Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tan Interior
markb
post Oct 13 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #1

914less :(

Group: Members
Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I did some parts swapping with bondo this last weekend and finally got a tan interior for my blue car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've spent the last couple of days cleaning and installing the tan stuff, and it looks really nice!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Now the only problem is I want to do the dash face and face of the center console in the tan basketweave to match the rest of the interior. Sooooo, my question is, does anybody have some tan door panels that has shitty backing, but decent basketweave? Being an honorary member of the CSOBOSC, I'd optimally like it inexpensive (read: dirt cheap). I also have parts to swap if you need something. Thanks mucho.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Oct 13 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #2

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Don't have any door panels, I just wanted to say what a great idea that is though. I have a tan interior too and would love to see how yours comes out if you find the material. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Oct 13 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

P.M. me. If you can wait a few weeks, I am getting my interior re-upholstered and could probably get the shop to save the old door panel skins.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 13 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,724

I really like this interior from one of the ebay cars posted here.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 13 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,724

Another view.

-Jeff

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 13 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

as i told you guys just a week ago, EASY has a parts-car with complete original white interior ...

last time i checked, it was still up for grabs,
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Oct 13 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I did this one back in 1979 . . . .

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 13 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

just guessing, but that car is a 72 or 73 without center console, Has the multi gauge (temp fuel) and 120 mph speedo.
correct me if im wrong, 72 only dash vents right?

hijack over
+Quote Post
markb
post Oct 13 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Hi_Fi_Guy, I'll be waiting with baited breath (jeeez, now I'll be tasting fish for weeks).

anderssj, that's exactly what I want to do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Andy, If I were up in the Bay area, I'd be looking real hard at that white interior. It would look really good with the Red Metallic planned for Dad's Car.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Oct 13 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #10

Dog is my copilot...

Yes, it's a "somewhat modified" 72 (4722912444) with 73 multigauge, volt and oil temp gauges where the ashtray used to be, modified 2.0 GA engine, SS trans, F/R bars, konis, etc).

I re-did the dash after a summer at Luke AFB AZ melted the glue behind the original black material. The car has been a slowly unfolding project ever since . . . .

Hope to go to 5-lug wheels soon . . . then maybe the M471 flares and stiffening kit? Maybe by the time the car turns 40 . . . .
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Oct 13 2004, 09:06 PM
Post #11

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I did the combo with door panels & carpet. Seat inserts in tan is next. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

....b

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smg914
post Oct 13 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

I really like the way the tan weave looks on the dash. The factory should have done this. Really looks sweet.

I swear, I'm not trying to be funny (maybe a little facetious) but, do you remember where you purchased the leather wrap on the steering wheel?
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Oct 14 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #13

Dog is my copilot...

I did the wheel cover back in 88 (I think), probably got the cover from automotion or performance products.

It was a standard "wheel skin" so you should be able to find one on their web site (http://www.wheelskins.com/).

I stitched it up a little differently than what's called for in the instructions. I used 2 needles in a cross-over pattern (similar to the factory cover) instead of a simple "overcast."

E-mail me if you want a close up picture.

Best,

Steve A-

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 11 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #14

I got the interior pieces from Hi_Fi_Guy yesterday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) They look so good I'm really going to hate cutting them up for the dash. The backpad pieces will work great for the center console, too. A big thanks to Hi_Fi_Guy for donating (I have to say it that way 'cause he won't let me pay him anything for them) his old interior. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Nov 11 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #15

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I forgot about this post but wanted to find out where the tan weave can be had for the dash. That's so cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) I want some (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

.....b
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 12 2004, 01:33 AM
Post #16

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

I'll see if I can get some tomarrow when I go to the shop. Why do people not change their dashes to tan also? It can be done.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 12 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #17

Tuetonic terror

You can purchase the 1975-76 style of basketweave in TAN from World Upholstery in CA. They sell the material by the yard.

They made up the new interior pieces for my 914 and the pre-sewn kit was a solid 9 out of 10 when compared to the original factory upholstery that I removed for MarkB.

They have the 1973-74 basketweave in black but not tan.

http://www.worlduph.com/

The website is a little lacking in the navigation department and their prices tend to be cheaper than what is shown on their site. Get someone on the phone and they will take very good care of you. I ordered seats, door panels, center armrest with map pocket, and back-pad. They gave me like a 15% or 20% discount from the list prices.

When I received the kit they had even thrown in an extra square yard of the plain tan vinyl, "just in case". I bought an electric staple gun, s spool of twine, & pop rivet tool at home depot along with some fiberglass mat and resin. It took about three days to remove and reinstall everything and that includes fiberglassing the areas of my back-pad that had water damage and were becoming multiple pieces. I had never done anything like this before and I can honestly say none of the work was hard but it did require concentration and a steady pace... get in a hurry and your bound to ruin something.

World Upholstery's pre-sewn kit is less expensive than purchasing just the raw materials from Performance Products!

Here are some pics of the completed interior. I am no pro-installer or anything but I think it turned out looking pretty great. Don't mind the ugly greenish-tan mats... they were there to protect the new carpet (thanks morphenspectra) from debris on the way to Phoenix Flight.

(IMG:http://www.hifidesign.com/studio_ftp/hifi_uploads/914%20interior/IMG_2846.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.hifidesign.com/studio_ftp/hifi_uploads/914%20interior/IMG_2847.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.hifidesign.com/studio_ftp/hifi_uploads/914%20interior/IMG_2848.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.hifidesign.com/studio_ftp/hifi_uploads/914%20interior/IMG_2849.JPG)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 12 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

That is a great link! Now I have a resource for those that don't want to ship there pieces all the way over here. I didn't see any prices, though. Nice looking interior. I like the matching door pockets.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 12 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #19

Tuetonic terror

I told you the site was difficult to navigate. Once you get someone on the phone they couldn't be nicer. Of course I ordered my kit long before you were running interiors for people so they were my only real option to get the tan basketweave and get it all pre-sewn. I'm sure they offer some sort of discount to pro-installers.

Upholstery catalog for 914s
http://www.worlduph.com/porsche6.htm

Original German Vinyl colors
http://www.worlduph.com/SAMPLES/porvin2.htm

Price list for 914s
http://www.worlduph.com/PRICING/mpl914.htm
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Nov 12 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #20

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

How difficult is it to upolster the doors and dash? Is this a task for a first timer or is it really better left to the pros?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 07:18 AM