Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

32 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fix a six, Like Neil Young says...rust is an insomniac
Speedo
post Oct 9 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,170
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Now to close it upAttached Image
Basically I peeled the onion back to get accessAttached Image
And now I am folding the layers backAttached Image
This is much better than What I started withAttached Image
Much straighter too...this corner was wacked when I startedAttached Image
Now I need to clean up the top side from inside the longitudinal, and then close up the jackpoint.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 29 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #102

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Lars sent me this, he was busy over the weekend harvesting metal from his parts car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Love this pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Oct 29 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #103

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nominate this picture for the next car of the month. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Nov 11 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #104

I sent my parts sacrificed from the green car (still feel bad about that) to the sandblaster to clean up. A week later I am here...
Attached Image
Attached Image
I started prepping the parts to get ready to splice in. Unfortunately some of my replacement parts need work before they get to be replaced. Figured the best way to get at this left rear corner is to take it apart.
Attached Image
What a PIA...
Attached Image
Finally
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Nov 11 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #105

Once the inner and outer fender corners are separated I can clean them up. Here...my work is cut out for me...
Attached Image
Finally decided to get a self darkening welding helmet after borrowing a friend to do some welder-comparisons yesterday. So today there will be no welding...just more prep. Steering rack cover pan is torqued and needs to be massaged back. My 6 didn't have one and at least the donor car had this to offer up.
Attached Image
Attention now goes to the big chunk I scavenged on the rear of the drivers fender. I wasn't looking forward to figuring out how to...much less diassembling it.
I found this to be very complex...not much forsight on the part of Porsche as to how these fenders could be easily (much less realistically ) replaced.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Speedo
post Nov 11 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #106

I hate seam sealer. That stuff is thick, and the sandblaster didn't dent it. I had to dig it out with various sharp implements of destruction to get to the spot welds I needed to access. Slowly if emerges
Attached Image
It's like playing chess in 3D...just doesn't want to come apart. Can't force it for fear of damaging the panel I need..finally
Attached Image
And now as a result of going slowly and peeling back the layers of the onion, I know know how this all needs to go back together
Attached Image
It is going to be easier to get the bad part of the drivers fender removed now I know the assembly process...but it is still going to be time consuming to dig out the seam sealer to find the spot welds to dril out. Onward... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 11 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #107

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Amazing work!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) I love to see these cars being saved and they all have their own stories to tell as they get taken apart to be restored.

I wish we had a count of how many have been saved in the database.
+Quote Post
Matt Monson
post Nov 16 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 4,562

Lars,
You are a nut job. It is part of why I like you. Keep up the good work. And when you have a spare moment come down and start cutting and welding one of my stillborn projects. I'm a real 914 guy. Neither of mine has been started in over 2 years...

Regards,

Matt
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Dec 19 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #109

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 20 2013, 09:31 AM
Post #110

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) what's new lars? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Mar 16 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

Hi Lars,

I found your thread so get updating now.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 16 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #112

914 Guru

Lars has been busy finishing his other car...

See here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...conversion.html

It's almost done, so 914 is next up I believe. I will alert him that he is neglecting us 914 folks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ferg
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Mar 17 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #113

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2014, 08:13 PM) *

See here:

It's almost done, so 914 is next up I believe. I will alert him that he is neglecting us 914 folks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ferg

Lars and I have been communicating for some time about his projects and parts. We just exchanged emails over the weekend and figured this may motivate him to update his thread over here. I know he likes to hang over on the Pelican site.
Now that Andy and Marv are almost done with their cars I'm trying to drag Lars back here so we have another car to watch being restored. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Mar 17 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #114

Ok, ok...
I am done (pretty much) with the 71 targa softie conversion. It came back from the painter (way late...like 11 months) and I had picked up the 6 in the interim. The six was already on the rotisserie and the welding and grinding had to stop when the freshly painted car next to it came back home. Now that 71 car is mobile and I can move it to re-start working on the 6. I have more than enough sheet metal to finish the 6, I just need to get motivated after being focused else-where for a year. I have a lot of metal work to do before I commit to what engine goes back in. I have a few choices ranging from 2.0 MFI 911 S to 3.0 twin plug MFI engine. Really not sure what will happen there. Glad for Luke and Ferg to bust my chops to get this moving again...but I have been busy over on "the other side " of the Porsche world.
Cut me a month slack and then get on me.

Speedo

QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 17 2014, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2014, 08:13 PM) *

See here:

Ferg

Lars and I have been communicating for some time about his projects and parts. We just exchanged emails over the weekend and figured this may motivate him to update his thread over here. I know he likes to hang over on the Pelican site.
Now that Andy and Marv are almost done with their cars I'm trying to drag Lars back here so we have another car to watch being restored. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 17 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #115

914 Guru

I'll cut u a little slack as long as we are riding in that time.
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Sep 22 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #116

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 17 2014, 06:53 PM) *

I'll cut u a little slack as long as we are riding in that time.

I have been riding a ton...although not with big Mike, and cleaning up room in the shop, and sending the soft window targa to storage. Now I have room, and no excuses. I like building engines, and I am behind. The 6 came with it's 2.0 (pickled) and a supposed 2.7 RS spec engine with carbs. I trust the PO on the RS spec side, but as it was a 90s build and I couldn't get it to run right on the webers...I tore it apart to see exactly what was inside. It was built on a 911/81 73.5 CIS case. It had some machining done to the case, heads etc so it was a built engine. The CIS injector sleeves had been machined and plugged. turns out the plugs were the same sizes as the MFI injectors. Well, if the case was set up, and the heads were set up, what are the cams and pistons? Well the pistons are Mahle 90mm 8.5 cr so they are correct, and the cams are S cams, but without the MFI pump drive on the left side. Turns out I have an extra left side S MFI drive cam in my stash (not sure where that came from) so I can swap out the left side if I want to run MFI...hmmm. So right about when I started thinking about building the engine back up to be a true 2.7 RS spec engine with the correct MFI (as I have the MFI induction)...I stumbled across a fresh 2.7 MFI RS spec engine that was built and pickled back in 1994 and never fired up. It was complete except for the right induction, but I have an extra. So I guess it was meant to be. The 6 is going to get a 2.7 RS spec MFI engine. I'm sure someone has done this before, but in the interest in making only original mistakes...if you have, please feel free to warn me about the shortcomings.
I will finish the induction on RS spec engine number one, the hurry up and complete the build on RS spec engine number two. Then with the engines out of the way, my focus is on the 6. I have all the replacement steel. Just have to get back into the measure-cut-fit-trim-weld mode. I'll post pics of the engines.
Kind of excited, as I have never personally seen a 6 run an MFI engine.

Speedo
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Sep 22 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #117

Hi Lars,

How's things ?
It's about time the 6 got some loving.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Sep 23 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #118

914 Guru

Time for some Fall driving Lars, sent you an email. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Got a new SC I should test out on your road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Sep 24 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #119

QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 23 2014, 10:59 AM) *

Time for some Fall driving Lars, sent you an email. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Got a new SC I should test out on your road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Yeah,
You should do that...all the sheriffs up here retired, and with all the budget cuts, they haven't been replaced. You should be good to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

See you in a few minutes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Sep 25 2014, 06:31 AM
Post #120

Member No.: 17,743

"Love this pic "
Not to hijack, but have you climbed that rock in the background?
+Quote Post

32 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:36 AM