Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - Home theatre advice
mike_the_man
post Oct 20 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #1

I like stuff!

Group: Members
Member No.: 809

Hi all,

I'm sure there are some audio/video-philes on here, and I respect everybody's opinion here, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm looking to set up a home theatre system in my basement. It's going to be a pretty large room (around 600 sq ft). I'm planning to get a projector, 5.1 surround speakers, and a decent receiver.

So far, I've been thinking about a InFocus X1 projector, a Yamaha RX-V750 receiver, and B&W VM1 speakers, with a sub.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Suggestions for other things I should look at? I'm not looking to spend too much, maybe $2500 - $3000.

Thanks,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Oct 20 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #2

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

Send a PM or message to Miles (Redshift). He used to install all that crap.

PM me for his e-mail if you want his e-mail.

Karl

err...

Qarl
+Quote Post
DougC
post Oct 20 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,307

I suggest you go to the forums (just like this one) for hometheater experts. I went through this about a year ago and Hometheatermagazine.com (or something like that) had tons of usefull info. As syked as I was about the prospect of buying all this equiptment, I was thoroughly sick of the whole subject once all was said and done. In other words, be prepared..everyone has an opinion and you can overdose on it. Oh, and another suggestion is to research one piece at a time. Make sure you find out the best piece and the best price and it's usually cheaper to buy over the net than you're local BestBuy or whatever. HTH.

Doug C
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 20 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #4

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Forget the Infocus x1 projector cheap but outdated, I have been researching for one my self for quite awhile, the new infocus 4805 is way better but needs room darkening to get the most out of it, the new Panasonic ae 700u looks to be the best for the money right now it has native hdtv resolution and has eliminated the screen door effect. I am looking at the 4805 at Costco right now it is bundled with the screen for 1,300. go here to read the latest reviews.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theat...-projectors.htm
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 20 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Oct 20 2004, 01:47 PM)
I'm planning to get a projector, 5.1 surround speakers, and a decent receiver.

Isn't surround sound up to 7.1 now?
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Oct 20 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(DougC @ Oct 20 2004, 02:26 PM)
I suggest you go to the forums (just like this one) for hometheater experts. I went through this about a year ago and Hometheatermagazine.com (or something like that) had tons of usefull info. As syked as I was about the prospect of buying all this equiptment, I was thoroughly sick of the whole subject once all was said and done. In other words, be prepared..everyone has an opinion and you can overdose on it. Oh, and another suggestion is to research one piece at a time. Make sure you find out the best piece and the best price and it's usually cheaper to buy over the net than you're local BestBuy or whatever. HTH.

Doug C

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Specially about getting sick of it all. This is one of the subjects that if you ask 10 people you will get 15 opinions. You might want to visit some of the high end video places that have little theaters set up so you can get a feel for what you like.

This sounds like a great project. Preparing for the Winter up there?

-Jeff
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Oct 20 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #7

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

That Panasonic looks pretty nice, but a little more than I want to spend right now. All of the reviews of the X1 that I've read seem to be pretty good, and it's cheap. I've seen it for as low as $700USD. The 4805 also looks pretty good. A couple others that I've been thinking about are the BenQ 6100 or 6200, and the Optoma H30. The reason why I like the X1 is the price, and it has the Faroudja (sp?) chip for de-interlacing, which is supposed to work very well.

DougC, I know what you mean. I've been to a few forums, and everybody seems to have a different opinion. It can be very confusing. I'm just trying to get a few more opinions here, as I think this board is a wealth of info, on not just cars.

scruz, Surround is up to 7.1, and the Yamaha receiver that I'm looking at will do 7.1, but not many DVDs actaully have 7.1 yet, and it's more money to buy 2 more speakers, so for now, 5.1 will have to do.

Keep the opinions coming!
+Quote Post
seanery
post Oct 20 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #8

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

cheap projectors look like cheap projectors
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 20 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #9

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

All you have to do is wait a few months and the latest and greatest will be cheap also,
the x2 is only a few months old and now there 800 bucks, the 4000s are getting cheap now that the 4005 is out. If your not in a hurry wait and watch the prices drop, I would like to get one that can project a native hdtv resolution for cheap.
+Quote Post
DougC
post Oct 20 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,307

Mike, I understand where you're coming from. So here's a suggestion for an excellent cheap Subwoofer - Get yourself a Dayton, it's usually like $100.

