Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The white 74 - restoration/ 6 conversion, ? - 2056 - 2.7 w/CIS - 2.7 w/dual carbs - finally a 3.2
JStroud
post Jul 10 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

I started a restoration thread for theYellow 75
And the New car thread when I bought the white 74.
But since the yellow project has been put on hold, I guess I need a white 74 restoration thread, So here we go...

Here are some pictures of the car when I first bought it last November.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

At least the lights all work!

Attached Image

Attached Image

That doesn't look good

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The first month it spent on jackstands while I worked on the engine and brakes to get it driveable and able to be registered.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Put in some new used seats, a dash mat, some carpet pieces and floor mats, a stereo and speakers, a new steering wheel, and fixed the odometer.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

After months of driving/working/driving/working, replaced the AAR - twice, the MPS - 3 times, decel valve -once, McMark adjusted my valves, sealed the tranny, replaced the cracked windshield, and drilled/taped and plugged 3 leaking galley plugs, that was a long day, ya McMark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . Well I finally got it looking and running fairly well, been driving the piss out of it, almost 8K miles since december.
Drove it to WCR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
My car on Laguna Seca

Attached Image

Drove it in an autocross school, and two AX races. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image

But now it's time for big changes, I had built (McMark) this 2056 for the yellow car.

Attached Image

And it's been sitting on my workbench since December waiting for the yellow car to be ready. The yellow car's going to be a while..... So I decided to put it in the white car instead, but not only that, the D-jet system on the car now has been a pain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) to sort out and its taken 3 complete systems to finally get it running this good, still needs a better MPS.
So I pulled the trigger and bought a crankfire-Microsquirt FI system from McMark at Original Customs.

Here's part of it

Attached Image

No more distributor, no more obsolete FI parts, and tuning with my laptop how cool is that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Thats almost caught up....more to come

Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 10 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Very cool! How many 914's do you own now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I lost track.

Some day I will get back to mine...
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 10 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 10 2012, 07:51 PM) *

Very cool! How many 914's do you own now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I lost track.

Some day I will get back to mine...

Thanks Mike, just the two, one to drive, one to restore. But this throws a hitch in the logic, both cars down at once. Have to get the engine swap done fast.

Yours would be running, but I think you like working on it more than driving, how many engines have been in that car since you've had it....I lost track (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 10 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 10 2012, 08:32 PM) *

Yours would be running, but I think you like working on it more than driving, how many engines have been in that car since you've had it....I lost track (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Jeff

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 10 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #5

So a couple of weeks ago I began getting ready, first thing I did was put the rear suspension back on the yellow car and roll it out of the garage to make more room.
Its new home for now.

Attached Image

Then I got the engine off the work bench, and pulled out the tranny I rebuilt last May at Dr Evil's clinic. Now if I can just figure out where all this stuff goes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) And I thought the motor was already built.

Attached Image

First the new crankwheel and sensor.

Attached Image

Then I got to thinking about it, now's the time to add an external oil cooler, can't hurt.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Epoxying my new CHT sensor

Attached Image

Almost together, the alternator, intake, and exhaust then the motor will be ready for install.

Attached Image

This weekend, after the Petaluma swap, gotta drive it one more time, the old engine/tranny/exhaust are coming out so I can start the engine compartment repairs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Hoping to have the new engine in and tuned, in time to drive it to Beaver for RRC in September (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

More to come.

Jeff

+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jul 10 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

Tried to subscribe, but I can't get it to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Let me know if you need a spectator hand.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

See ya Saturday!
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Jul 10 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,192
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Jeff, what's the configuration of your 2056? I built mine to a 2056 about a year and a half ago and Mark will be working on my MS & distributorless ignition kit as soon as he gets a couple of other projects done.

I'll have a thread when we get closer.

Thanks,
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 10 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jul 10 2012, 09:37 PM) *

Jeff, what's the configuration of your 2056? I built mine to a 2056 about a year and a half ago and Mark will be working on my MS & distributorless ignition kit as soon as he gets a couple of other projects done.

Thanks,

Hey Jim, I had all my machine work done by HP machine in Lodi. I bought the KB pistons, had my stock cylinders bored. I also bought the 9550 super cam kit from Jake. The heads were totally rebuilt, ports polished, new seats and valves. All chambers were balanced, all rotating parts were balanced. Then I took it all to McMark and he built it and broke it in, I think he said 9.1-1 cr.
Can't wait to drive it.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 10 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 10 2012, 09:34 PM) *

Tried to subscribe, but I can't get it to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Let me know if you need a spectator hand.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

See ya Saturday!

