Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holy crap! It lives!
skline
post Oct 16 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

October 16th, 11:15 AM, life breathes from the Chalon! Wow, what a rush, the sound of a small block chevy on its first run is one hell of an adreneline rush. It is extremely responsive however it is no where near dialed in yet. But it does sound very sweet. Joe is on his way over now to help me get the last few things hooked up so I can run it longer. Seems there is an oil leak at the filter somewhere. The filter is tight so I am not sure why it is pouring out of there. I will find out though soon. In any case, It Lives!! Yes I took a video of it firing up the first time. Not sure how to post it though.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Oct 16 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Scott

Thats Great news. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Hope my startup goes as well

Dave
+Quote Post
914helo
post Oct 16 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,859
Region Association: None

Congratulations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) It's great to see the light at the end.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Oct 16 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #4

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Congrats! What did you do to resolve the clutch issue?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 16 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

must see video!

way to go scott!!!!
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 16 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Well, I must have a lot of air in the system cause it got up to 210 and I shut it off because the front hoses were cold. Infact, all the hoses were cold. Its not flowing at all. We are going up to get some more stuff and we will try it again. But it does sound awesome.
+Quote Post
swood
post Oct 16 2004, 01:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 251

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Awesome news Scott!! Must be a real rush. I was so excited the first time I got my 75 running that I scraped the whole rear right fender on the garage backing out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Can't wait to see it run!

Stevo
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 16 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #8

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Thats SIR Scott...to you....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Oct 16 2004, 02:30 PM
Post #9

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Way cool Scott!

Send me the video, I'll post it for you.

If you have FTP software, you can transfer it that way.

So, what did you have to do to make it work?
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Oct 16 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #10

neo life

Member No.: 159

Scott,
That must be a great relief and joy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) Congratulations!
Felix
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Oct 16 2004, 03:18 PM
Post #11

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

I have saved my 100th post for this thread........
CONGRATS Scott! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Finally, your dream is coming true!
Can't wait to hear it...or better yet,
go for a drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Lisa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Oct 16 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #12

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!

Way to stick with it! Great job! Pics! Pics! Pics!
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Oct 16 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,066

Scott,

Congradulations!!!!! I know the feeling hearing a healthy V8 rumble in a 914 for the first time. You must be carrrying serious wood about now.

Your at a critical stage where the cam needs to be broken in and the cooling system needs to be purged of air. The air can be removed easily by having at least one hole (1/8") drilled in thermostat with fill point left open during the initial warm up. This allows circulation of water prior to t/s opening and provides a easy path for air to escape. Get it up to 2000-2500 rpm with radiator cap handy. As temperature reaches 170F or so, you'll need to install the radiator cap. You'll see this necessary as the water begins to expand. Do not reduce engine rpm to idle speed until the cap is installed or turn engine off...........you'll have a real mess on your hands.

It takes two people to do this right. I'd also jumper across the radiator fans to have them "on" during the initial warm up. Burp it a couple of times after cool down J(engine off) by opening upper radiator petcock when coolant temperature reaches about 170F and plenty of coolant in overflow tank. This allows air to escape and be replaced by water.

Oil leak: I believe there is a plug (3/8" or so) that needs to be installed right above where the oil filter is installed.

Keep us posted.

John
+Quote Post
Howard
post Oct 16 2004, 05:26 PM
Post #14

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Mazeltov! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 16 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #15

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

pics!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) scotts busy busting his balls makingit work!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) go scott!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 16 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #16

Born to Drive

Well, it ran out of gas during the break in, will that make much difference? I just went up and got a 5 gallon can filled and am in the process of putting it in the tank. The temp seems to hold around 190 until it ran out of gas. It sure is responsive. The radiator and cooling system seem to be working ok, So far I have put about 5 gallons of antifreeze in the system and the recovery tank. There still may be some air in the system. I will get it all out eventually. I hooked up my gauges and the oil pressure stays around 75 and drops to 45 when it idles down. I can hardly wait to drive this thing. The throttle response is amazing. If it goes like it sounds, I am in for a hell of a ride. The first video I took of it at initial firing is about 17 meg, Joe came over and we did it again and its about 14 meg. If you have a site I can FTP these to, PM me and I will send them over.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Oct 16 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #17

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Open house at your place tomorrow?
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Oct 16 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,066

QUOTE(skline @ Oct 16 2004, 03:45 PM)
Well, it ran out of gas during the break in, will that make much difference? I just went up and got a 5 gallon can filled and am in the process of putting it in the tank. The temp seems to hold around 190 until it ran out of gas. It sure is responsive. The radiator and cooling system seem to be working ok, So far I have put about 5 gallons of antifreeze in the system and the recovery tank. There still may be some air in the system. I will get it all out eventually. I hooked up my gauges and the oil pressure stays around 75 and drops to 45 when it idles down. I can hardly wait to drive this thing. The throttle response is amazing. If it goes like it sounds, I am in for a hell of a ride. The first video I took of it at initial firing is about 17 meg, Joe came over and we did it again and its about 14 meg. If you have a site I can FTP these to, PM me and I will send them over.

Scott,

Your numbers look good. If it went above 190F after you ran out of gas, that is normal. Your oil pressure looks good.

It will take some driving to get all the air out but just burp it like I explained after every drive for the next week or so and you'll be fine.

If your running a carbon fibre clutch, baby it for the first 100 miles. As the guys at RH said, "drive it like grandma" during breakin. If not, you'll experience chatter. This one is hard to do with so much power under your foot but wise to follow.

Sounds like a cold beer night!

John
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 16 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #19

Born to Drive

Sure, come on down. I will be working on it to get it road worthy.
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 16 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #20

Born to Drive

Here is a pic of the gauges at about 2500 RPM during break in, This is right before I shut it down. The fans ran for about 10 minutes after I shut it down, is that normal? I am glad they at least kick in when it gets up to 190. The temp gauge is connected to the engine, the fan thermostat is on the radiator. I wired it so the fans would stay on and cool after shut down. Should I do it differently? The oil leak from the filter is intermittent, sometimes it leaks, and sometimes it doesnt. I am going to have to get underneath it and figure this one out. The clutch is Kevlar from Kennedy as is the flywheel.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:46 PM