Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My second challenge, Short legged. I need new seats!!!
Carlitos Way
post Oct 10 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #1

I did it MY WAY

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

So, the PO had corvette seats in the car that didn't work very well.. they were just wedged into the back pad... and since I'm a shorty (I'm only 5'7") I can't reach the pedals... So... are there any other seat options other than Renegade? I'm not exactly fond of spending $1000 to keep my butt in the car...

I don't mind after-market seats... Would almost prefer them.. as long as they look/feel good. If you have some installed in your car and can recommend what you have, please send pictures.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Oct 10 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Have you tried stock seats with the cushions pulled out for AX?

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
stevend
post Oct 10 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,333

for those of us who are vertically challanged, the corbeau's classic II's work find and are a bolt in and about $400 a pair. have a set in my car and they are comfortable and I fit dispite beening 5' 8'' and 200lbs.

sorry pics on the other computer. Do a search, we had this discussion not long ago.
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Oct 10 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #4

I did it MY WAY

$400 sounds very reasonable... I'll check 'em out. Thanks for your input. How hard were they to install?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 10 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #5

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

find some stock ghetto seats and send them to DR evil for the mexican reupholstery. i love mine. click the link in my sig (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Oct 10 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #6

I did it MY WAY

I thought about doing that, as I go to Mexico often... but I also wouldn't mind having some nicer seats... the 'vette seats I have are just sitting in the seat area without anything to hold them down = unsafe. NO point in upholstering some seats that I have to re-do everything on... so I'd like to buy more of a "bolt on" solution.

BUt yes, they do great work, especially for the money.
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Oct 10 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #7

I did it MY WAY

Speaking of Ghetto seats... how do you mount those? Is it safe to assume you need to have 914 rails/mounting hardware?
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Oct 13 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #8

I did it MY WAY

Does anyone have... or know where I can get some universal seat railings? I think I've decided to go with after-market seats, similar to these: Aftermarket seats

I'm wondering also if anyone knows if the seats will fit in the 914 without major customization... I guess I might have to drill through the floor pans which I'm not looking forward to... but I welcome any input you might have.

Carlos
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Oct 13 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,763

Check these out. $600 seats for $400. Bracket included, you should be able to bolt them in where ever they work best. I don't think those other ones will fit, too wide, will probably interfere with e-brake. 60lbs instead of 25lbs. You don't need reclining seats. They have red or blue, also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33701
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 13 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #10

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I have a pair of REALLY NICE stock seats for sale for about $450. They have been re-upholstered with German Vinyl.

They are sitting on my garage floor waiting for someone to buy tham and sit on them.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 13 2004, 01:11 PM
Post #11

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 13 2004, 11:53 AM)
I have a pair of REALLY NICE stock seats for sale for about $450. They have been re-upholstered in the US with German Vinyl.

They are sitting on my garage floor waiting for someone to buy tham and sit on them.

why does it matter where they were recovered?

<_<
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 13 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 13 2004, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 13 2004, 11:53 AM)
I have a pair of REALLY NICE stock seats for sale for about $450.  They have been re-upholstered in the US with German Vinyl.

why does it matter where they were recovered?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

It doesn't. Some people (myself not included) believe that work done here is better than work done elsewhere.

I shouldn't have written it like that - it was uncool. I'm sorry.
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Oct 13 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #13

I did it MY WAY

My concern with "stock seats" is that they seem to lack "support"... one good jolt around the corner and you end up on your passenger's lap, due to no side bolsters... So the challenge is to find a good, supportive seat that is not designed to be a race seat, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg... because if I lost either, I wouldn't be able to drive my 914!!!

Capice?

Carlos...
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 13 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #14

Caprice?

Don't think Caprice seats would be very good either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

Uh... you could get a harness which would help - I think Trekkor is running stock seats with harnesses.

Just a thought. Just puttin' it out there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Oct 13 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #15

I did it MY WAY

I didn't mean to come across as being unappreciative of the opinions of other users on the board. On the contrary, I actually posted because I wanted to hear the good, the bad, the ugly and the sad. I know this isn't supposed to be easy... but thankfully this is a wonderful resource for all of us "newbies" who are just getting started on our 914 journeys...

So... if I offended you by "shooting down" your ideas, that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to share what I was looking for, and it is only through the input of other members that I've been able to narrow down what I want and communicate it more effectively.

As far as "capice"... that was my feeble attempt at sounding italian.. It wasn't "caprice"...

C.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Oct 13 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(cmolina @ Oct 13 2004, 02:14 PM)
My concern with "stock seats" is that they seem to lack "support"...  one good jolt around the corner and you end up on your passenger's lap, due to no side bolsters...  So the challenge is to find a good, supportive seat that is not designed to be a race seat, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg...  because if I lost either, I wouldn't be able to drive my 914!!!

Capice?

Carlos...

I got it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'm considering getting rid of my stock seats for just the same reason. What did you think of the ones I suggested? It's difficult to find seats that don't look like race seats, but do the same job. I have heard both good and bad about the rennegade seats. Go to the resources section "seats for 914" is what you're looking for. $500-$800 is a lot, but, you get what you pay for.
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Oct 13 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #17

I did it MY WAY

My a$$ is too precious to slide around... but it just ain't precious enough for a pair of seats that cost almost as much as the car...

Renegade also requires rebuildable cores... I have no cores... what I have is a pair of old Corvette seats that weren't re-covered very well... and without seat rails so the car is NOT safe to drive right now. I really am eager to start drivign it... but like I say... my a$$ is too precious and I don't want to end up under a semi somewhere because the unexpected "eject" seat was activated with the brakes.

I've been looking on e-bay... some "slightly used" seats... considering Honda Preluda or Toyota celica/Supra seats from the early 90's... I think they would match OK... but there's still questions... and until I can get a specific measurement, I don't want to take that chance... especially with $200 in seats... plus almost as much to ship. There are some really interesting seats there... I was hoping someone had already gone through the exploration... but it seems I'm making the first waves in here.

C.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Oct 13 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #18

You've got two concerns. Width, and height. You don't want them too wide, you wont be able to use your emergency brake. Most seats are mounted pretty high compared to 914 seats, which are right on the deck. If you're short they might be OK, I don't know how much it would change the feel of the car. If they're too tall, you'd have to worry about hitting your head on the roof. I've got a pair of ratty old 914 seats I could sell you for what I paid for them, $100. You wouldn't have to worry about shipping, I'm in the valley. You'd just have to come and get them. There was a guy in San Jose last week that had three cores for free, but you'd have to go get them, and, I don't know if they're still available. I've heard storys from people who have had both good and bad experiences with the rennegade rebuilds. Some have held up, some haven't. I'd recomend DR. EVIL's reupholstry, and if that's not secure enough, put in a bar and a four point harness. Best I can do.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 13 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #19

I was just kiddin around. No offence taken.

The easiest cheapest option around is the Corbeau Forza racing seat, which will run you about $200 a side, and is a full racing seat with FIA certification and the like.

You can get 914 adaptors for them, although I have hard that the kit needs a little adjustment (with a drill) to make it all fit right.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Oct 13 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #20

Nevermind my offer. Stutgart46 has a really nice set of seats for $100. Go for them. Shipping from Texas shouldn't be too bad.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:26 PM