Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stupid CV joint tricks - won't flex, Solved -assembled CV joint incorrectly.
smj
post Jul 8 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #1

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

Last night I repacked my CV joints. Couldn't get one on the axle until I turned the cage around so the inner-cage/race side with the bevel was facing the axle. Once I got past that the CV went on, got the outside circlip on, and the cage would flex around on the axle. Hooray.

So at each end, from the axle heading out, you've got: small end of boot -- spring clip (looks like a washer to me, but domed like a Schnorr) on axle, open side facing CV -- protective cap (attached to boot on mine) --CV assembly -- circlip.

This afternoon I get the stub axle on (with gasket) and prepare to reinstall on the car. But the CV joint won't take an angle, so there's no way to get the stub into the trailing arm/hub.

I figure I made a stupid mistake during reassembly -- any hints?

Sigh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 8 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(smj @ Jul 8 2012, 06:29 PM) *

Last night I repacked my CV joints. Couldn't get one on the axle until I turned the cage around so the inner-cage/race side with the bevel was facing the axle. Once I got past that the CV went on, got the outside circlip on, and the cage would flex around on the axle. Hooray.

So at each end, from the axle heading out, you've got: small end of boot -- spring clip (looks like a washer to me, but domed like a Schnorr) on axle, open side facing CV -- protective cap (attached to boot on mine) --CV assembly -- circlip.

This afternoon I get the stub axle on (with gasket) and prepare to reinstall on the car. But the CV joint won't take an angle, so there's no way to get the stub into the trailing arm/hub.

I figure I made a stupid mistake during reassembly -- any hints?

Sigh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well that's the only way it fits AFAIK. Bevel side to axle. If you aligned the cages wrong then yes, you need to pull it down. Big to little ridges align opposite of each other. If it's small to small or big to big then it's wrong. Also, when not fully extended/engaged the CV wants to bind.
+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 8 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #3

Ran out to yank on the ends a bit -- the CV is basically fixed in place. The end of the axle doesn't move in and at at all, which doesn't fit with what I remember taking it apart. The axle is basically locked in place.

During reassembly with the axle vertical in front of me: I put the boot on the axle, then dropped the spring clip onto the axle with the "domed" or "more open" side facing up - it sat against the edge machined on the axle past the splines. Then the CV assemly went on top of that, bevel facing down. That clip was loose in the boot when I pulled it off during disassembly, so I can't figure out where else it would go in the order...

+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 8 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 8 2012, 05:35 PM) *

If you aligned the cages wrong then yes, you need to pull it down. Big to little ridges align opposite of each other. If it's small to small or big to big then it's wrong.

Okay wait - I saw ridges on one side of the inner cage lump, but didn't notice any on the outer cage faces. Did I miss something obvious there? Or am I trying to mach the ridges on the inner cage lump to something on the big honkin' chunk of the main body / outer carrier of the joint?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 8 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

The search does work ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=35288
(You can fast forward to post 28 in that thread)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 8 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 8 2012, 05:54 PM) *

The search does work ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Thanks. Put it down to newbie panic for a first time out with the halfshafts - I've been reading posts about 944 CVs and 911 hubs and milled 914 axle shafts until my eyes crossed, but didn't remember that sequence.

I had seen a post about lining up the closer vs. farther spaced grooves in the inner race vs. the outer race, but thought that was mostly to do with being able to insert the complete cage with bearings at 90 degrees. At least now I know I've got to take the whole thing to bits again and can start on that after I finish scarfing down some food...

THANKS!!!
+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 8 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #7

First, to be clear - what's on the car (we're talking about the -6 here) are 914 CVs. In fact it even has a 33 spline 914-4 axle shaft with them, the original -6 shafts I half expected aren't there. Anyway, if 914 CVs are designed the same as 944 CVs per post #28 SirAndy referenced, then yes I've inserted the cage rotated a bit:

Attached Image

You can see that in mine, the narrow sections of the inner race are matched to the narrow sections of the outer race. According to #28 they should be narrow-to-wide, so I'll see how far I can get tonight...
+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 9 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Put both joints back together the right way, they are now all kinds of floppy. Now using search function for tips on getting the stub axle into position...
+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 9 2012, 03:10 AM
Post #9

Lost in a sea of CV joint discussions when I searched. Went back out to the car and wrestled with it for about five minutes and got the stub axle in. This time I sat facing the wheel from outside, got my hands on opposite sides of the back of the CV joint, and basically forced the thing to pivot the way it needed to. Used the bolt heads for better grip, a little leverage.

So ieverything's back together and the car is sitting on four wheels, back in the garage. I'll get the proper torque on the castle nut tomorrow.

Many thanks to 76-914 and SirAndy for setting me straight, and everybody else for tolerating the noise.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:58 PM