Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The white 74 - restoration/ 6 conversion, ? - 2056 - 2.7 w/CIS - 2.7 w/dual carbs - finally a 3.2
JStroud
post Jul 15 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

Well got everything on top disconnected.

Attached Image

And got the car up in the air.

Attached Image

Just the bottom connections and drop it out, no more drives for a while (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 15 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #22

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Motors out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

It dropped out fairly easy, just went slow and kept stopping to check things since I was by myself. Was going to remove the heat exchangers and exhaust before I dropped the motor. Got one nut off, second one, the harder one to get to is a nylon lock nut (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) DAPO, can't get a socket on it, thats going to be a fun one, think I'll deal with it later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Well now the real work begins, cleaning, scraping, sandblasting, and painting four of my favorite things....good thing I stocked up on beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

I think for the rest of the day I'll play with my new motor, still have the intake and exhaust to finish.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 16 2012, 06:02 PM
Post #23

Well I ended up staying home and worked on my car today. I got the trunk and engine compartment stripped down of the bolt on parts.
The trunk needs some attention as well as the engine compartment.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then I thought I might as well fix this as well, PO thought they needed starter access through the trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

I got the battery tray cut out and cleaned up the area around it.
This is what I found (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

I knew the battery tray was toast, and had planned on replacing the engine shelf where the dealer cut for the AC install, but the rest is more severe than I had hoped for.

I know when I'm beyond my capabilities, I put in a call to McMark today, looks like it's going to Original Customs sooner than I had planned, and the bill is going to be bigger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Oh Boy! Not sure if I'll meet my deadline to get the car back on the road in time to make RRC, we'll see.

If it ends up being to severe to my wallet, I may have to switch back to working on the yellow car.

I need a beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jul 16 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #24

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

What a bummer Jeff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 16 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I can get that knocked out in one day for you. Tow the car down and go work on my house while I work on your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 16 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 16 2012, 09:27 PM) *

I can get that knocked out in one day for you. Tow the car down and go work on my house while I work on your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sounds good to me, thought it might be a bigger job, let me know when you want it. Unloading my flat bed trailer wednesday morning, could load the car and bring it any time after that......like wednesday afternoon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Jul 17 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 6,407

Jeff, That suck's about the rust, but your a mad man on getting it done. I wish I had your energy. But I'm glad to see you get it done right. Mark will get it done right, keep us posted with your progress. Good Luck John
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 19 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Jul 17 2012, 06:33 PM) *

Jeff, That suck's about the rust, but your a mad man on getting it done. I wish I had your energy. But I'm glad to see you get it done right. Mark will get it done right, keep us posted with your progress. Good Luck John

Thanks John, ya the extra rust damage sucks, but that's the chance you take with an old car. Talked to McMark today cars going over on Monday for the cut and weld.

After work today I broke out the angle grinder and some stripping pads and cleaned up the adhesive from the engine pad, and most of the rust in the trunk. This weekend I should be able to get the rest of the surface rust sandblasted and pressure washed before it goes to Original Customs for the major rust repairs.

Jeff
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 19 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #29

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

If you need a work party... I'm in. Galt's not that far away...
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jul 19 2012, 07:16 AM
Post #30

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 19 2012, 05:18 AM) *

Count me in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 19 2012, 08:02 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 19 2012, 06:16 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 19 2012, 05:18 AM) *

Count me in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Count me in too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Saturday would be the best day, going to try to strip the interior, and pull the gas tank to run new SS fuel lines and cables. Then put it on the trailer to go to Marks.

Sunday is sandblast and pressure wash.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 20 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #32

Got home early today so I decided to finish up the exhaust and work on the intake.
Oh did I mention I bought a Triad exhaust, Dave at Triad did an awesome job, he even added the fitting for my oxygen sensor for me. He was great to deal with, can't wait to hear how it sounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

The alternator and front tin and the motor is about ready to go in.

Lennies914 is coming over tomorrow to help pull out the interior, and change the back window, and run some new cables, oh and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Decided to make it a work party if anyone else is free and feels like coming over, there's a thread about it somewhere in the garage. Blame Robw for the late notice...it was his idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 20 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #33

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Im watching the kids tomorrow after all.

I would encourage others to go to Galt. wrenching on 914s is fun and a great experience.

Although Galt is ranked 64th on the top 101 cities for residents in homes for the mentally ill... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 21 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 20 2012, 08:58 PM) *

I would encourage others to go to Galt. wrenching on 914s is fun and a great experience.

Although Galt is ranked 64th on the top 101 cities for residents in homes for the mentally ill... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

You're a funny guy Rob, it could be true though don't go into Galt much, my place is out in the country 11 miles from the city of Galt, not sure why my address is Galt, the Wilton post office is only 3 miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Sorry you can't make it, at least it gives us someone to talk about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Maybe we'll do a BBQ in august.

Jeff
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 21 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #35

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 21 2012, 05:34 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 20 2012, 08:58 PM) *

You're a funny guy Rob, it could be true though don't go into Galt much, my place is out in the country 11 miles from the city of Galt, not sure why my address is Galt, the Wilton post office is only 3 miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Sorry you can't make it, at least it gives us someone to talk about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Maybe we'll do a BBQ in august.

Jeff

BBQ???

Yes!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Jul 21 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #36

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

The zip file I posted should extract to an msq file. You can open it with tunerstudio. I would post links but I am on my iPhone -- google it, the company who makes the software is efi analytics. The free version will get you started but I highly recommend upgrading to the paid version so you can use auto tune.

I am no ms expert but I know more than nothing, feel free to pm me questions or post them here and I'll do my best!
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 21 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(rwilner @ Jul 21 2012, 06:27 PM) *

The zip file I posted should extract to an msq file. You can open it with tunerstudio. I would post links but I am on my iPhone -- google it, the company who makes the software is efi analytics. The free version will get you started but I highly recommend upgrading to the paid version so you can use auto tune.

I am no ms expert but I know more than nothing, feel free to pm me questions or post them here and I'll do my best!

Thanks for the info Rich, I'm sure when I get into the tuning phase I'll have questions, enjoyed talking with you last time appreciate all the great info.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 22 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #38

Lennie came over yesterday, got the interior all pulled out, and the rocker panels removed. There was more rust under the seat area, go figure, so instead of running the new cables and lines, we chipped all the tar out in the seat area.
Most of it ended up being not to bad, a couple of spots under the passenger seat will need Marks attention, maybe one new seat bracket. At least the longs looked good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

So today I decided to pull the pedal cluster and front carpet, and finish removing the floor tar. See what other surprises I can find, might as well find it now and get it all done while its in Sonoma.

It was HOT (99) here yesterday, so we quite working on the car around 1:30 jumped in the air conditioned truck and drove to Penn Valley and picked up Lennies new toy, don't tell his wife, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I'm sure he'll tell you all about it soon.

Well got to get busy, going to be 100 today!

Jeff

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 22 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #39

Finished cleaning the tar off the front floors, the tar removal wasn't as bad as I was expecting, after everything I'd read. The seam sealer was a bit tougher, but got it cleaned out. Unfortunately under the front tar reveiled more rust and a few more holes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

Got a few more parts to take off, a whole bunch of parts and hardware to label and get boxed up...my garage looks like a swap meet right now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
couple more hours then its time to grab a beer and go jump in the pool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/scuba.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 30 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #40

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Progress!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 12:12 PM