Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT- Do You Tip at Sonic?
seanery
post Oct 15 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #1

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Went to Sonic for the first time and didn't know if it was a tipping place or not.
Do you tip at Sonic?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
ematulac
post Oct 15 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #21

914 addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,382

QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 15 2004, 12:55 PM)
If they serve ya...yes...
Tip jar out at the front...yer choice....
Gal has big boobs.....hell yes.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

That's how I do it.

I never tipped at Sonic. You do order sitting down (in your car) at the Sonic I used to go to, but I never felt the urge to tip them 'cause it still felt like a fast food joint.

Now that I think about it, I probably will tip them next time, since they do come over and serve you.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 15 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Oct 15 2004, 12:24 PM)
If the service is outstanding

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) i never tip because "i have to" and i don't listen to that "always 20%" crap either.
i'm from europe. people over there don't tip unless the service was exceptional. no-one expects to be tipped either. they make enough money, they don't need the tips to survive.

this whole tipping thing pisses me off, actually.
you're doing your job and on top of your salery, you're expecting *me* to give you extra money for nothing?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Oct 15 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #23

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

The Sonics here.. they serve you in your car... usually a cute girl on roller skates. They bring your order... give you straws, a couple of mints... and will bring you something else if you need it (more ketchup extra napkins, etc.). Of course you should tip of served this way.

If you walk up to the window and order, then no. Would you tip walking up to the counter at Burger King?
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 15 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #24

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

to you non-tippers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

you realise that waiters/waitresses in sit-down restaurants (not sonic/burger king) in america make $2.13/hour without tips, right? TIP YOU CHEAPIES!!
+Quote Post
bondo
post Oct 15 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #25

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 15 2004, 01:36 PM)
to you non-tippers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

you realise that waiters/waitresses in sit-down restaurants (not sonic/burger king) in america make $2.13/hour without tips, right? TIP YOU CHEAPIES!!

And doesn't the IRS assume they get tips and tax accordingly?
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Oct 15 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #26

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

I realize that waiters/waitresses don't make that much, but they knew that when they took the job. If they don't like it, find something else. I went to school for 5 years to get a decent paying job.

Unfortunately, I have crumbled under the pressure of society, and I usually do tip, unless the service is poor, then no tip! In fact, I'm starting to feel guilty if I don't tip. I still don't agree with it though!
+Quote Post
anthony
post Oct 15 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #27

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

that "always 20%" crap either.

I like the system in Europe as well but that's not a reason not to tip in the US.

I just think tipping overall has gotten out of hand. A tip used to be 10%, and then it went to 15%, and now lots of people are talking 20%. I don't understand why the percentage needs to keep going up. Food prices keep going up and the amount tipped keeps going up. If servers aren't making enough then they should be paid more salary by employers.

I also don't like the fact that a tip jar has popped up everywhere.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Oct 15 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #28

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 12:10 PM)

this whole tipping thing pisses me off, actually.
you're doing your job and on top of your salery, you're expecting *me* to give you extra money for nothing?

TIP TIP TIP
My wife is a waitress at a nice restuarant in a small resort area. If it wasn't for the tips it would be a crappy low paying job but insead it is a semi-crappy ok paying job. Do you really think that somebody would kiss your ass like a good waiter/waitress does if they were not expecting something for their service.

As far as tip jars go there is a place for them. I used to own a coffee shop and yes baristas are doing a service- making you a good coffee. If your $4 drink sucks don't tip if it is made correctly throw something in the jar. Should 7-11 have a tip jar, I don't think so.

sr
+Quote Post
SGB
post Oct 15 2004, 03:09 PM
Post #29

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Food service work sucks. It ain't no sit down job. How many people WANT to spend their life doing that crap? And it is critical to society, too. If people didn't do the shit jobs for you, you would have to do 'em yourself (uh, is this 914 content?). I tip well whenever it seems deserved. Not for "exceptional service", just willingness to do the service successfully and without negative attitude. I used to be on that end of the tip chain, and a couple of extra bucks had a much more significant use (like paying electricity) for me than for the people I was serving, I think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 15 2004, 03:10 PM
Post #30

Resident German

QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 15 2004, 01:59 PM)
If it wasn't for the tips it would be a crappy low paying job but insead it is a semi-crappy ok paying job. Do you really think that somebody would kiss your ass like a good waiter/waitress does if they were not expecting something for their service.

and why does that have to be *my* problem?
shouldn't you be kicking her employers ass instead for not paying her the money she's entitled to! i'm sure she works just as hard as anybody else, but yet you seem to be fine with the fact that her boss doesn't give her good money for her work and you expect me (the customer) to tip the difference ...

i don't get it ...