There's always more beer in the fridge than I can drink alone in one day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
With the heat though my Saturday afternoon start might turn into Sunday morning, but your welcome if you're free, and not doing anything (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

See you Saturday for sure if you're going to make it to Petaluma.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Jul 12 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 10 2012, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jul 10 2012, 09:37 PM) *

Thanks,

Hey Jim, I had all my machine work done by HP machine in Lodi. I bought the KB pistons, had my stock cylinders bored. I also bought the 9550 super cam kit from Jake. The heads were totally rebuilt, ports polished, new seats and valves. All chambers were balanced, all rotating parts were balanced. Then I took it all to McMark and he built it and broke it in, I think he said 9.1-1 cr.
Can't wait to drive it.

Jeff

I'm using Jake's 9530 cam with compression at 9.5:1 and lightened flywheel. Should be pretty comparable, performance wise but they'll tune differently.

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 12 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jul 12 2012, 01:46 PM) *

I'm using Jake's 9530 cam with compression at 9.5:1 and lightened flywheel. Should be pretty comparable, performance wise but they'll tune differently.

Jim, Rich Wilner has the same setup from McMark in his car, he posted his tuning file in his Microsquirt conversion thread, his file should get both of ours tuned fairly close to get started, thanks Rich.

Should be a fun set up, actually getting excited about pulling a perfectly good running motor, but it will go in the yellow car someday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
bembry
post Jul 12 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Man--you're doing good stuff with that white car--I like!
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Jul 12 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 12 2012, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jul 12 2012, 01:46 PM) *

Jim, Rich Wilner has the same setup from McMark in his car, he posted his tuning file in his Microsquirt conversion thread, his file should get both of ours tuned fairly close to get started, thanks Rich.

Should be a fun set up, actually getting excited about pulling a perfectly good running motor, but it will go in the yellow car someday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Jeff

Jeff, I've tried to open the zip file that he posted on April 24. It appears to be empty, unless I need another program to open it.

I think you're right, we should be able to get our cars up and running quickly using information from those who have already done this.

What's you schedule? I drive the car every day so I want to get all of the pieces & software together and get parts installed and tuning 99% done in 2-3 days. Mark is going to help with the install, so I'll have a good source for help.

Jim
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 12 2012, 09:48 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(bembry @ Jul 12 2012, 07:20 PM) *

Man--you're doing good stuff with that white car--I like!

Thanks, saw the pic of you and dad in your car...very cool nice picture, love the color of your car, looks to be in nice shape.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 12 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jul 12 2012, 08:03 PM) *

Jeff, I've tried to open the zip file that he posted on April 24. It appears to be empty, unless I need another program to open it.

I think you're right, we should be able to get our cars up and running quickly using information from those who have already done this.

I've tried to open the zip file that he posted on April 24. It appears to be empty, unless I need another program to open it.

What's you schedule? I drive the car every day so I want to get all of the pieces & software together and get parts installed and tuning 99% done in 2-3 days. Mark is going to help with the install, so I'll have a good source for help.

Jim

I would think you would need their program to open the file, haven't looked in to that part yet. I'm planning on pulling my old motor this Sunday, then I have some rust to clean up, new battery tray, SS fuel lines, new cables then the new motor goes in. Then I'm loading it on my trailer and taking it to original customs to finish it and tuning.
Hoping to get it done quickly also, I don't drive mine every day but close, it's going to be tough to be without it, I've gotten used to be able to drive it when ever the mood strikes.

Jeff
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 12 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Is this the motivate-Mark thread? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Two cars leaving this weekend. Two cars leaving next week. Things are looking good for a 12h wiring harness building bonanza!

Jeff, you're engine is looking gorgeous! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) Nice work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 12 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 12 2012, 09:29 PM) *

Two cars leaving this weekend. Two cars leaving next week. Things are looking good for a 12h wiring harness building bonanza!

Jeff, you're engine is looking gorgeous! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) Nice work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Ya I need the rest of my kit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Should have the car in your shop with the motor in by July 29th....pick it up on the 30th, that should be enough time right.

Thanks, the motor has come along nicely, it's only taken almost a year and lots of $(don't tell my wife) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

See you on the 29th (I'll bring your tire rack) or sooner if I decide to take some time off from the job, I let myself do that sometimes, gotta keep the priorities straight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Jul 13 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #18

Yep, I,m ready too.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 14 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jul 13 2012, 09:38 AM) *

Yep, I,m ready too.

See Jims ready too, I guess this is the motivate Mark thread.....is it working (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 14 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #20

Car ran great to petaluma and back today, had some time this afternoon and got the crimped connectors off my new injectors so they're ready to install.

Attached Image

Started putting my intake together, cut my throttle body shaft down 10mm to fit the new throttle position sensor, and mounted the cold start valve block off plate.

Attached Image

Tomorrow the engine/tranny/exhaust come out and go in storage for the yellow car, and the rust repairs begin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:36 PM