Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> portable starter packs, all the same?
machina
post Oct 14 2004, 06:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Have been looking at getting one of those starter packs. Most are 400 amp starting power with 17 amp battery.

Don't want one with air compressor, flashlight, compass built in, just the power.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Oct 14 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #2

Mahna Mahna!

Group: Members
Member No.: 847

For kicks I tried one on my 944. I put in a discharged marine battery (barely moved the needle on my volt meter) and plugged one in. Now this was the handy dandy plug it in your cig lighter model (forget the brand my dad had bought it) and gave it a whirl. My starter went clunk once and that was it. I double checked my grounds and tried again. Nothing. Maybe this was a defective one who knows. My test was hardly scientific and after a shrug dad returned it to the FLAP he bought it from.

Mike D.
+Quote Post
kafermeister
post Oct 14 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 174

My dad started his 914 (1975 1.8 w/L-Jet) a few months ago with one. Didn't have a battery at all, car started and ran at least long enough to move it out of the garage. Didn't push our luck by driving it arround the yard.

I can check what kind it was if anyone is interested.

Rick
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Oct 14 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #4

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I think that the problem that Mike D. had was the discharged marine battery. Prolly sucking all the juice before it got to the starter. I bet if you hadn't of hooked up the bat it should have started.

sr
+Quote Post
bondo
post Oct 14 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #5

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

They are NOT all the same.. the VAST majority of them are only intended to recharge your current battery enough to get a start, and depend on having a good battery that's just dead.. and they take a while to do the charging, even longer with the cig lighter plug. The only one I know of that has the power to actually start a car by itself is the "Secure Start" which uses Bolder TMF batteries.. very advanced technology. I don't know if it is still available.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Oct 14 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #6

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Oh, and a battery that barely moves the voltmeter is a bad battery.. Any time a lead acid battery gets discharged below about 10 volts, damage is being done.. the longer it stays low, the more damage. If you can get a battery that dead to take a charge, it won't have anywhere near the performance it had before.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:21 PM