Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will it be done before Parade?, Oil cooler installation
JamesM
post Jul 8 2012, 07:21 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Dave, If you, or anyone else comming out to parade get in a bind my house is available for working on cars. I am 7 miles from the autocross venue and have a large garage and 5 914s + random parts so hopefully will be able to address any issues that might come up. Its most likely going to be nasty hot and I would not recomend attmepting any work out in the sun. PM me if you would like my number.

Also, probably common sense but i seem to forget it now and then, SUNBLOCK! I have been getting burnt just going for 10 min drives with the top off.

One last thing of note for anyone obsessive like me, Craigs Service Station 904 South 1300 East, expensive but their 92 octane is ethanol free. Its the only place around that i have found that still has it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 8 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #42

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 8 2012, 12:27 AM) *

They are mounted together, but not well. (More zip ties!!) The red line should probably be replaced at some point, but it's doing OK for now.

The cooler works, temps are lower than I have seen in the past under similar circumstances. Hotter than I would prefer, but not too bad. As was mentioned previously in this thread, this type of setup is not going to be very suitable for track driving. The only time temps really got worrisome was at higher speeds. I backed off and they came back down again.

--DD

My dad had a problem with the starter on one of his motorhomes.
He got creative with HVAC duct work and created a scoop that grabbed air from underneath the vehicle....you might want to consider that.

If nothing else, it will protect it from rocks and possibly shield it from the HE heat that is rising up right there.

rich
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 8 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #43

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

It never even got to 250, which is an improvement over years past. It spent more time above 220 than I would like, but it's OK for now. Quite a number of things would help--a scoop, re-doing the fan setup so it blows upward (which will requite moving the cooler), solidly mounting things, and so on.

But it's functional.

--DD
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 8 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #44

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Are you all checked in Dave? Kick some 'Tech Quiz' tail for Zone 7!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 8 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #45

914 Idiot

I'm hoping to do just that! My record so far is taking the overall victory every other Parade I attend--and by that pattern this is an "off" year so I may wind up taking second place. We'll see how that goes.

We'll also see how the transmission swap goes. Will I have to run the entire autoX in 3rd gear?

--DD
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 9 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Dave, Just got your message about the tranny didnt, want to call you as its midnight. I should have the stuff to get you going and the place to do the swap. I work from home so you can swing by anytime tomorow if you like. Give me a call.

-James

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 8 2012, 09:22 PM) *

I'm hoping to do just that! My record so far is taking the overall victory every other Parade I attend--and by that pattern this is an "off" year so I may wind up taking second place. We'll see how that goes.

We'll also see how the transmission swap goes. Will I have to run the entire autoX in 3rd gear?

--DD

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 15 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #47

914 Idiot

I didn't make the autoX. In fact, the wife and I decided that our cars needed to be trailered home. We flew home on frequent flyer miles, got in this afternoon.

When we went to drive the cars up from the basement parking lot to the lot where they would be picked up, out of habit I shifted from first to second.

It worked. All gears were there, no problem at all.

All I can think of is that the problem is somehow heat-related. Probably the heat was aggravating damage or wear that I caused in previous years?

Weird stuff.

--DD
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 15 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 15 2012, 06:10 PM) *

I didn't make the autoX. In fact, the wife and I decided that our cars needed to be trailered home. We flew home on frequent flyer miles, got in this afternoon.

When we went to drive the cars up from the basement parking lot to the lot where they would be picked up, out of habit I shifted from first to second.

It worked. All gears were there, no problem at all.

All I can think of is that the problem is somehow heat-related. Probably the heat was aggravating damage or wear that I caused in previous years?

Weird stuff.

--DD

Dave, don't forget to check the adjustment on the linkage, also the bushings at the obvious spots.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:03 AM