Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

32 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fix a six, Like Neil Young says...rust is an insomniac
Speedo
post Apr 17 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #221

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,170
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

And the repairs...
and totally repairedAttached Image
This needs to be dialed in for positioning on the longitudinal.

And done Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 18 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #222

Mounting question for the battery support. I have no reason to believe the support I have is aftermarket. It is now repaired and ready to be reinstalled. There are three sides to it...downhill, engine side and uphill. The downhill and engine side flanges are pointing away from the support. The uphill side points into the support. I would think this should also point away? In fact it looks that the correct way to mount the tray would be to weld the tray to the support, then weld the combination to the longitudinal. With this flange pointing inside, the access to weld this flange would be very limited. If I welded the support first to the longitudinal, then access to weld the support to the underside of the tray would be very limited. I cannot tell from the RD website and picture of the support which way that uphill flange points...inside or outside. I am inclined to reverse the flange direction and have it point away from the support. Comments?
This picture is looking down at the inside of the support, showing the uphill flange pointing "in".Attached Image
+Quote Post
914fahrer
post Apr 18 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #223

Member No.: 18,115
Region Association: Germany

Hello,
I only replace my Tray and drill a few holes for welding into the Tray ,this works fine .
Biggest problem is the rust protection after welding in this Area.I use a little brush first.

Attached Image

Ralf
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 18 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #224

914fahrer,
Thanks for the picture and suggestion...makes sense. I am thinking now that my battery support and tray were either modified (repaired) or replaced. The tray itself was poorly mig welded underneath to the support. And the same person repeated the poor welding when the tray was welded to the inner wheel house. I believe the factory spot welded the tray to the inner wheel house as well as put a small bead on both ends...which I will also do.
I then called Peter at RD to ask if the "uphill" flange on my repaired battery support was pointing the wrong direction...in (to the left). He kindly sent me some pics of a factory longitudinal with the support, but without the battery tray. Voila! looking down into the support, the "uphill" flange did indeed point to the left.
I then watched the RD battery support install on Youtube. Adam did spotweld the left and facing sides of the support, but as he had already assembled the tray to the support, he did not weld the uphill, flange as it was inside the support. He aslo did both spotweld the rear lip of the tray, and put a bead on both ends to connect it to the inner wheel house.
My plan is to clecoe the tray to the support and line everything up. Once satisfied with the position on the long, I will spotweld the left and engine facing flanges. Then I will remove the clecoes and the tray, so I can weld a bead on the "uphill" flange inside the support. Finally I will spotweld the tray to the support, and the tray to the wheelhouse.
Comments are welcome...criticism too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 20 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #225

So the long repair is in place. I have posted some questions recently, with zero responses. I have come to realize that getting a response from this forum...involves beer, and I am ok with that...but you need to come pick up the beer. Not the case with other forums I associate with...but I am ok. So the damage to the hell hole is repaired and I am working on the battery support/tray and shelf. Is this the factory tie down for the battery? This is terrible.
Attached ImageAttached Image Attached Image
I am preparing the refurbished support to mate with the tray Ferg graciously handed me Attached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 20 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #226

Here is the long repair Attached Image
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Apr 21 2016, 07:08 AM
Post #227

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

Hi Lars,

The repair looks good. That battery hold down is not factory. The battery is held in place by some tabs located on the upper part of the battery tray then you bolt down a clamp (P315) to the most inner (engine side) through the upper tray. That's all you get unless you go aftermarket.

What other questions do you have as I may have the answer for you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 21 2016, 10:20 AM
Post #228

Thanks Luke! I actually already have the P315! Funny, it looks like the piece of steel that holds the floorboards down in a 911. I ordered all my steel from RD a while back, and guess I had the premonition to order that part! So I need to remove the cruelly welded after market hold-down before I do anything else. What a disaster.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Apr 21 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #229

QUOTE(Speedo @ Apr 21 2016, 09:20 AM) *

Thanks Luke! I actually already have the P315! Funny, it looks like the piece of steel that holds the floorboards down in a 911. I ordered all my steel from RD a while back, and guess I had the premonition to order that part! So I need to remove the cruelly welded after market hold-down before I do anything else. What a disaster.

