Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT- Do You Tip at Sonic?
scruz914
post Oct 15 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 04:36 PM)
my point is simple, why do you blame the customer and not the employer for low wages???

i don't get it ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy

Well, that is not what I am saying. Good service = Good tips. Think of it as you pay the resturant for the meal, you pay (tip) the waitperson for the service. The blame for poor pay in this scenario goes to the waitperson.

Unfortunately it is the standard that has taken hold in the US.

-Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Oct 15 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #42

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 04:36 PM)

my point is simple, why do you blame the customer and not the employer for low wages???

i don't get it ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy

Here's my take on it.. the only reason they get such low pay is because people DO tip. If they didn't people would quit, and wages would go up. But as it is, because of tips, the people who serve you consider the pay good enough to work there. Because this system is in place (doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, it's in place) if you choose not to tip, whomever served you got paid less while they were serving you. If the service while they were serving you was poor, it seems justified to withhold a tip, since the system gives you that power. Perhaps that's the whole purpose of the system?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 15 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #43

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I've got a friend who works at a car wash... He gets a nice steady pay check, and about 5 to 15 bucks in tips every day... (tips are added together and devided at ends of shifts)
Plus he gets his minimum wage...

Me, I work at taco bell... I work in the back doin the grunt work (food prep... not food make... there Is a diff...) I get min wage, but I dont get tips.. Neither does anyone else in the store (cept a couple at register when people force them to take tips... wierd..)

I went to Sonic last night in the teener with my dad, Scott C. came too.
We sat down and didnt tip...

Andrew
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 15 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #44

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 15 2004, 05:17 PM)
since the system gives you that power. Perhaps that's the whole purpose of the system?

now i know why waitresses in germany are always grumpy.

they get a real salary!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 15 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 05:48 PM)

they get a real salary!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  Andy

Hmmm. That might be it. Bummer when you are in a nice Beer Garden and the waitress acts like she doesn't want to be there. Maybe we should tip them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Oct 15 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #46

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sure I tip. Here's why:

1. Because I can-what is just a few cents to me is a big deal for a high school kid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

2. Because they always say "neat car" which strokes my ego and tickles the wife. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

3. Too few kids work these days. I appreciate Sonic. Wife and I take the teener out in the evening to Sconic to park, drink a soda, and TALK. Its a cheap date that we do two or three times a week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

The kids know us, treat us well, so yes I tip. To them I am a valued regular, to me they are an escape to the drive in days from my nearly forgotten youth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Oh yes, it is a heck of a lot of fun watching them try to deliver food on roller skates with out falling or dropping items.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 15 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #47

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 15 2004, 05:17 PM)
since the system gives you that power. Perhaps that's the whole purpose of the system?

they get a real salary!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Andy

That is the point of the tipping system, to get good service.

Can you imagine if it was a union wage resturant..."u's gets da food when I's done my break bub"

Opps, I don't mean to offend any union types.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

We often go to a buffet type place near here, all the waiter does is refill the drinks. I tip just because of the mess my kids make.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 16 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #48

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 04:48 PM)

they get a real salary!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  Andy

Andy,

I thought there was a service charge automatically included in the food price in German restaurants? (Wow, it's been a long time since I lived in Germany.) As I remember most people would let the waiter keep the coin change. If and when you could ever get the waiter to deliver and collect the bill! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Or am I confusing that with the built in tax (which I sort of liked since its let you quickly calculate your total cost)?
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 16 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #49

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Oh, and by the way, concerning this whole tipping controversy, you have to remember that we're all a bunch of cheap-ass 914 owners! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Oct 16 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #50

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

I'm going to go to Sonic today with my wife and Hunter.

I will give the server a tip!
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 16 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #51

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 15 2004, 12:24 PM)

If you walk up to the window and order, then no. Would you tip walking up to the counter at Burger King?

Wou even GO to Burger King? The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Oct 16 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #52

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I always tip at Sonic but know plenty who do not. Even though it is fast food they do bring it to your car. In most states the employer can get away with paying carhops HALF of minimum wage by calling them waiters/waitresses so they really do need the tips.

Plus it is good karma

Also, you don't want the carhops talking about the cheap guy in the Porsche... that never goes over well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 16 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #53

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

I'll try to keep the rant to a minimum: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I worked for many years as a cook in upscale restaraunts preparing ultra-gourmet meals that , believe me, your waiter had no part in preparing, let alone knew what was in it.

