Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The white 74 - restoration/ 6 conversion, ? - 2056 - 2.7 w/CIS - 2.7 w/dual carbs - finally a 3.2
JStroud
post Mar 21 2015, 09:45 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

OK...almost there, Last week I got the tube with -AN fitting welded on from McMark, to modify my oil cooler. I cut the existing tube and mount, and fit the new tube on, ready to weld.

Attached Image

I had bought a new ring gear adapter and stage II clutch and pressure plate from KEP, I was planning on reusing the flywheel from the engine.

I took the flywheel and clutch parts to my machinist to surface the flywheel and then balance it all, I also dropped off the oil cooler to be welded.

Got a call yesterday.......flywheel is too worn to surface... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

But the oil cooler is welded.....
So I ordered a new flywheel yesterday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) now when it comes in I just need to get it all balanced....and pick up the oil cooler.

Well the threads caught up, now I need to get busy.... really like to drive it to WCR in April..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 21 2015, 11:15 AM
Post #62

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Glad you updated your thread. You right. A lot has happened... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Mar 21 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Do you still have those 14" Dunlops? I bought the last set of those tires from Tire Rack 195/55/15. I'm pretty happy with them, but the smaller diameter means more shifting and higher revs on the freeway. The ride is more supple than the P6000's I had before, but turn-in is not as crisp. I feel the compound is more sticky though.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Mar 21 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #64

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 21 2015, 10:15 AM) *

Glad you updated your thread. You right. A lot has happened... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Yep lots of changes.....over a couple years....

Yes I'm still running the same tires, really like them in the summer around town, but when it's cold or too wet not so much. Rev's were too high on my trip driving straight freeway, but I've fixed that with a set of 7 X 16's sitting in my shop waiting for tires.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Mar 23 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 11,426

Jeff,
Lots of work done...almost there. Your a jack of all trades...very talented.

Can't wait to see it done and you on the road again.

Dave
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 24 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #66

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Wow! That is a ton of work and I am impressed with all of it.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Mar 26 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #67

Thanks Dave and Michael, its been fun, if my health hadn't taken a turn for the worse at the end of last year it would have been done by now. Finally doing better so should be soon, its been down since the middle of June last year....can't wait to drive it again.

Now for an update: Got my wire harness roughed out and labeled.

Attached Image

Routed it through the firewall into the cabin. Now I just need to install the connectors in the engine compartment.

Attached Image

Still need to finish routing it through the tunnel then I'm installing a new separate fuse block under the dash to hook up the start/run power for the DME, fuel pump, radio, aftermarket fog lights, and other accessories. I've also incorporated my center console gauge wiring into the harness.

Attached Image

Changed the rubber fuel lines on the intake, cut off the crimped connectors, and installed the new fuel hose with FI hose clamps.

Attached Image

Then I finally found a good deal on a rennshifter....thanks Bob....this is an upgrade I've been wanting to do.

Attached Image

Should get my flywheel and clutch back all balanced tomorrow, and my oil cooler all welded up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) That should get things moving along.

+Quote Post
Erben914
post Mar 26 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 15,314
Region Association: Central California

Very nice Jeff. That shifter looks sweet!
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Mar 28 2015, 11:44 PM
Post #69

QUOTE(Erben914 @ Mar 26 2015, 09:53 PM) *

Very nice Jeff. That shifter looks sweet!

Thanks Eric, Looking forward to getting it installed, but I think I'll wait till after WCR....I've already got enough to do to get ready now.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Mar 28 2015, 11:51 PM
Post #70

Went to the breakfast this morning, but manage to get a couple of hours in the shop.
Got setup to install the harness connectors.

Attached Image

Got the female 14 pin connector on the car harness, and a 2 pin connector on the center gauge wiring for the oil temp and pressure.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Mar 30 2015, 08:24 AM
Post #71

We had our granddaughter for the weekend, but managed to get a couple hours in the shop yesterday. Installed a fuse block in the engine compartment for all the red wires connecting to the battery, never liked that setup, also needed 12v for the DME.
Now all my circuits will be fuse protected, wether they need it or not.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JStroud
post May 31 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #72

Had a setback getting my car done, my health took a turn for the worse and can't do much myself anymore. McMark came over and worked a couple of days in my shop and got the engine in the car, then he took the car to his shop and finished the installation. Thanks Mark, you're a good friend!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

So my car is now mechanically done and runs awesome. I've been able to take it for a few short drives and am very impressed with the 3.2. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I thought the 2.7 was fun, the 3.2 is amazing...so much power, definitely a great engine for these cars.

