Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what are the odds?, windshield r&r
lotus_65
post Jul 11 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

i'm in the process of going to the "murdered out" look (satin black trim, no chrome).

i have the flexible rubber windshield strip from mark @ 914 rubber and i'm calculating the odds i can:
  • remove windshield
  • add frit paint
  • reinstall windshield

all without breaking the glass.
i have more time than money right now and i think it would cost at least a few hundred bucks for a company to come out and do it, which i can't exactly part with right now.

what do you guys think?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 11 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Generally, from what I have experienced and seen the windshield will crack when you try to put the cutting wire through the corner of the windshield (usually the upper). I would think that if you heated the butyl with a hair dryer or heat gun to soften it prior to trying to push the wire through, you would have a greater chance of success.

Regardless, good luck.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 11 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

I never cracked mine pulling it out or reinstalling. However, I TOTALLY f'ed the seal up that I got from Mark. I didn't get instructions, but for the life of me I couldn't get the seal to stay on the glass edge correctly. It looked fine at first, but obviously I screwed up because the lower edge of the seal is now lifting in places. You might have different results, but either way, you need someone to help you. I had two people helping me and we still didn't get it right. At some point I'm just going to have a shop do it. Sometimes there are just things that should be left to professionals.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 11 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Trust "Slits' on this one. . . I'm extremely careful and couldn't pull it off. . . even the tiniest nick will produce a stress point and the glass will crack if moved. .

When I ran the piano wire under the corner, it cause an extremely tiny nick in the top corner, , , I had it loose all the way around but when I pushed it up from the rear it first got a crack about 1/2 inch long exactly at the nick . . . every time I touched it, it got bigger. . .But what do you have to lose? I found a new windshield for $250 locally. .
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 11 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 11 2012, 08:51 AM) *

I never cracked mine pulling it out or reinstalling. However, I TOTALLY f'ed the seal up that I got from Mark. I didn't get instructions, but for the life of me I couldn't get the seal to stay on the glass edge correctly. It looked fine at first, but obviously I screwed up because the lower edge of the seal is now lifting in places. You might have different results, but either way, you need someone to help you. I had two people helping me and we still didn't get it right. At some point I'm just going to have a shop do it. Sometimes there are just things that should be left to professionals.

That seal is installed about 1" at a time carefully and DO NOT STRETCH it. If it's the same that I have, it has butyl in the groove to stick it to the edge and is a PAIN IN THE ASS. I've done 3 and only had one lift in the corner.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 11 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #6

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Just in removing the glass on two, I was 50/50 with a helper. I went very slow and heated the wire. I was so close on my six almost there and clink.

For sure I will get a pro to put the new glass back in.

Bob
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 11 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 11 2012, 12:27 PM) *

That seal is installed about 1" at a time carefully and DO NOT STRETCH it. If it's the same that I have, it has butyl in the groove to stick it to the edge and is a PAIN IN THE ASS. I've done 3 and only had one lift in the corner.

Thats the one SLITS. Mark sells good stuff but I'm too stupid to get it right. I think when the window butyl heated up the whole thing slid down and thats how it got screwed up. Personally, I'd rather just pay someone to do it. They have the right tools and if they screw it up, its on them, not me.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Jul 11 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #8

all these comments sound like good advice.

i do have my son as a helper, so i wasn't going to fly solo. I was also going to make a jig from suction cup handles, then use a block and tackle setup to uniformly lift...

it sounds like a good idea when i think about it, but maybe the safer bet is to bite the bullet and have someone else do it.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 11 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #9

Installation is a breeze with 5/16" Butyl Tape from CarQuest (or flaps of your choice). We stretch the 5/16" just a tad and believe it or not, the 1/4" seems to be just a tad to small.

It comes with pads that sets the bottom depth and then it just a matter of making sure it is centered. Set it on the pads, let it lean back to the butyl, push down around the entire windshield to secure it to the butyl, blue tape it for 24 hours then pull the tape and pads ... wella .. installed.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 11 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #10

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

My butyl was so dry the windshield lifted up with no stick. Get some HT glass suction handles and 2 people. U can do this.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 11 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

If you do try to pull it yourself tape the glass from inside first. Fewer chard's to vacuum, later.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Jul 11 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 11 2012, 03:58 PM) *

If you do try to pull it yourself tape the glass from inside first. Fewer chard's to vacuum, later.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
LotusJoe
post Jul 11 2012, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Europa Twink Driver

Member No.: 11,085

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Jul 11 2012, 08:36 AM) *

i'm in the process of going to the "murdered out" look (satin black trim, no chrome).

i have the flexible rubber windshield strip from mark @ 914 rubber and i'm calculating the odds i can:
  • remove windshield
  • add frit paint
  • reinstall windshield
all without breaking the glass.
i have more time than money right now and i think it would cost at least a few hundred bucks for a company to come out and do it, which i can't exactly part with right now.

what do you guys think?

Have you considered having a new one installed. I had a new windshield done a few months ago. It was $220.00 including the new windshield. Took the guy about an hour and a half. If you used your old glass an installer would probably only charge you $100.00 or so. And they supply the materials. So really your only out about $50.00 for labor. That way if it gets broke it's on him to replace.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:01 PM