Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Install engine shelf
watsonrx13
post Oct 14 2004, 11:10 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

OK, I see your problem.

Always remember that these pieces are a starting point, that you can and will cut, bend and fit.

My question to you will be, are you going to replace the rear piece or just weld to it?

My recommendation would be to weld to, so if you go that route, then you'll need to cut the new piece to allow you to properly fit it around the ear.

After you cut, make sure you grind off the old engine shelf piece that's still attached to the ear and any other left over pieces.

You're having the same trouble fitting the piece around the ear that I had. My solution was to measure the space between the shelf and the ear, then bend the tabs back horizontal, as if there were no tabs. Now, using the old bend line, measure from there toward the the edge of the shelf, the distance of the space you originally were short, and bend a new tab. This will cause the tabs to be shorter in height. Does this make sense?

After you have completed this step, take some more pics so I can see what else you need to fit. If don't or can't take the pics and you want to continue, proceed with the following suggestions.

Once you have fit the piece around the ear, you should be able to tell if you still need to remove anything from the front section. There will be 2 areas, based on the pics, that you'll need to possibly remove some metal. The tab that goes against the firewall can be bent and/or cut to fit. The other section you might need to cut is the c-section, measure carefully.

Finally, you'll need to fit the curved section into the hell hole. This took the largest amount of my time, because this is a compound curve. I needed to flatten certain areas and bend other areas. I tested the fitting by looking from underneath the shelf into the hell hole. I also used the coat-hanger/bolt contraption to help hold the shelf into place while I welded. (Not only because I work on the car by myself, but I couldn't get any more hands into that section).

If you still need help, post the pics and I'll try to walk you through any recommendations.

Good luck.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Oct 14 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

are you saying i should keep this piece here and cut it from the new piece?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Oct 14 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Actually after closer examination it looks like it's missing the c-section, therefore, I would recommend that you remove it, then you can start postioning the new engine shelf in. FYI, to remove, carefully drill out the spot-welds.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:15 PM