Do you really think that somebody would kiss your ass like a good waiter/waitress does if they were not expecting something for their service.

isn't that their job? what am i missing here? isn't a waitress supposed to serve me at a restaurant? why do i have to tip her for doing her job? no-one tips me for sitting in front of the computer 12 hours a day, and guess what, i don't expect anyone to do so either ...

i still don't get it ...
+Quote Post
charlesmac
post Oct 15 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,264

i'm too young to remember the 50's car hop type places. did people tip those waitresses?
i consider sonic a fast food place so i don't tip. Some of my students that work at our local sonic give me crap about it. In a sit down, get served establishment, i tip according to the service.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Oct 15 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #32

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

What's the diff between a canoe and a Canadian?????

Canoes WILL TIP..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Oct 15 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #33

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Ok Andy here is my take on your confusion: This is the system that is in place now. Waitstaff get paid very little per hour because they make up the dif with tips. The restuarant would have to up there prices by 15% across the board and then pass this on the the waitstaff. Do you think that will happen. NO! So next time you don't tip that nice waitperson think about that teener sitting in the garage waiting for parts that won't come because some cheapskate didn't tip.

And for all of you out there saying "well get a better paying job" or "don't people wait tables while there in college or trying to make it as an actor". Not always true. My wife did it so that we could raise our own kids and keep them out of day care. Sure it is a sacrifice but I don't want somebody spending more time with my children than me and my wife. Sure when the kids are in school she will make a career change but for now it works.

End rant

sr
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 15 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #34

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 01:10 PM)
i still don't get it ...

it's a strange, illogical, particularly american institution. however, the government sets the minimum wage of waiters/waitresses (and others for whom tipping is a social institution) LOWER than the standard minimum wage. now, technically, if they don't make the higher (normal) minimum wage after tips, their boss has to pitch in for those hours to make the normal minimum wage. but this is still lower than they deserve to be payed. it's a social contract, essentially. and it's one little american detail that i like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 15 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 15 2004, 02:30 PM)
now, technically, if they don't make the higher (normal) minimum wage after tips, their boss has to pitch in for those hours to make the normal minimum wage.  but this is still lower than they deserve to be payed.  it's a social contract, essentially.  and it's one little american detail that i like  :flag1:

Don't forget that, in sitdown resturants, waiters/waitresses typically share their tips with buspeople, cooks, etc.
+Quote Post
PorscheTom
post Oct 15 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #36

Will work for an Avatar.

Member No.: 2,057

What's a Sonic?

Hey! my 100th post!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Glad it was a worthwhile one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 15 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #37

Resident German

QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 15 2004, 02:22 PM)
because some cheapskate didn't tip.

so, you're trying to tell me that, for example:

if Microsoft decided tomorrow that all their programmers are now only going to get minimum wage (or less) and next time you go to CompUSA to pick up some software, you would gladly give that programmer (that's standing next to the shelf with a tip-jar) a big 20% tip because the poor guy doesn't make good money anymore.
you're trying to tell me you wouldn't blame it on Microsoft, but instead think it's perfectly normal and simply give away your money because the guy paid some much attention to detail when he programmed that software ...

do you tip at the post-office? and if not, why not? aren't they providing a service to you as well?
do you tip the policeman that just gave you a speeding ticket? he was doing a good job as well ...

+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 15 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 04:24 PM)
if Microsoft decided tomorrow that all their programmers are now only going to get minimum wage (or less) and next time you go to CompUSA to pick up some software, you would gladly give that programmer (that's standing next to the shelf with a tip-jar) a big 20% tip because the poor guy doesn't make good money anymore.
you're trying to tell me you wouldn't blame it on Microsoft, but instead think it's perfectly normal and simply give away your money because the guy paid some much attention to detail when he programmed that software ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)  Andy

At Microsoft, and the high tech industry as a whole, rewards for work well done come in the form of bonuses, profit sharing, and stock options. That is on top of the extremely good pay.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Oct 15 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Mike... please change your avatar. It's scarey...
You almost look intelligent in that pic (and we all know ya aint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 15 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #40

Resident German

QUOTE(scruz914 @ Oct 15 2004, 04:29 PM)
At Microsoft, and the high tech industry as a whole, rewards for work well done come in the form of bonuses, profit sharing, and stock options. That is on top of the extremely good pay.

i know, that's why i said "what if", i had hoped you had some imagination ...

my point is simple, why do you blame the customer and not the employer for low wages???

i don't get it ...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:46 PM