Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stereo Suggestions?
BPGREER
post Oct 20 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,857

I was just wondering if any of you would like to share their thoughts on stereo set ups. I have an old AM only in my 914, that just isn't cutting it. Now that the car's on the road, I need some tunes. I have to admit, I like the look of the old, and would love to keep it looking original if I could get away with it. Anyone use an ipod? How do you have it set up? Pics? Any other locations for stereo? Thanks.

Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Oct 20 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

check out morphenspectra's speaker pods in the 914 Resource section. They are very nice.
I've got a couple sets here right now and am impressed with them.
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Oct 20 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Yeah, I've checked out their stuff, but am wondering more about stereo head units, amps, and or any alternate locations of these units. I really want to keep the dash looking original, but can't really find anything on how others have accomplished that.
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Oct 20 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,662

iPod works well. I use an iTrip to transmit to original (to me, anyway) blaupunkt. I havent gotten around to dealing with stereo stuff since I have been having gas leak scares :-).

iPods are cool :-).. But I am biased since I work at Apple.

David
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 20 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

Any standard DIN head unit will fit. You might have to take a file to the corners of the opening to fit the metal sleeve in. Amps must go in one of the trunks, most often. Don't cut your doors if they're uncut. If you ride with your seats forward enough you can put a set of 4" speakers behind the seats. I have them back there.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 20 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #6

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

If you have an iPod you need an Alpine head unit and their new link control for the iPod, all digital connection and you control it from the head unit. It is a sweat setup, saving the bones to toss one in my driver. My 914 does not have a radio yet. Not really sure I want one thou I have the stuff to put it in.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Oct 20 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #7

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

check out new Kenwood "EZ-500"

Very retro, I wish I didn't just buy a Sony
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 20 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Personally, I'm hyped up on the Sony with the full resolution TFT screen with video input. Video rearview mirror anyone? Might be cool to put a camera on the front under the bumper for a neat-o driving perspective displayed on the head unit.

Sony Head Unit
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 20 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #9

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Oh I get it you want the stock look with a killer stereo behind. Easily done still I sugest the Alpine if you have a iPod. But build a recessed stereo box, put it in there behind a cut open AM stock front plate. You glue up all your current stuff and make a fact pannel that pops off or flips down this hides your head form the pring eye and makes it look stock. If you get really wacked you can have the display show thru the stock AM chassis, keep the pod in the glove box or between the seats.

Old looking stereo in none op times, and killer tunes with 20,000 songs at your finger tips. Thou I listen to maybe 100 most of the time. It is fun to whip out a gem of a tune when somebody goes do you have. I say yes I do.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 20 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

I've been contemplating the options of running an iPod directly to an amp and leaving out the head unit all together.
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Oct 20 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Some great suggestions guys. I appreciate it. I too am considering running an ipod directly to an amp. Although FM radio would be nice now and again. Any other locations to put the head unit? I really havent' inspected the stock location too much, but do you have to cut up the basketweave to install a stereo there? Has anyone found an amp that fits under the seat? Questions, questions, questions.... Thanks. And any pics would be awesome (arent' they always).

Brian
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 20 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

The piece that your stereo goes through (three holes) is a false front.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Oct 20 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #13

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

hey Brian,

I've had great luck with Pioneer heads, Cerwin Vega speakers and a very cheap bass tube.

BTW, great dobie in your avatar. Our fourth dobie is laying at my feet as we "speak" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Oct 20 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #14

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

best stereo is a six with webers a WOT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

scott
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Oct 20 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #15

Thanks, her name is Chewbacca. She's 9 months old and a holy terror. Actually she's by far the coolest dog I've had. (First Dobe) She's laying on the couch with me now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Where do you fit a bass tube? Pass floorboard area?

Mark, thanks for the pic. That makes alot more sense now. Hate to asks stupid questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ...but, where do you get extra matching basket-weave material if you dont want to cut up that original piece?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 21 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

As far as I know it's available at all the usual sources. Of course it's better, IMHO, just to cut the one you've got. You're not destroying a national treasure or anything. As I've said it's available. And anyway there are no "stock" stereos, they were all dealer installed, so generally there's no value in the old stereos.
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Oct 21 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #17

I didn't know that they were all added by dealers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I guess I'm not super attatched to the radio in there. It just seems sort of strange to see the super high tech stereo flashing in that old cockpit. I checked out that kenwood ez-500, looks pretty nice. Anyone else seen some sleek heads that might go? I know, I know, "form follows function", but...It's gotta look good, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
DougC
post Oct 21 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,307

See if you can find a HarmonKardon "TrafficPro" it's like $1100 but you can get one for around $300 because it's being discontinued for the release of the "TrafficPro II". I got mine from CarToys a couple months ago, but maybe check ebay, etc. Did I mention it has GPS and displays directions on screen and/or by male/female voice prompts. It is not a super hitech looking unit, no multi-color, dancing equalizers, etc. Just a nice traditional amber readout that you can change to green or red IIRC. It also has a removable face plate and is a single disc unit with plenty of connections for amps, changers etc. I was told that it's the unit that's installed at European BMW dealerships for customers requesting GPS.
I was also told that an ipod could easily be hooked up to it - I'll definately be doing that once I get it installed in the 914. This is my recommendation, FWIW.

Doug C
+Quote Post
AndrewBlyholder
post Oct 21 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,791

Just a thought: could you use the ash tray to mount the ipod. If you modified the ash tray so that it could hinge downward after pulling it out, the ipod would be facing you and perfect position to be operated. Once you get the tunes going, flip it up and push it in, and it all disappears.

Following this theard with great interest as I'm no longer racing my daily driver 914, so now willing to upgrade the sound and accept the weight penalty.

Anyone fooled around with adding speakers to the head rests ala Miatas?

Andrew
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Oct 21 2004, 09:34 AM
Post #20

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My bass tube is on the passenger floor. I paid next to nothing for it (literally like $20 at Walmart), so I don't care if passengers put their feet on it, and it adds just enough low end to sound really good. It takes up some floor space, but my usual passengers are my kids, who are young, or my wife, who is only 5'3"ish. My buddy, who is 6'2", rides every so often, and he says it doesn't bother him.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:34 PM