Yup, cut this part off and grind smooth..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 22 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #230

Yessir...tomorrow. Will report back.
Need to guilt Mike and Brant (skinny man) into coming up to survey the damage. Luke...you should come up too!
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Apr 23 2016, 06:30 AM
Post #231

QUOTE(Speedo @ Apr 22 2016, 05:57 PM) *

Yessir...tomorrow. Will report back.
Need to guilt Mike and Brant (skinny man) into coming up to survey the damage. Luke...you should come up too!

Don't tempt me... I could use a vaca. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

I found some nos sheet metal at the Hershey swap meet but I'm still looking for the right long section to start on my car. I have a few inquiries out so see how that turns up. Thinking of going to the Stoddard meet also.

Keep posting progress pics.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 30 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #232

So I see most of the trays have a small bead on both ends of the tray, welding the tray to the inner wheel house. This diagram shows the four spot welds across the back also. These spot welds are coincident with the spot welds that were used to weld the back support to the tray. Should I add four spot welds back there also or are the beads on the end sufficient?

QUOTE(914fahrer @ Apr 18 2016, 08:35 AM) *

Hello,
I only replace my Tray and drill a few holes for welding into the Tray ,this works fine .
Biggest problem is the rust protection after welding in this Area.I use a little brush first.

Attached Image

Ralf
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 30 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #233

You guys must all be out playing golf. Too busy drinking beer and playing a game you will never get better at...instead of helping a "newbie" brother soldiering on in good faith. Oh well, at least the weather here is not conducive to golf...even if I were playing with an orange soccer ball, I would lose it. Attached Image Attached Image
Thank god my dog has a tail...like in the second picture or I might have lost her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
So I will continue without help looking over my shoulder...fine.
Oh yeah...BTW, tomorrow is May first and the snow is supposed to stop by Tuesday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 30 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #234

You guys have seen this a thousand time so I am going to skip the narrative. I am done with SEM weld through primer. Product sucks and I have wasted a lot of cans do to clogging. Sherwin Williams distributor is sorry, noting that they have received lots of complaints about the issue. Seems the paint congeals and screws up the nozzle. Anyway done with them. This is the new primer...and it works well. Attached Image Small repair on the top of the suspension tower...Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 30 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #235

Support and battery tray.Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=553
235]

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 30 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #236

The factory didn't weld in that uphill flange...but I decided to do it, we are tight except for the beads and spot to the inner wheelhouse. I need to roll the car on the rotisserie to get a good angle for those...tomorrow. Spot welded, flappered and primed.Attached ImageAttached Image
I want to get this engine compartment/hell hole done so that I can close up the quarter panel and finish the sail and lockpost repair. I am tired of this side of the car.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post May 1 2016, 05:59 AM
Post #237

Hi Lars,

The battery tray install looks good. The engine shelf install is pretty straight forward.
If you have time here's a install video from RD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGf9yaFHEk

BTW, you can keep all that snow. We had a mild winter here which was nice and long overdue.

Take care,

Luke
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 1 2016, 06:51 AM
Post #238

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) That is the only way to fix these cars IMHO; do it once, do it right, and never have to worry about it again.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Speedo
post May 1 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #239

Right side engine shelf. Install looks basic. Thanks for the video link. When I removed my crusty shelf and battery box, I seem to remember the shelf had to come off first...meaning it was installed after the battery box support. But we saw how hacked up the whole battery box structure was. Does it matter which gets installed first or second? The support or the shelf. I had just planned to grind down the left corner bead weld on the support and lay the shelf over it.
+Quote Post
Speedo
post May 1 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #240

Welded to back of the tray...two end beads and two interior spots. Attached Image
Attached Image
Time to fit the shelf. Like the video says...needs to be massaged a bit while being fitted. This look to be positioned ok? Attached ImageAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

32 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:48 PM