Doug C
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Oct 20 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi Mike, I'm just finishing up a room now. What the guys have said is true about opinions, way too many. Front projection requires a very dark room and much$$$$$ to look good. Take a look at the DLP rear projection TV's. I just bought the Sony 60" DLP TV, compared to every thing else it has the best picture (cost $5000.00) Yes Surround is up to 7.1, but your budget is too small for the extra two speakers. Best advice I got was to spend $$$ on the TV and the speakers. These are what you see and hear. Just like get good tires first if your going to start A/Xing. The rest can be piece mealed in later, although this does result in a crop of remotes.......another topic altogether. Good luck, you will run over budget..........Gary
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 20 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #12

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

I have an older Boxlight CD-555M DLP Unit hooked up to a Kenwood Home Theater system (Dolby 5.1 and DTS support). The Boxlight unit works great and I have a 120" diagonal picture.

Note: If you have a Boxlight unit and an InFocus unit right next to each other, you will notice that they are mysteriously identical.....except the Boxlight unit is cheaper.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Oct 20 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #13

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

I found a rear projection CRT-type Sony TV sitting on the curb one day. I went up and asked the people in the house if they were getting rid of it and they were. Said that the picture became narrow and they thought it needed a new tube. Turns out it was a few bad solder joints. I bought the service manual for $35 off the net and fixed it myself. Would have been $400 to have someone come and fix it!

Anyway, the point is that while there are a lot of reasons to dislike rear projection CRT sets they are actaully pretty cool and currently pretty cheap since no one wants them. Unless you want to spend megabucks, a modest rear projection CRT set is one of the only options for 1080i HDTV. They also have excellent contrast and color. Like a 914 though they require some effort. For one thing you have to be careful about not leaving static images on the screen, they don't last forever (ten years or so) and they sometimes need a convergence calibration after they are moved. Oh and they are heavy too.

-Tony
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Oct 20 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4

do not buy any high $$$ boutique speakers. get a set of axiom audio. trust me on this one. I just bought their speakers and had done a lot of research. the axiom were getting incredible reviews so I tried some. unbelievable sound!! I can see why they are compared to (and often review better) than speakers 5-10x the price. you buy them directly from the company in canada. they have amazing customer service.

www.axiomaudio.com
+Quote Post
bob174
post Oct 20 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 122

Hey, how much are replacement bulbs for those projectors?
+Quote Post
morph
post Oct 20 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #16

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

my home theater system is aiwa and sony.(same company) Cerwin Vega is my speaker of choice. i need to update my tv.imo a projector is not very clear.ive been looking around for a much bigger screen for my set up.for the size mitsubishi has a real nice picture,but every time im in a friends repair shop there is allways one sitting there getting fixed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) but this is only my opinion i like what im watching in my living room.
+Quote Post
charlesmac
post Oct 20 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,264

I think the bulbs are about $75 each. if i'm wrong, i'm sure someone here will tell me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 21 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #18

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Don't know about the X1, but I recommend looking at a projector that is 16:9 native aspect ratio. We have a Sanyo PLV-60HT, which we like very much.

I would also look at the Onkyo recievers... They give you a lot of bang for the buck and are regarded as a best budget buy by the Stereophile guide to home theatre (worth a look). We have a DS-797 which we are very happy with.
+Quote Post
machina
post Oct 21 2004, 05:48 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

QUOTE(charlesmac @ Oct 21 2004, 12:04 AM)
I think the bulbs are about $75 each.  if i'm wrong, i'm sure someone here will tell me.  ;)

your wrong...

The bulbs for these projectors start at over $300. Most are even more.

Crazy but true.
+Quote Post
morgan
post Oct 21 2004, 06:42 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 488

Outlaw sales stuff on line check them out. Dont have a web site do Google search
John
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:39 AM