He also got my new renn shifter installed, loving that too. Now I need to upgrade the rest of the linkage back to the tranny.

3.2 in the car

Attached Image

Attached Image

Next I'm going to get the 16 X 7 Fuchs on the car, new tires should be here on Tuesday. I also ordered new bumper tops from 914rubber I have a set of early bumpers (no tits) I'm prepping for paint, then new tops. Cars running great now time to get it looking the way I've wanted.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 19 2015, 01:11 PM
Post #73

Yesterday Mike Bellis and Andyrew came by to help me get my 16 X 7 fuchs on the car, I bought these about 2 years ago from Jamie, about time I got them on the car.

Mike and Andyrew rolled the rear fenders until they finally fit, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) not too much pulling needed. I sure do like the way they look on the car.

Getting started

Attached Image

All done

Attached Image

Andyrew decided to do some body work while he was there, he pounded out the small dent on the early front bumper I had, then welded up the license plate holes, and the holes in the rear bumper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

Then he got all the welded holes grinded down, skim coated the front bumper, and sanded. A light sanding and paint and the bumpers will be done.

Attached Image

A big thanks to Mike and Andyrew, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) you guys are awesome, can't believe all you got done in just a few hours. Can't thank you enough for all your help.
Cars almost done now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 19 2015, 01:32 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice work guys! Those wheels look PERFECT! Can't even tell you pulled the rear fenders.

Hey Jeff, do you have a 6 badge for that thing? If not I'd like to send you this one:

Attached Image

I was gonna put it on my car but I'd rather get a 3.3 badge made instead. RJMIII did these a while back. You could either leave it polished aluminum (it's silver, not gold) or paint/plasti-dip it black. It'd go great with the theme either way. It's the exact size of the original one. Just PM me your address if you want it.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 19 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #75

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wheels look great Jeff! Absolutely my favorite look & wheels. 16" fuchs with black centers & polished lips. Congrats on getting the car closer to done. The work on your bumpers will really shine when you paint them. Always great having nice straight stuff. Looking forward to seeing those bumpers done & back on your car. Wish I could have made it down to help. Looking great bud
+Quote Post
turk22
post Jul 19 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #76

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(JStroud @ Jul 19 2015, 03:11 PM) *

Yesterday Mike Bellis and Andyrew came by to help me get my 16 X 7 fuchs on the car, I bought these about 2 years ago from Jamie, about time I got them on the car.

Mike and Andyrew rolled the rear fenders until they finally fit, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) not too much pulling needed. I sure do like the way they look on the car.

Getting started

Attached Image

All done

Attached Image

Andyrew decided to do some body work while he was there, he pounded out the small dent on the early front bumper I had, then welded up the license plate holes, and the holes in the rear bumper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

Then he got all the welded holes grinded down, skim coated the front bumper, and sanded. A light sanding and paint and the bumpers will be done.

Attached Image

A big thanks to Mike and Andyrew, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) you guys are awesome, can't believe all you got done in just a few hours. Can't thank you enough for all your help.
Cars almost done now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Jeff

Love to hear these stories, its a great community we have here!
Great work!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Jul 19 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 6,407

Hey Jeff, glad to hear you getting car done, I;m in the same boat as you need to get rear window resealed install new interior, new rear shocks, but need to clean garage so I can work on car, keep it up. John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 19 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #78

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

We had fun and good conversation. Let me know if you need anything else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 20 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #79

Thanks guys, this is the fun part, finishing up the last few items.
Appreciate the offer Chris, and yes this is a great group of people, all the help and words of encouragement has been overwhelming....thanks everyone.

Get your car done John, love to see it on the road.

Ordered the paint for the bumpers today....one step closer.

Jeff
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 20 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #80

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

looks GREAT Jeff!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:32 AM