Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Mechanic
cgnj
post Jun 26 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

All of these Delaware Valley Lurkers.

In my experience, DIY or make a friend. If I had to use someone, I'd take the drive to York.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Jun 27 2018, 05:16 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 20,915
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cal @ Jun 27 2018, 12:45 AM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Jun 26 2018, 08:13 PM) *

Reviving an old thread to keep the info in one place. I am looking for recommendations for a shop/person/world member relatively close to the western suburbs of Philadelphia to go over a few things on my car now that I’ve had enough time behind the wheel to really get familiar with it. I have a place I use for routine maintenance/state inspections, but they don’t seem to know 914s as well as I thought they did and am tired of being told everything is normal that might not be. I was hoping to get some current suggestions.

Chris Radbill - West Chester
http://www.radbillautomotive.com/?redirect=false
Jay Winsor - Bryn Mawr
http://www.jandjmotors.com
Mike Tillson - Overbrook
http://www.tillsonmotorcars.com/about.asp

Thanks! I think I am going to try Radbill. Someone I met with an older 911 was telling me about him too. Good to hear that he does 914s and not far from me.
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Jun 27 2018, 05:18 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(cgnj @ Jun 27 2018, 12:56 AM) *

All of these Delaware Valley Lurkers.

In my experience, DIY or make a friend. If I had to use someone, I'd take the drive to York.

I’ve heard good things, but a 1.5 hour drive each way is a lot unless something major needs to be done. I DIY as much as I can, but I don’t know what I don’t know.
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Jun 27 2018, 05:31 AM
Post #24

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329

I am in doylestown and have a lift. Makes diy a lot less painful. You are welcome to use it if and when I get my motor back in my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Jun 27 2018, 07:15 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(rgolia @ Jun 27 2018, 07:31 AM) *

I am in doylestown and have a lift. Makes diy a lot less painful. You are welcome to use it if and when I get my motor back in my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

I appreciate the offer! I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 4-post recently but limitations in my garage have slowed the progress.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 27 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Jun 27 2018, 06:15 AM) *

QUOTE(rgolia @ Jun 27 2018, 07:31 AM) *

I appreciate the offer! I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 4-post recently but limitations in my garage have slowed the progress.

Chris is a really good guy
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 27 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here is my thread from when I had work done by Chris Radbill's shop.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=288144

Mixed bag IMHO. They did good work and car was running well afterward. It did sit at their shop for quite a while before they worked on it despite scheduled time / date. Definitely had some sticker shock. Skilled mechanics deserve a premium but some labor seemed excessive (2 hours to tighten exhaust nuts, 45 minutes to adjust thermostat cable, .2 hours to reset master cylinder safety switch when the underside panels were already off to do the tie rods). I did need to redo shift linkage adjust two days later as set screw came loose. It also died on way home which, I can see why they missed, turned out to be loose connection to CHT.
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Jun 27 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 27 2018, 03:36 PM) *

Here is my thread from when I had work done by Chris Radbill's shop.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=288144

Mixed bag IMHO. They did good work and car was running well afterward. It did sit at their shop for quite a while before they worked on it despite scheduled time / date. Definitely had some sticker shock. Skilled mechanics deserve a premium but some labor seemed excessive (2 hours to tighten exhaust nuts, 45 minutes to adjust thermostat cable, .2 hours to reset master cylinder safety switch when the underside panels were already off to do the tie rods). I did need to redo shift linkage adjust two days later as set screw came loose. It also died on way home which, I can see why they missed, turned out to be loose connection to CHT.

Thank you for the feedback. This is very helpful. The key with most specialty shops is to get the best guy to work on your car, often the owner. Unfortunately, many of these pcar shops put their best guys on the high dollar 911s and 356s, and they leave our 914s and the rest of the Porsche models to the oil change guys.
+Quote Post
rbr271@gmail.com
post Jun 27 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 21,956
Region Association: South East States

I have a 1975 with the 1.8 fuel injection. It will not run right at cruising speeds and we are not able to solve it. I am being encouraged to put twin carb set up. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your help. This is my first post.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 28 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #30

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(rbr271@gmail.com @ Jun 27 2018, 06:51 PM) *

I have a 1975 with the 1.8 fuel injection. It will not run right at cruising speeds and we are not able to solve it. I am being encouraged to put twin carb set up. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your help. This is my first post.

You may want to start a new thread. You will get more responses with a new topic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 28 2018, 12:13 AM
Post #31

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rbr271@gmail.com @ Jun 27 2018, 04:51 PM) *
Installing carbs really isn't the answer unless you install an appropriate camshaft.

Check and replace all the vacuum lines if needed ... 1.8L hate vacuum leaks.

Visit Paul Bander's 914 tech web site ... lots of valuable FI trouble-shooting tips there ... https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:11 AM