Hmmm, let's see, I was making $10 an hour and they were taking home $300 a night in tips for carrying a plate across the room. I had to get out of that routine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Plus they would only work 5-6 hours while I'm doing a 8-9er.

Today I tip, my wife always wants to and tips more than I do.

I'll invent the table side tip-o-meter:
It starts at 0% and as the waitstaff provides quality service it rises. They can watch the meter and make an effort to recieve a higher tip! If the service is really bad, they pay me!

When I am sitting there, waiting for water, a menu, my bread, my dressing, my check, whatever. I am not happy.

I always get a kick out of the server who will comp a meal in order to compemsate for their weak service as a lame attempt to satisfy me, burning their employer , trying to get that tip up anyway?

T.I.P.S. ( to insure prompt/proper service )
no service - no tip.

That's what goes through my head. I still tip 15-20% anyway.

Thanks, come again!

KT
+Quote Post
Meredith
post Oct 16 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 1,414

I tip at most places. I guess since I considered Sonic a fast food place it didn't occur to me to tip them. But I always tip very well at sit-down restaurants, sandwich shops and the Starbucks by my house (if only because they know what type of drink I'll get just by judging the weather, and start making it before I even order. They haven't been wrong yet!).

Mer
+Quote Post
Kevin@ojai.net
post Oct 16 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 899

Good service=Good tips
Bad service=bad tips

Went to a hole in the wall burrito place today, told the guy to make my burrito extra spicy. I got my food fast and it was damn good, so I tossed a buck in the tip jar.

Went to a breakfast place last week... Lousy service. Coffee kept running out, water kept running out, took about 10 min before my order got taken, and I saw my food sitting on the counter waiting for delivery for about 5 min. when I got it it was cold. So I only left $.02.

I'm heading out in a few min. If I get my drinks fast I'll throw down a buck or 2, if not no tip...

I hope all of you stop the cycle of tipping just "because." If you get crap service don't leave a tip.

-Kevin
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Oct 16 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #56

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

At "real" restaurants... yes.

At most fast food restaurants... no.

Buffets... if the waitress brings me coffee or diet coke, yes. If I have to go get my drinks, and all she brings me is the check - nope.

At Sonic and A&W drive-ins... yes. Someone brings me the food. It's not a huge tip, but it's something.

My off-topic post for the day. I'm tired. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Oct 17 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #57

Donkey Member

Member No.: 1,531

Andy, go ahead and tip. It's not like you work for tips for a living (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

In addition to all of the reasons stated to tip in the USA, I'll add this truth.

The IRS taxes every DIRECTLY TIPPED (CA) employee 8% of his/hers GROSS SALES!

So if you don't tip at least 8%, that server will be paying out of their pocket to have served you whether the service was good or bad.

To clarify any doubts about the matter, please refer to restaurant scene in Reservoir Dogs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 17 2004, 07:51 AM
Post #58

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2004, 04:48 PM)
they get a real salary!

i still clearly recall the phrase ,,die Bedienung ist inbegriffen ..."

(Service is included.)

typically to the tune of 15% or more ...

recently (in this country) a party of several went to a restaurant with "18% service will be added to parties of (less than they had) or more" but they claimed they got bad service anyway, and refused to pay - whereupon they were arrested for theft !
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Oct 17 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #59

Canadian Member

Member No.: 153

Across the (Ontario) border in Quebec, if you go to a bar and don't tip at least 15% per round, the beer stops coming. Waitresses over there have a great memory and will remember you weeks later. Most seem to expect 25% in night clubs or the service drops right off.
What I do in these cases is leave the tips in an ashtray on the middle of the table and tell the waitress, "it's all hers when we leave if the service stays good all night" "or when her shift ends"! It works well and we seldom leave less than 20% in theses situations. (even if we are Canadian and own canoes!)
McD's - Burger King etc - we don't have tip jars at the counter here yet and I don't know if I would leave one in that type of restuarant.
Sit down or drive up where I am served by a waiter or waitress, 10% if the service is bad but up to 25% if the service is excellent. (The service is usually excellent at Hooters) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Oct 17 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #60

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

I'm still concerned with the guy with the million pennies. Has anyone calculated weight? Spot price on copper market?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:20 PM