: thanks for riding with me and thanks for your encouragement.

trekkor: bring it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) and hurry up, too -- you'd better beat me quick before you put that heavy six in your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) !
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 11 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Man, all this good advice. It makes me wish I were an autocrosser.....
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Oct 12 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #35

914 Girl

QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Oct 11 2004, 08:55 PM)
Man, all this good advice. It makes me wish I were an autocrosser.....

Loser! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Where were you?
+Quote Post
Steve_7x
post Oct 12 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 2,503

1st of all - Kudo's to Andy for running the pants of his car an getting TTOD!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

As for suggestions... you have gotten some very good one - though I have never done the crouching thing - though it makes sense.

I am terrible at drawing maps so I forego what Andy does - and often I am okay without a map - but this past Saturday I wish I had one and had his discipline to use it the way he describes.

My #1 observation is that I think many autocrossers make the mistake of stop getting instruction - we think we got it etc... I believe it was last year when I gave a Bill Benz a ride in my blue 914 - he commented that I had lost the smoothness that had impressed him when I was driving in Bi. I thought I was smooth - but when I reflected on the run I realized I had lost an element that had made me competitive in Bi. This was after 20 years of autocrossing... I still learned something...

With that in mind - let's remember that the instruction is free! In fact there were instructors with very little to do this past Saturday. We would have been happy to ride and give suggestions. Get suggestions and ideas from different folks... one of them may give you the tip that allows all the cards to fall in place.

One other suggestion - I try to pre-visualize the course as I pull up in line... watch the cars that are running in front of you... remind yourself where the course goes and what you planned to do different on this run... not just one corner, but all of the areas you wanted to improve upon, etc...

When you run is done... immediately self-critique yourself... reflect back on what worked and what didn't, what you want to try differently, etc...

I have heard the comparison that Autocrossing is like Golf (!) - a lot of it is technique, comfort in controlling the tools, but a large portion is mental... confidence and staying calm and being able to reflect on what you did and work on making the improvements required. Re-read Andy's post and I believe you will see the mental part of the equation was very significant in his response... and has nothing to do with engines, and tires and suspension.

And again... do not ever hesitate to ask for instruction... there are plenty of driver/instructors that will sit with you and give you ideas, ride in the passenger seat etc...

Sorry for the long post...

Steve
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 12 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #37

I do things...

Excellant, Steve. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Dman
post Oct 13 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 311

Hi Grant, Andy, Nathan and the rest of you. Nathan what was you best time?

Sorry I haven't posted sooner I just had my ACL replaced in my left knee (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) . So am posting under the influence from a laptop on the couch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

I had fun on Saturday but was very challenged by all the shift points on the course. All the auto-x I have been to in the valley are 2nd gear blasts.

Andy got a buch of great shots with my camera, I'll sort those out and post those in a little bit.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 13 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #39

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(Dman @ Oct 13 2004, 08:36 AM)
Hi Grant, Andy, Nathan and the rest of you. Nathan what was you best time?

Sorry I haven't posted sooner I just had my ACL replaced in my left knee (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) . So am posting under the influence from a laptop on the couch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

I had fun on Saturday but was very challenged by all the shift points on the course. All the auto-x I have been to in the valley are 2nd gear blasts.

Andy got a buch of great shots with my camera, I'll sort those out and post those in a little bit.

I like this shot!

(IMG:http://www.dleong.org/2004/ax/ggrax8/images/PA090052.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dman
post Oct 13 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 311

That is a good shot! See how calm and relaxed I am behind the wheel! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:15 AM